Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let’s talk about search results

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

All sounds reasonable but the devil's in the details. One detail is distance. I am getting charged for inquiries from prospects living over 30 miles away who really aren't good candidates.  These clients are being pushed through to  me because they are allegedly 25 miles or less away and are willing to travel that far. But I was told that the distance measure is "as the crow flies." My clients aren't crows or any bird for that matter, but humans who must take traffic routes which are far longer than what any bird flies. Is it possible to use google maps or some industry standard to measure distance so I don't get spurious prospects?

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

Let's talk about how to turn off promote as this is going to be more expensive for me then it is worth and I no longer have control over the clients I actually want to assist.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer

@Xian I just checked and none of the Services you offer are currently on Promote. I'll also mention that if Promote is on, contacts will be immediate and at a 20% discount for being more available to the customer. 

You can learn more about Promote and when you'll pay HERE.

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Thumbtack,
We have been over many ideas and yet here we go again with an idea that does not benefit many of us pros who cant have a fixed cost quote. Do you charge the same price for every lead? Because that is how many of us feel. A 20% discount on a lead that we dont even know what the original price is absurd. You could show us any price you want and then reduce it by 20% and still get paid what you really wanted. It's time to change your system to a 1-5% fee based on the agreed upon price between pro and client that is charged to the customer. It will be a non refundable fee. Your success should be based on pros success not on how many pros you can charge a fee. Customers being able to "choose" as many pros and contacting them is unfair and not professional when it comes to charging them all. I and many other pros would have no issue paying you $50 on a $1,000 job (5%). Your competitors have a similar model that allows me to do these things. I have a hard time justifying paying 15-30 for a lead that might only earn me $100-$150. So let's talk about thumbtack and pros succeeding together.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Does the new formate do away with instant match....if so why?   Ranking should be based on Education, Experience and Client testimonies as well as how informative the Profile is.  For example...I have Two Masters Degrees, 30 years of experience and over 50 testimonies posted in my media section.  Very few if any other pros on Thumbtack remotely compare to these areas of qualification.  My pricing is very affordable and for the area I market too.   I offer services in the Professional Coaching niches of Personal Training, Nutrition, Health and Wellness, Life Coaching, Longevity Coaching and Self Defense Tactics.  I assume under the new formate that if a client contacts me....I can respond after they look at my profile.  Now here is the problem with this.   A client looks at a Profile without being able to recieve a message appropriate to what there needs are. they are.  This is a BIG PROBLEM.  You are getting the Cart before the horse.  The most improtant thing a Pro needs to do is address the specfic issues the customer stated as their need.  Flipping through Profiles without seeing specific information related to customer needs will result in poor communication between Pro and Customer at a critical time when the Pro needs to address the specific needs of the customer.  Get the Picture????

Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I switched from Homeadvisor and other pay by call services precisely because I wanted to control my costs and decide on which customers were best for my business. Your new method is exactly why I left those other servers. If Thumbtack proceeds down this road without leaving the existing system in place as an alternative for myself and others I will regretfully have to terminate this arrangement.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: pricing

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Last fall I had 4 wedding photography jobs at about $1,500 each. This year I have zero wedding photography jobs in the fall from Thumbtack due to how Thumbtack changed how customers can seek quotes.

Customers can now ask for quotes that are laughably low. You can't go into a car dealship to look at new cars and seek quotes that are less than say..$3k. Red flags should pop up from Thumbtack telling them the price they are willing to pay for the service is not in the acceptable range. This is why I don't have any work from Thumbtack now.

PLEASE fix this so I can once again have some reasonably priced work from Thumbtack!

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Instead of charging service providers, have you ever thought to only charge the provider for jobs completed? I don’t know how this would work, but don’t you think more providers would use instant match and your services entirely if they knew that they would only be paying for jobs that actually fall through?
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I use Thumbtack on a part time bases.  It is not my full time gig.  I am not a fan of the change, although I am an advocate for change.  1) I'm now getting emails about "opportunities" that are hundreds of miles out side my designated area.  2) I am selective in my clients.  I will do solo, headshot and pet photography.  with the changes anyone can contact me.  3)  Pricing:  For architechtural photograhy, I used to base my pricing on number of shots and estimated hours.  The new method is square footage.  That is useless to me, especially if someone what a product photographed.  My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

For photo and video use it's particuarly difficult to quote because there is no screening of how the client wants to use the asset. Technically, we have to quote a number not knowing if it's going to be used for a social media post, or in a full page national ad. That pricing is very, very different. It makes me nervous whenever I send a quote out. CREATIVE IS RARELY FLAT RATE. Read that again if you missed it the first time. The new search seems to ignore this entirely.

More specific intended use of the assets would be a great thing to add in the screening process. 

And, while on the subject -- who came up with the screening questions? For video they are rediculous. TT asks if the client wants "Sound effects" but doesn't screen for weather or not they want custom graphics? (Even then motion tracking, overlays and text are all very different, and in some cases very expensive add ons.) Nobody asks for "sound effects" when bidding a job (in a general sense). Also, in video there is a huge price difference between shooting a job (and handing over footage), and shooting and editing a final deliverable. Your quotes offer zero differentiation. With the inability to discuss options with the possible clients prior to getting charged, we don't know what we're quoting! 

Get some actual professionals involved (like an advisory panel) in the process because it's clear that a lot of how TT screens clients was developed around a desk by a bunch of people with no experience in the field.