Highlighted

Issue with Wedding Photography type jobs and Budget Range options

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Hello Thumbatck community members and administrators! @scottz @Meckell 

There seems to be a programmatic website logic issue regarding the event types (Wedding and Event Photography >> Weddings) and the budget ranges a customer can pick vs. minimum quoted by auto-quote listing and the minimum prices set by a pro. 

Let's say I have a minimum charge of $500 for 1 hour of wedding photography. I also leave budget preferences as checked for jobs Under $250 (typically only for very brief events, not weddings), and between $250-$500 (typically only for very brief events, not weddings), because other job types (such as corporate events, birthday parties) may not command such a high rate as the wedding photography/videography event.

If the customer selects event type Wedding, there is nothing to prevent them from selecting budget range of:

- Under $250 (typically only for very brief events, not weddings), or

- $250-$500 (typically only for very brief events, not weddings), even though those budget ranges state that they are not weddings.

So then any pro who charges more than a minimum of $250 for a wedding is either going to get auto-charged for that mismatched lead, or be forced to uncheck the Under $250 budget option. Someone like myself with a $500 minimum, has to go further and uncheck the between $250-$500 budget options to avoid such leads, even if those options are not for weddings, and therefore, be unable to compete for other types of services in those budget ranges.

To remedy this issue, the customer should not be able to see or select non-wedding budget ranges if they select job type "wedding". Otherwise, pros will be paying for low-budget wedding leads that are outside of their specified minimum starting price, because the customer did not read that those prices are not realistic for weddings. Alternatively, which is programmatically a bit more difficult option is to not match customers indicating lower budget options with those pros that have a minimum starting fee that exceeds those budget options. 

Furthermore, the category "Weddings and Event Photography" should be split into separate categories. There should be two high-level header categories instead of that one. 

1) Wedding and related photography

• Wedding
  • Engagement
  • Bridal

2) Event Photography (non-wedding), with current job types:

• Birthday Party
  • Corporate Event
  • Baby shower
  • Prom / formal
  • Reunion
  • Religious event
  • Concert
  • Graduation 
  • School event
  • Sporting event
  • Other
  • + add in Funeral

What are your thoughts on this?

replies
Highlighted

Re: Issue with Wedding Photography type jobs and Budget Range options

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

Hi there @DNGVideo. I appreciate you taking the time to write this post and share your feedback! You make some valid points and I'll be sure to pass them a long to our product team. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Issue with Wedding Photography type jobs and Budget Range options

Active Community Member
Best Answer
This has been an issue for years. Lots of event pros complained about this when they combined the categories. We tried to educate the decision makers on why this model is flawed for the exact reasons you mentioned to no avail.
0 Likes