Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let’s talk about search results

Community Regular
Best Answer

Having no control over who contacts me is not good for my business. I prefer to choose the leads that I quote. Our pricing is very specific and dependent on many factors.

I think that Thumbtack attempts to make changes that are benificial for pros in a group of niches that don't work for services like ours. When I started working with Thumbtack I was getting a good deal of consistent work  without spending a lot of money on leads. As Thumbtack evolves away from the needs of pros who offer creative services (Videography, Photography ect.) I have gotten less and less work and spent more than with the previous format.

I am hesitant sending quotes and receiving preset replies created by Thumbtack like "OK where can I find samples" Well I sent a link to our samples with the original quote. I don't get the job and Thumbtack charges between $27 and $45 as opposed to $6.68 for the same lead in the old format.

Now comes the search engine where a customer may be sending responses to 5 orpossibly more pros (depending on Thumbtack limits) interested in seeing if each is a fit for them not to speak of also going to Gigmasters, Gigsalad, Freelance.com and Bark simultaneously. This only benifits Thumbtack in that they get more fees from more pros and Pros odds of being hired are diminished greatly.

With our service, price is considered first by our leads. Samples are next and reviews rarely or not as importantly considered.

I don't want to be on a search engine where I have no control and where my advertising budget is determined by Thumbtack.

I would prefer a format where we are sent leads and we decide whether to quote or not. I would rather pay Thumbtack a commision for each hire than to spend $75 in a week's time with nothing to show for the investment. Thank you for reading.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

The entire revamped Thumbtack is more confusing than the IRS code book.

PLEASE START OVER....PLEASE

Before someone else DOES,

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I NEED to be able to see if a customer's job is right for me.  I cannot continue to throw $30 out the window for a lead that is not going to respond back to me or for a lead that might not even be geniune or a scam...like I've had many times before.  

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I think other people have mentioned the pricing issue. As a tutor, I can work different ways. I can do lessons remotely, meet students at public locations I regularly use, or meet them in their homes, offices, etc. There is different pricing for these options. I feel I have to use my lowest price (online) for the new match system, but I don't want students to be angry when they find the price is higher for an "in person" lesson. 

There is also a potential match problem I can foresee. I've already alerted Thumbtack to this issue, but I still see it in the search results: When native English speakers want to take lessons in foreign languages that aren't catagorized on Thumbtack -- Polish, Dutch, Swedish, for instance, the system calls this: ESL and they wind up in my ESL results. They aren't going to get seen by teachers who might speak these languages! If I respond accidentally because I failed to notice that the native language is English, then I will get charged. With instance match, if the student is confused because my name comes up as say a Danish teacher, and I want to explain to the student that I don't teach Danish, I will get charged.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I think being listed in the search results is great.  But like I've always said, I don't think that Pros should be charged for a "potential" customer.  We should be charged only when we have been hired by the customer.  A customer contacting the Pro doesn't always result in a hire.  Also, it would be nice if the customer posted a photo of themselves, so that we know who we are communicating with.  It would be helpful.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I'm going to update my profile to include - I work time plus materials at my cost. I will need to see all projects before giving time (hence cost) estimate.  -     

There are always many variables and many ways to approach a project - it gives the client options but affects final scope of work. How are you going to charge me. First contact does not always equal a good fit. A larger project could turn to a smaller project. The original format allowed me to talk to many people and find those that truely fit w/o extraordinary costs but with extra costs I was willing to pay. This has turned from a good resource to confusing. Thank you Nancy

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

It's too bad that you changed how the pro's contact the customers because I've been getting ripped off by the change due to customers contacting me with the wrong phone number or never answering when we call then getting charged up to $30.00 for a simple email.  The charge should only be if you get to work like before, so because of change.

If it changes back to it's old ways, I will begin using it again but until then, I'm not spending Company money on an email request.  I'm sure you'll lose a lot more Pro's.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

This site didn't like my response so it was edited for the Pro's because I disaproved of how they're taking our Money.  If they read 90% of the Pro's feedback none of it is positive!  So why ask for our input if they want us to lie about our experience?  Why don't they keep it positive and go back to how they use to do things instead of taking the Pro's money at whatever rate they want and we can't even reach the potential customer!!!!  This use to be an A+ site but now  it's rating is an F.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

@regina3255

I just received an email that they edited one of my posts as well, for an opinion I professed.

They advised I 'keep it constructive'...ok, here's constructive...Dump the 'Promote' feature and go back to the old pricing structure.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Yes!  That's exactly what they told me too,  but they started taking money from CC that I had no clue of the potential customer.  I pulled my card off the site after the last charge of $30.00 which is rediculous for someone to just ask a question.  That means they're taking money from every Pro a customer contacts - If they ask 3-5 of us a question, they're hitting us all up for cash.  JUST GREEDY!!!