Highlighted

Re: Lead Phone Numbers

Active Community Member
Best Answer

What we have done because we are not getting a phone number or an email address after being charged outragous  fees is

Turn off promote.

Remove our credit card from the system

And only consider leads where customer will show their contact information after you accept the lead

If every Pro done this then Thumbtack would have to change their policy as their revenue would decline significantly

Highlighted

Re: Lead Phone Numbers

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Here’s the thing. If I have spent my time submitting a quote to a client for a job, I should at least get a phone number since I am being charged for a lead. As a business owner, that’s very fair.
I run and own a staging,interior design, and home organizing business. Just like the rest of the pros, I have had my share of tire kickers and radio silence even though I was the top pick. (promoted)
Here’s another thing I have been listed as the stager and the pricing that they’re showing in comparison to other strangers is not even a price that is grounded in reality i.e. very low .
It is impossible for me to know without seeing a property how much I can quote for a home staging project.
At this point I have had to resort to the explanation that this is merely an estimate and without additional information on particulars special request additional furniture, etc. I would have to come up with a more accurate price only after seeing the property in some fashion.
I have even done market research and for our area your estimates through Thumbtack are extremely low and again not grounded in reality .
Has anyone else come across that or is it just me being oversensitive with regard to my business ?

Highlighted

Ideas to Improve the TT experience

Community Veteran
Best Answer

Hello Thumbtack, 

As I review these boards I see a huge number of "pros" who are dissatisfied with the relatively recent changes to the TT pricing methodology. These are mainly centered on a pro getting a "lead" and not being able to move forward actually converting because the lead becomes instantly unresponsive - all while charging the pro. To date TT seems unwilling to acknowledge that this is truly a happening, but we all know that it is.

In many cases, I have the feeling that the lead actually never returns to TT to see if the pros they showed interest in actually responded as there are plenty of other places to seek out pros as well - such as google search, angie's list, etc...

So- I ask all to ponder this idea. Keep your pricing as it is, but if a "lead" wishes to hit the "when are you available" canned request  button or something like that, they have to provide an email address and phone number. This way the pro can chase the lead in a more traditional manner and have a much better chance of connecting as I am sure many of the TT users are one-and-done users and never actually go back to the site as they have already found a pro in an alternate site. This will be of no loss to TT as they already have their payment. 

In the alternative, go back to the way things were several months ago and bring back the service we originally signed up for.

Highlighted

I just paid $23 for a lead but don't get a phone number to call? Thats not good.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

As I said....I just paid $23 for a lead but there is no phone number to actually call the customer.  

I will not be paying $23/lead if I cannot get the customer's full name AND contact info. 

I cannot telll you the countless times I paid $2.33 to contact a customer in the past and NEVER got a response, no matter how many different templates I tried, so I CANNOT rely on a thumbtack customer to actually call me. 

What is the problem here? 

Highlighted

Enhancement Request - Provide Lead Contact Information

Community Veteran
Best Answer

As far as I can tell, all of TT's revenue in the lead transaction comes from the one time action of a lead selecting a pro and asking "when are you available?" or "what is your price?" or something like that. After that, the revenue opportunity on that lead-pro pair is done. Regardless of how many times a lead and pro go back and forth messaging each other, no additional revenue is made by TT.

Therefore, if TT believes that the current system is where things need to stay, I see no revenue reduction if TT would display the lead's email address and contact phone number in the first message from customer to pro. At that point, TT has received their one and only revenue opportunity on this transaction, and now the pro is free to contact the lead in perhaps a more efficient and productive channel - by phone or email to the lead.  This significantly raises the potential value of the lead to the pro, and provides zero revenue reduction or risk to TT.

In addition, TT can grow their reputation in the community as leads care where they found the pro.. they dont care how the conversation from invite to hire was done.. be it email, phone, text, etc... as long as it is convenient and seamless for the lead, they will be happy.  In fact, I believe many leads will say that once the initial introduction is made, they would rather converse off platform and on something more personal to them such as email, text or phone. TT gets really good screen placement on Google... leads will go to TT to seek out Pro candidates.. 

