Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let’s talk about how you rank in search results

Community Regular
Best Answer

Currently my main complaint with Thumbtack as a pro guitar instructor is the inflexibility in price quoting.  I offer a range of pricing, depending on whether a student chooses to take 30 minute/45 minute/ or 60 minute lessons. I also offer a discount if a student pays by the 3 month semester compared to paying by the month. When I quote with Thumbtack I am required to put a fixed price as if I'm quoting a 'drywall job' or a one-time service like 'building a deck', etc.. Music lessons are an ongoing service, not a one time job, yet Thumbtack requires me to post a fixed price as if it is a one-time job! I hate that!  I used to be able to put N/A in the fixed price area as I do list my pricing range within the body of my quote...but no more! I am now required to list a fixed price! My question is which price to list? I charge by the month for lessons, not 'by the lesson'. Should I list my monthly price or should I list the price for on lesson? Also, should I list my fixed price as one 30 minute lesson, or 45 min or hour lesson? What if I list my hourly price and another teacher lists his/hers 30 minute price? Wouldn't most customers merely bypass my quote for what looks like the cheaper quote?  This is a real problem, yet Thumbtack has been very unflexible in the way I can list my price. I hate this. Personal service for pros on Thumbtack is becoming less and less. It seems that Thumbtack is going for being less personal and more automated. When I get a response, often I feel it's from someone just hired cheaply to answer the phones...someone who doesn't really know or relate to my inquiries.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Hi yes I agree with a lot of the top pros I went from receiving tons of interest and sent quotes to last week having my profile viewed 187 times with not one new customer even reaching out ...I think this new ranking system isn’t working and I’m not receiving any business ..I’ve been a top pro for 3 years straight and I’ve gotten a ton of leads and business but not being able to see the leads and or respond and being stuck in some sort of ranking hierarchy is a bad business model ...
Highlighted
Best Answer

What's the rank of the items that feed your algorithm for Ranking in Searches?

Community Regular
Best Answer

So break it down as simply as you can. What are the 5-6 most important things that get you ranked highly and which ones are most heavily weighted?

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
I have had trouble getting responses back from customers who request my services and I am located in Akron, oh but continue to get location outside my range as far as Pa no matter how many times I put Akron as my location. Long story short this pass year thumbtack has came to a slow crawl and now zero since new system was put into place its just not user friendly anymore. I have recommended to other business owner but its too confusing now. Thumbtack was a good filler but that's no more. I wish it where the same as when I started.
Cunningham
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Well this forum isn't so useful - I went to comment on someone's comment and now I can't see that comment.  I'm in agreement with a lot of others - leads have dwindled.  Last year I had several commissions - art commissions - now this category has been removed.  Also I'm told I can't adjust my area for murals and lessons.  So hardly any relevant leads come through. How can you get ranked when you can't get any leads in the first place, and can't represent your catchment area for local work appropriately. 

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I get nothing from the new system & have spent more money for 0$ return. The system two iterations back worked best for me, as well as the original pay-as-you-go system. Thumbtack’s no longer a revenue stream for me, and I am extremely disappointed. If you could explain key ways to improve my profile and listing to improve search results (and actually explain how the heck it works !) I would appreciate it.
Elizabeth McLindon (mcdogdog)

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I agree with Photo-Frank. I have had potential customers contact me and showed inerest, even phone calls and design samples in which they were also interested in and then nothing. Now I receive less requests and more people dropping off after contact. I'm not sure it is worth the cost of the tt service any more.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Hi, I looked up my profession, massage therapy, on my friends computer and I don’t even show in the search results. Also looks like I would be high on the ranking list if you guys go by reviews. Is there anyway to get me on that list? Thumbtack has also been really hard to work with over the last couple weeks not answering my questions. Unfortunately I haven’t been too happy with working with thumbtack recently.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
I'm a Top Pro with 31 positive reviews and have received 0 leads since this new program rolled out.
I used to get avg 5 leads per week and was able to choose who I quoted.
Now I have received zero work from Thumbtack.
Your new ranking program is horrible!!!
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I started using thumbtack in January and I was receiving a lot of interest in a lot of job opportunities. After about three months into using the app I started noticing some major flaws..

I am paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for people to ask me when is my next availability. When I replied back to them I would get no response. I figured that would happen a couple times— not nine out of 10 potential clients.

With the ranking system I thought it was gonna be a bit more beneficial for the business. However, I haven’t seen one quote or one customer reply to me in the last two months. Is this because my ranking isn’t high enough or is it because thumbtack isn’t letting people see my quotes?

I feel like this app is turned into a place for people to fish for a price and not follow through with the services that the professionals deliver.
0 Likes