Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: COVID-19

Community Expert
Best Answer
@Meckell,
Thank you. But I was hoping that Thumbtack would have something else to share with Pros, especially with this pandemic.

DJ Stevie 4-1-2020
Highlighted
Best Answer

Thumbtack Post COVID-19

Active Community Member
Best Answer

What should Thumbtack look like after the COVID-19 pandemic is over and Americans are going back to work outside of their homes?

I believe Thumbtack needs to steer the platform back to a model that puts the NUMBER ONE GOAL as "Help an individual get their project done by a Thumbtack Pro."

These are the Top 4 issues that I see with the platform in it's current form and some suggestions for change:

1)  Change the payment system to be hire focused.  Say you have a job that is posted and each pro that is contacted pays $30.  Let's say that this job has a gross value of $500 to the selected Pro.  And lets say 4 pros are contacted.  So Thumbtack makes $120 on a job with gross value of $500.  What if the selected Pro pays $75 (15% of the gross) and the non selected pros pay $20 each?  Now Thumbtack has made $15 more on this job post than they would have under the current system.  If the job poster doesn't select a pro, have the payment be $20 each.  This $55 difference would show that Thumbtack is truly interested in helping Pros get hired for gigs.

2)  Revamp the Opportunities tab.  Pros are not getting hired through this tab.  

3)  There is no way to differentiate between a serious buyer and tire-kicker.  There needs to be some sort of filter where job posters are asked if they are trying to understand what this service costs.  "I'm not sure" should not be an option for a budget range.  This question should be moved up to separate the job posters who say "I'm ready to hire" vs. "I'm trying to understand what this typically costs".

4)  There should be a way for Pros to give a masked quote for job posters that are just price shopping.  Limit it to 4 quotes and don't charge the job poster or the pro.  No questions, no messages, just a quick quote based on the info they give.  Ask more questions of the job poster so the pros have all the info they could need.  If the job poster is truly trying to educate themselves, they will answer more questions.   If they bounce, then they were never going to be a serious buyer of services anyways.

5) Market towards companies and organizations more.  A lot of business is being missed out on.  

Highlighted
Best Answer

Will Thumbtack be helping lowering lead pricing ?

Community Regular
Best Answer

With the current situation in which we are are all financially struggling I am wondering if Thumbtack will make a concious decision and lower their lead prices?  I am receiving leads in which i pay $18 to over $30 per lead and i get no response back yet I STILL  have to pay for them. I am losing money on people just "shopping around" and just read my response and do not respond. It would be great to hear back whats your experience. 

*post merged to existing conversation by moderator on 04/07/2020*

Best Answer

Re: Will Thumbtack be helping lowering lead pricing ?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

Hi there @cleanmycarpet and welcome to the Community. Other pros had similar questions and concerns as you regarding this situation. Be sure to check out that conversation and read our response here

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Lower lead prices

Community Regular
Best Answer

Thumbtack has mentioned that price per lead during this time will be lowered but I have seen no change at all. My prices are all the way up to $80 per lead and a lot of them have not been very good leads. I haven't signed up a client from Thumbtack in the past 8 months. Can you please lower your lead prices to around $30?

Thank you

*post merged to existing conversation by moderator on 04/10/2020*

Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Lower lead prices

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

Welcome to the Community @MaxK. We've had a couple of pros like yourself ask questions regarding lead costs at this time. Be sure to check out our response about that here.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: COVID-19 lead costs

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Hi Stevie, I remember your posts from last year and just wanted to add some info from my category...

Dec 9th. Recurring cleaning lead 3bed/3bath biweekly 41.99 I already thought this was high but since I was closing about 33-50% of TT leads it was right at the upper limit of what I would pay. Note I believe a year before the same lead was $16. Today 3bed/2bath 71.88 that for a $100 service, that means I'd be paying $150-213 for the customer and have to hope they keep their booking for a year to get the advertising cost to 10%, The actual result (last time I did the math) of every 2-week cleanings from TT is 12 services provided. So 12-17% if I maintain the insanely high 33% booking. TT is now the most expensive source of leads by FAR.

In About 20% never wanted to continue service they needed their home cleaned until they sell, recover from surgery, they hit the wrong button, etc, 10% go to a monthly cleaning after a few cleanings because their house is clean enough now. 15% cancel 25% of their service do to illness/vacations/they have income gaps. I have to fire 5% because of service creep that can't be renegotiated/they consistently cancel within 24 hours/they make the cleaner wait outside 30-90 minutes/pay late types of issue. 5% it's just a bad fit and they don't like us, 5% they decide to move/lose their jobs within 6 months. Another 10% have a life change after the 1 year mark so that leaves 15% who maintain the service they requested for more then a year.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Lead Costs: 2 Months into the Pandemic

Community Regular
Best Answer
Howdy,
I'm a personal trainer who's business for completely wrecked when gyms in NYC closed due to Covid-19. At the time I don't think any of us thought we'd still be dealing with all of this.

I went on thumbtack today just to see if they'd implemented any changes for the pros in terms of lead costs and wow somehow the leads are MORE expensive.

It's weird. I know there's going to be some corporate response. But with people being laid off, taking pay cuts and those of us who were self employed essentially seeing our income disappear it's impressive that thumbtack hasn't acted on behalf of the pros to discount lead costs.

2 months in and nothing. Definitely can't pursue rebuilding my business on thumbtack, when I would already have to charge less for a virtual session, with them charging $15-$25 for a lead. Especially with the constant issue of people ghosting and us getting charged anyway.

Really hoped Thumbtack would step up.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Thumbtack pricing since covid19

Community Regular
Best Answer

What is going on with TT pricing since COVID19????  Why have the prices gone up, I would think they would be working with their pros during this time.  I can't afford these prices, I'm facing a lot of competition in my field during this time, it was hard enough before the virus but if the pricing remains as high as it is, I will have to end my relationship with TT.