Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let’s talk about appearing in search results

Active Community Member
Best Answer

The "tire kickers" are the worse. They would respond to all the pros but not hire any and you still get charged $50. 

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer

I was just told that we get charged for generic replies to us, because customer is interested. New system stinks! We don't even have a chance to review the customer lead, price, distance,etc.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Someone responed to me with "hmmm" and I was charged $50.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

Let's not forget about your competitors that are searching for your fee! Or, the 'stay-at-homes' that are bored and know how this "pay-to-play" game works, and think it's 'fun' to cost us money!

Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I have the same concern! I have already had enough people wasting my time (and money!!!) on here with their frivolous questions. Still haven't made a dime from being on here, either. I think it would be better if we didn't have to pay unless we respond to their questions.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

RCPS is exactly right "I like being able to view a customer’s request and determine for myself as to whether I want to reply to their need or not (hence why I don’t use Instant Match)."

The reason that I used to love using Thumbtack is because it was a "pull" system.  It was until now.  A pull system means that we view the job details first... we determine if it is a good fit, we determine if it will fit into our schedule, we determine if the customer has even provided enough detail to be able to quote.  A lot of customers don't know what they want, they don't know what it's going to cost, and they don't know how to provide enough specific details or pictures for me to be willing to pay $ to get in contact with them.

A "push" system is what Thumbtack search results is creating.  I don't want leads pushed on me.  If I did, I'd be using Home Advisor, which I hate.  Home Advisor pushes bad leads on me.  They are a waste of time and money.  That's why I discontinued using Home Advisor.  I just had a Thumbtack lead pushed on me today... and it said that they had also contacted 5 other providers.  So, they are just clicking all of them, unaware that I'm charged money just to get in contact with them.  We provide a premium service.  We are licensed and bonded.  There are many on customers on Thumbtack that want the cheapest price, and they want us to show up tomorrow.  Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  I'm often booked out 2 weeks.  And, I have employees, which means that I have overhead.  And, overhead means that I'm not the cheapest on Thumbtack.  So, no thank you to a push system.  I'd rather opt out of Thumbtack search results, if possible.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I'm not very keen on this idea at all. I want to be able to pick and choose my clients. Also, I found that, many potential clients aren't serious

Therefore no this will not work for me. also, that the custom design was taken off and can do over internet.

I can't travel to many of the locations.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

That's a good point about pricing. I do custom work that can't be put into a price category. Much of the time, I need to see the piece of furniture or dress or photos in person before I can quote a price on a job. It would be unfair to be at the bottom of the Pro candidate list just because I want to give customers a fair price for my services. I don't like overcharging to cover potential complications on jobs that are not described accurately.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Yes exactly. Some of the unscrupulous contractors in my field will give a low ball quote. Then when the person looking for service calls them they try to change it. Not the way I do business.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
This is obviously just a money maker and you guys are now setting up like Home Advisor where you pay money when customers contact you whether you want the job or not. I want to decide on my own whether I want to give a estimate on a job. I may be 3 months out on work and not even want to take a job. I will cancel Thumbtack if you guys make this change. I started with you guys because the flexibility your company added such as being able to pass on requests for the many reasons you may want and/or need to.