Highlighted
Best Answer

Crow's Fly Travel Distance

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Google map location has been added to profiles! Much needed and probably should be higher up in visibility. Does this affect how the system calculates distance between customer and pro? This is particularly relevant for large metropolitan areas where traffic is a massive factor. When a customer chooses X miles they are willing to travel, the distance is actually radius (i.e. crow's fly), and neither the customer nor the pro is explicitly made aware of this. Flying distance can be a very different affair when drving and this gives rise to many non-viable leads.

States
0 Likes

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Crow's Fly Travel Distance

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@Dessi Correct, it’s not pointed out to customers that the distance being shown is more of an “as the crow flys” distance, instead of an actual calculated drive time. The Google map that you see in your account is there for a viewing preference rather than driving travel distance. 

View solution in original post

replies
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer

@Dessi I'm happy to help clarify on this. When pros choose the option of "I travel to my customers", they've had the option now for a while to view the google map and choose the specific cities or radius that they prefer. However, when the "My customers travel to me", option is selected the customers will then be able to see all pros and choose how far they'd like to travel to them. The pros radius will not be in effect when the customer is choosing how far they travel to the pro.

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Thanks @Kameron! What you are saying is correct but stops short of hitting the answer.
"The pros radius will not be in effect when the customer is choosing how far they travel to the pro."
When a customer chooses travel distance, they are not made aware that this is a crow's fly distance, correct? They think it's driving distance, as this is what "travel" means.
Now that a Google map is added to pro profiles, is it used for calculating travel distance? Or is it just a cosmetic add-on and travel distance for customers is still calculated based on flying and not on driving?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@Dessi Correct, it’s not pointed out to customers that the distance being shown is more of an “as the crow flys” distance, instead of an actual calculated drive time. The Google map that you see in your account is there for a viewing preference rather than driving travel distance. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Got it! Thanks, @Meckell! I think this is a biggie. Both because it has a potent capacity to break a deal in a metropolitan area, and because in effect it misleads both parties. A way to manage this on the customer side is perhaps to give the Google map more visibility.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

Such a great suggestion @Dessi. Thank you!