Highlighted

It’s normal to get stuck on your profile intro. These ideas should help.

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer
Best Answer

Outerlands_Introduction.jpg

I’m a copywriter at Thumbtack who’s helped with profile makeovers for dozens of pros at our community events.

I always find that the hardest part to write is the profile intro. It’s a lot of work to find the right way to sum up who you are, what you do and why you do it.

Luckily, you don’t have to be a professional writer to create a good profile introduction. You just have to break things down.

Here are some tips that seem to work for everyone.

Get in touch with your “why.”

Find out what’s really driving you, then say that in your profile introduction. Your passion will shine through what you say and invite more customers to contact you.

A word of warning, though: You have to say more than you like to help people.

That’s what I heard from my colleague Appio, a pro success manager who has helped literally hundreds of pros make their profiles better.

“Every pro likes seeing happy customers, so what else motivates you to offer your services?” he says. “Do you like working with your hands? Do you like the collaborative process of working with your clients?”

One photographer took Appio’s advice and wrote that he’s passionate about sharing stories through images. He started getting more leads almost immediately.

Let your real personality show.

“Pros don't have to put on a ‘business voice’ to come across as professional,” Appio told me. “They just need to be themselves and the right customers will contact them.”

I heard the same thing from Scotty Kennedy, owner of Sparkling or STILL, an events company here in San Francisco. (He’s the pro who pulled together the incredible wedding we featured in our recent documentary.)

Scotty told me, “Let people know who you are and where you came from. I always say when you write a profile, it should be like you’re speaking to somebody. You don’t want it to be sterile or like it’s copy-pasted from a cover letter. It needs to have personality.”

Use keywords that make your profile easy to search and skim.

Scotty’s rewriting his profile to make it even easier for his clients to know he’s the event pro they’re looking for.

“What are the things people need done? For me, maybe they need help finding a venue, maybe they just need an extra set of hands or maybe they need consultation to find the right DJ. Whatever it is, I’m going to ask myself the question and give the answer in my profile intro.”

Scotty’s new approach was inspired by a recent experience where a client asked for help finding the right venue for her birthday — a rooftop space that could host a live band.

“I went looking for venues using keywords like “rooftop.” That’s the experience I want my clients to have. Think about it like you would on Google. Make your introduction searchable.”

Picture your customer.

Speak to what your ideal customer is looking for. If you’re not sure who that is, think about your best clients or the ones who’ve been with you the longest. Imagine you’re writing your profile for them.

Here are some ideas:

• Maybe you’re a handyman. You’ve noticed your best clients are folks who’ve just moved into their home and need help with a few things. That might help you realize it’s more useful to mention that you can hang art and mount TVs (rather than start with your repair and painting skills).
  • Maybe you’re a personal trainer. You’ve noticed your most committed clients are getting back into a gym routine after a long absence. That might lead you to specifically mention that you help people ramp back up with safe, effective techniques.

Give customers something to ask about.

You don’t have to spell it all out. As long as you’ve communicated your background, why you do what you do and what your specialties are, you can leave “a little mystery” as Scotty puts it.

“I like to say, ‘I’m the person who does everything you don’t want to do,’” Scotty says. “It immediately puts people at ease. But it also leads to another question: ‘What exactly is that?’”

That’s where a lot of his best customer conversations start.

Get a refresher on profile basics here, and let us know what works for you in the comments.

0 Likes