Highlighted
Best Answer

COVID-19 lead costs

Community Expert
Best Answer

eaWill Thumbtack lower the lead costs because of the COVID-19 pandemic?
I've seen lead costs in my category increase to $59 for a 4 hour event last week, which is ludicrous to begin with. And received a notice that on March 19 another increase?
With what's going on in our country and the world, and jobs more scarce now, I think that there should be a substantial discount in lead costs, or none at all for at least 2-3 weeks(which is average span of businesses and schools being shut down)

DJ Stevie 3-16-2020

*title edited by moderator on 04/13/2020 for clarity*

Accepted Solutions
Best Answer

Re: COVID-19

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@DJStevie @VelvetO @Jla Thanks for your questions.

The prices you’re seeing are based on two things:

• As of March 12, opportunities increased in cost to reflect the value they give. You'll see the cost of the opportunity before you reach out to the customer. Since these are priced separately from other leads, no other lead costs were increased.

• Thumbtack’s lead costs vary based on factors such as supply and demand. So while we haven’t changed how exact and partial match leads are priced, you’ll naturally see some fluctuation as the marketplace changes.

If you have questions about a specific charge, our Support Team can look into your account for you. 

It’s an unprecedented time and we know businesses are being impacted. Thumbtack is thoughtfully looking for ways we can help pros get jobs safely during COVID-19. For example, we’ve postponed an update for a few weeks as we figure out the best way to support our pros and business right now. 

In the meantime, we’ve created a few resources as a starting point: 

Lastly, we’re also working hard to ensure that you have the information you need. For up-to-date federal, state, local, and private resources we encourage you to visit our Business resilience board.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
replies
Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer
@DJStevie that's a good question. I was wondering the same thing. $59 for one potential lead? I'm a wedding decorator and leads range from $12-25.

Velvet Oasis Events
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer

@VelvetO
Yes the lead costs have gone this year from $41-$51-$56 and the other day $59.

Just wondering what Thumbtack is planning with this COVID-19 to helping us out.

DJ Stevie 3-17-2020

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer
@Drew,
I just checked my Opportunities Tab, and saw a job that I thought I would bid on, and the lead cost is $82!!!
Forgive me for asking as I did in a reply earlier in this thread, but in these tough times when leads are more rare than the past 6+ months, will Thumbtack be helping Pros out by not charging us, as other platforms are doing for a period of time, or at the least, lower the lead costs for both Direct and Opportunities Leads, and charge us once the country is getting back to normal?

DJ Stevie 3-19-2020
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Touching base and connecting as a community

Community Regular
Best Answer

I have been wondering why Thumbtack up their quote pricing by over $20 these past two weeks in the photography devision.  Seems like in these trying times they would lower the rates.  If we are not working right now it is hard to purchase a lead.  Especially when the  price per lead has gone up over 25 percent.

post merged to existing conversation by moderator on 02/24/2020

Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Touching base and connecting as a community

Community Regular
Best Answer
I am actually wrong. The price per lead has gone up even more. From generally around $25 to $45 to $75 dollars. That is a mark up of $50 percent. That is price gouging in these trying times. Come on what are you trying to do to us. Times are tough right now!
Best Answer

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@DJStevie @VelvetO @Jla Thanks for your questions.

The prices you’re seeing are based on two things:

• As of March 12, opportunities increased in cost to reflect the value they give. You'll see the cost of the opportunity before you reach out to the customer. Since these are priced separately from other leads, no other lead costs were increased.

• Thumbtack’s lead costs vary based on factors such as supply and demand. So while we haven’t changed how exact and partial match leads are priced, you’ll naturally see some fluctuation as the marketplace changes.

If you have questions about a specific charge, our Support Team can look into your account for you. 

It’s an unprecedented time and we know businesses are being impacted. Thumbtack is thoughtfully looking for ways we can help pros get jobs safely during COVID-19. For example, we’ve postponed an update for a few weeks as we figure out the best way to support our pros and business right now. 

In the meantime, we’ve created a few resources as a starting point: 

Lastly, we’re also working hard to ensure that you have the information you need. For up-to-date federal, state, local, and private resources we encourage you to visit our Business resilience board.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer
@Meckell,
Thank you for your reply, but my questions about how Thumbtack may help us, weren't answered. If I repeat them, then I risk them being deleted, edited, or my entire comment deleted.

This virus is more than 3 weeks old, which goes back beyond the March 12 increase in fees for Opportunities Tab. With that said, Thumbtack should have at least waited to increase fees, as other lead generation companies did, to see which direction the country was going to take.
Now you say that another update is being put on hold for a few weeks. Is this for another cost increase?

The added increase in lead costs has Pros thinking that Thumbtack doesn't have our backs, especially in these tough times.
Speaking of lead costs, especially in the Opportunities Tab, I know that this was discussed in another thread, but can't find it right now. But these lead costs should be less, not more, as they are "used" leads. "Customers" have reached out to other Pros already, possibly conversing with those Pros, and then we are given these leads as secondary , so they shouldn't cost us more than direct leads.
There has been an increase in Direct Leads as well. I am very confused as to why, in the past several months, that there have been more increases in both Direct and Opportunities.

Thank you for the resource links, but nothing shows me how I'm being protected by Thumbtack.. Thus, I'm following local news outlets as to how this pandemic will affect my business in the coming weeks and months.

DJ Stevie 3-25-2020
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer
@Meckell,
I wasn't able to edit my previous reply, so I am adding here in this comment box.
Has Thumbtack decided what they will do to help Pros with direct leads(if any come in) automatically charged?
Also, The lead costs in Opportunities Tab should be less as it's secondary because Thumbtack wants us to concentrate on Direct Leads. Many Pros are in agreement that the costs should be less, and has Thumbtack decided to address that concern?

DJ Stevie 4-1-2020
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

Hey @DJStevie my reply above is all the info we have to share at this point regarding your concerns.