Highlighted

Re: Decoding promoted leads.

Community Expert
Best Answer

@mmyang99 When you Promote your business and give us all of your job preferences (the jobs you do or don’t want), we can match you with as many quality leads as possible.

When you’re not Promoting your business, we’re not sure of which leads you do and don’t want, so we’ll send you those that are related to the services you provide within 150 miles. These won’t all be perfect leads, but you can decline whichever ones aren’t a good fit for your business without being charged.

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@Kameron 

Thumbtack should have a way to use job preferences for both Promoting and not promoting. Telling us that Thumbtack isn't sure of what leads we want or not, is not helping.

How about telling higher ups to use those preferences for both!!! Makes sense to me, and I'm sure many Pros as well.

Active Community Member
Best Answer

When you’re not Promoting your business, we’re not sure of which leads you do and don’t want, so we’ll send you those that are related to the services you provide within 150 miles. 

If I wanted to chase leads 150+ miles away, I would have opened up my service area to include those locations. But I didn't, in fact, I specifically blocked out certain towns/cities, so my vehicle wouldn't get stolen!!  That's what was so great about the map of service areas!! 

Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@AutumnElectric 

I hear ya, but unfortunately, from my understanding, the map of service area only works for us if we have Promote on.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

The creators of the promote "feature seem to believe that they understand how our preferences work. The "leads" that come in are vague and missing a lot of vital information necessary to calculate a good quote and specified response. 

Changes in the format of customer's leads are needed to make promote and the jobs tab work: 

Mandatory message box with details that do not exist in the three woefully generalized preferences we pros are offered. I am a caterer and most leads on TT have either contradictory or incomplete information as to the customer's budget, chosen venue, projected attendance and TYPE OF PARTY. 

Examples of the problems that exist now are:

1) 50-99 guests. Or, "less than 50". Really? This person has been encouraged by TT to be vague. After numerous contacts, many hires and stellar reviews, NEVER has a prospect given me so broad an estimate of attendance. The norm is by tens, as in 50-60 guests.

2) "Outdoor Event". Ok.... and this means??? A park? A backyard? A rented facility? A church? Who knows?

3) Budget: There are about 6 choices with decent ranges of about $15 between; such as: $35-$50 per guest, less than $15, more than 100. This is great. Now it becomes a little simpler to come up with a fair quote. Unfortunately, TT allows a complication: customers may click on EVERY budget option. No thanks. Too silly.

4) Type of event: who actually believes that a baby shower and bridal shower are the same? Or a communion and baptism are the same? A birthday and anniversary? Thumbtack does! Anyone else?

5) If an exchange of texts between the customer and pros were allowed BEFORE accepting a lead and setting a quote, that would inspire us to pay more to TT for their contact info so to take it to the next level. Here's why: customers LIKE talking about themselves. They LIKE being heard by a pro who is engaged and asking questions about their SPECIFIC needs and concerns. This exchange will show them that he/she is talking to a knowledgeable person that can serve them well. The PRO will also see that this is no ghosty click happy tire kicker.

6) One may assume that you have staff available to fix these "simple" problems; if not, why not hire a web design pro from here? 

Sure, I am a bit snarky about this, but then again, I have stuck by TT for 5 years and graced this site with a top notch profile. Additionally, These very observations are truthful and have been shared with support for three years and have been ignored. Now I see that TT believes they have made the process simpler. NO they have not. Here's some real life data about "getting in front of the customers": I have responded to leads in both the jobs tab and inbox within 15 minutes more than once. It did nothing. I am yet to see any actual data that supports turning on promote is beneficial. And a 20% discount on a $30 lead won't sway me. 

In conclusion, I wish to make clear that I feel no frustrations that need to be understood, no links to which I should be redirected, and certainly need no "pro tips" from non pros. This entire response to the thread has been about clarification and the enduring hope that TT will return to it's former "complicated" policy of pay as you go credits.

0 Likes