Highlighted

I am very reluctant to accept a direct lead

Active Community Member
Best Answer

As a Provider on Thumbtack, I am very reluctant to accept a direct lead that would charge me more than $5 upfront regardless if whether I'm chosen or not. I would be more inclined to accept the offer if I knew the fee would be waived - should the client decide not to use me. Your policy regarding billing the Provider upfront, whether they're hired or not is very lopsided, unfair, and a deterrent for Providers using Thumbtack. Who likes paying something for nothing - especially for leads that have no guarantees, and has the Pro in the thankless position of being left literally "holding the bag?"

*Title edited by moderator for clarity

replies
Highlighted

Re: How to, and tips for posting in the Pro Community

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I totally agree!!!
And after August 18th, when they will launch their new policy it will get even worse...
Highlighted

Re: How to, and tips for posting in the Pro Community

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I 100% agree, the new targeting leads is not working for me, especially when the client does not give a budget. I've also been charged for a lead that I cannot take due to Chicago's Covid travel restrictions. I received a direct lead late at night, then the next morning the Mayor announced travel restrictions to Wisconsin, so I didn't respond to the job, changed my targeted travel preferences and notified Thumbtack of the situation and they declined my refund. Seems they don't care much about the changing landscape due to the rules of a pandemic that is out of our control.
Highlighted

Re: I am very reluctant to accept a direct lead

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
So far seems like is nothing we can do. not even the customer only want ESTIMATES and not ready to hire we just lost the fee.
And get even worst if is an OPPORTUNITY as they called.
Finally seems like the customer ignore that is a cost to the contractor to bid in the project the minute we got choose in a direct lead.
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
How many of these leads are real? How many are going to 25+ other providers? How many of these leads are ppl just shopping around ? I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for a lead if I actually booked the job.
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I agree with all these comments. The targeting isn't working and I have to pay $40-70 for a lead which is outrageous . I'll be leaving the platform because most leads can't afford my services even though they reach out to me.
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
I think its absurd they are going to not show us in search results if we don't turn "targeting" They call it targeting, but the only difference is the fee is charged automatically, before you can look at the lead. I decline multiple leads a day. To think I would have to have paid a fee on all of them, is crazy. On the 18th TT will hide my business, and I will be looking at other websites to use.