Now, TT will likely have to change some of the messaging to the lead that once they send their initial query, they may receive a call or email from the pro. The more pros they "invite", the more calls they will get... but that is exactly how things should work - when a lead sends an invitation to a pro, they should expect the pro to contact them. This is good, and I have the feeling that the leads who are frustrated by the calls will be either a) the minority, or b) the type of person that will be frustrated because the wind changed direction - in short, you cant please 'em all... but if you please the majority you will be on a good path.

Actually, sometimes I wonder if leads are actually not checking back to the system because they are waiting for the pro to call or email them back. Because that is how the other systems work, and how most other introduction systems work such as insurance sites where you seek doctors for example, (you send out a request for service and the doctor's office calls you back)  - so, I wonder if on TT, leads are actually left with the wrong impression of what's next after they send their initial request?? Also, although TT does send an email, I have found that many people only check email now and then.. sometimes less than once a week... so just sending them an email (not from us) gives pros a great disadvantage to their chances of winning the deal.

This is the way all of my other lead generation sources do it, and I have a MUCH higher conversion rate there. In addition, my rate of actual contact with a lead is very high from those sites. My ability to sell myself is many times greater if I can talk to the lead rather than simply message them initially. Here we are dealing with people who are basically asking a stranger to do work for us and take their money.. the more personal we can be, the faster we can win over the lead and win the business!

Comments? Thoughts?

Highlighted

when are we going to get phone numbers?

Community Regular
Best Answer

when are we going to get their phone number???? I am also on Eventective where you also get the client's email address. There is nothing on these leads, its like from Disney's 1980's movie "The Black Hole"

On Eventective pros also get ghosting. However I got ghosted last week by a lead and used TEXT to get a hold of 2 ghosters. One said she was still looking for a venue and will keep me in mind (cool) and the other never looked at any of the  proposals  but decided to go with me since I reminded him that he needed to hire someone soon (yay!)

And that's why we as pros need at least the phone numbers!!!!!!!

Thank You

the discountdj.weebly.com

Highlighted

Re: when are we going to get phone numbers?

Community Expert
Best Answer

@thediscountdj 

Eventective, Bark and other platforms provide the Pros with customer contact information after Pros pay for the lead.

Yes, there's ghosting on all platforms, I get it. People are just searching, getting ideas. But if we pay for a lead, we need the contact info. I also had a number for a ghoster last week on a different platform. I sent a text, and the customer thought Pros forgot about her. If I didn't reach out to her, I wouldn't have booked to DJ her wedding this Summer.

Highlighted

Re: when are we going to get phone numbers?

Community Veteran
Best Answer

@DJStevie @thediscountdj You bring up a HUGE valid point. 

I have a very strong feeling that one of the reasons we see such large ghost lead volumes is because the lead actually  EXPECTS the pro to call/text or email them and are not aware that the only way to talk to the lead is through TT. This is a big disadvantange over the other lead services.

In the interim, there needs to be a popup after the lead posts his jop that says something like "CHECK BACK HERE FOR PRO RESPONSES AS THEY ARE UNABLE TO CONTACT YOU IN ANY OTHER MANNER."

You are so correct - in the other tools I use I am able to go after the lead in text, phone, email and have a very very high rate of at least talking to the individual to better understand the lead. At that point, the lead generator has done their job well and now its up to me to win the deal. That is the role of the lead generator - once thelead has posted a need, the lead generator must get all the info over to the pro - and the lead generator's role is complete.

Highlighted

Re: There are 3 kinds of leads on Thumbtack.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Question....Why doesn't a vendor receive a clients e-mail or phone # after you've paid for the lead?  Its not cost effective to pay for the lead and then not receive any information to follow up with client and be left hoping the client responds via Thumbtack which so far is very limited % of the time.

Highlighted

Re: There are 3 kinds of leads on Thumbtack.

Community Veteran
Best Answer

@TapSnap TT says its because that is what users (leads) have requested.

Opinions welcome of course, and I tend to think if I had email addresses (at a minimum) my conversion rate would be much higher.