Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let’s talk about search results

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Hello Tom, 

I agree with you. We are not talking about what thumbtack has done for us and how Important it is for us. The discussion is about offering a service which would not help anyone in the process. 

For example you are a teacher and offer personal class. I as customer want to book a aclass with you for Dec 1, 2 pm. You are not available. 

First the customer will have to wait for your response, which you are not even available. It is a complete waste of a customer. let's say you replay or not replay. the customer will have to repeat the process to search the pro all over again. On top of it you will have to pay the fee for the quote you can not do. Eventually customers see the process so complicated and time taking .... they would go on the best trusted platform google and type. Teacher near me and here they are all set. Thumbtack looses the customer for forever. 

I hope you get my point. Good luch with your business. 

Best,

Pari 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I have been a Thumbtack pro for many years, but I will be closing my account prior to your new system starts next month
I do not like the idea of being charged because a customer reaches out to me. Many times I am too busy to accept new work and many times the costumer wants me to do a service that I am not interested in doing either because of a misunderstanding between the customer and me or I simply don’t want to accept certain jobs within my area of experience. But primarily I am leaving because you don’t seem to care about how to improve thumbtack to help the pro.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I'm a golf pro outside of Boston. Thumbtack has been supper in sending me leads/clients. I'm slightly concerned that client contact for clarification of services/times might be charged. Could you explain the process to determine when contact is charged and when it's waived?

thx

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I offer bed bug extermination services, which is a subset of general pest control. Because I specialize in my industry rather than doing bed bug control as part of the larger pest control industry, I offer a different, specialized service than 90% of my competitors. My issue on Thumbtack is that my quotes appear as a mere price alongside competitors that offer a far less effective service. Comparing prices alone, my prices are higher so I rarely get contacted off Thumbtack.

I wish there was a way for Thumbtack to automatically send my developed quote template to matches for my service so they can see why my service is more expensive. After all, many people with bed bugs are willing to pay a slightly higher price to get rid of bed bugs in a day rather than using a cheaper service that can take up to two months, but if Thumbtack only sends a price to potential clients they will never know the difference!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I've noticed a change and not for the better. Far to many "handyman" requests that specify 2 hours work or like that. As far as my group goes, appliance repair, all the local jobs have disappeared in favor of heavy Seattle area where traffic is a nigthmare. Thus far, I prefer the older system where what the customer wants if VERY difinitve and not so speculative such as "handyman" services that are all over the board. I wish to bid on jobs where I can take traffic, EXACTLY what I am asked to do into consideration and so far, the vague, "baseboard" or "living room door installation" is far, far to vague. It takes to much into consideration like tools to take, ladders, and what material will I need. Even the older system of pay-for-bid was better. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Search results did improve in my market...halfway between Orlando and Daytona Beach Florida. We are a little more remote.

However, I spped using thumbtack when the structure chaged in pricing. I liked the old way and it was easier to handle my budget as a small operator

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Leads have become way overpriced

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I was just charged $30 for a mural painting lead - the customer did not want a mural she wanted an oar painted and she wanted it done that day. That is absurd that I do not get to chose who contacts me. There is a drop down box and the potential customer can send the same three word vague response to multiple "pros" thats means Thumbtack  made $120 off a BS lead that likely nobody except Thumbtack benefitted from.  I recently requested carpentry services for my home though Thumbtack to see how the new process worked - I was sent an email saying that a specific pro quoted my posted job and to click on the link to see it. There was no quote just a prompt to contact the pro - which means Thumbtack is pushing the customer to contact the pro so that the pro can get charged.  

Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Hi Chris, it appears from the posts and discussions, including my own today, that the overall majority of Pro's, posting and replying, are understandedly unhappy with the current and previous/recent changes TT has made. I see TT staff replies to the few (very few) positive responses but I am not seeing responses from TT to the numerous, very critical posts. Can you explain this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I have been using Thumbtack for the past 3 or so years.  Originally I will say that they helped build my business.  The leads were affordable and the chances of actually being in contact with a customer was high.  Since you have changed the way you send quotes I am very unhappy.  I have spent a lot of money this past month or two and have not even had one customer reach out to me.  It's like I am spending $65-$75 a lead and they are like ghosts.  No one responds.   I am using the same templates I was before and I was very happy with TT but I too am considering stopping the use of this lead referral company.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: charging your suppliers...

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Hey Thumbtack,

I am about to cancel my subscription to your service.  I have been contacted for work from several people and have not gotten the jobs but I have been charged by your company simply for someone to contact me, in one case as much as $75.  This is unacceptable.  Non-professionals are costing me lots of money just to be here.

You need to switch the way this service works.  People looking for services should be shouldering the payments, we as suppliers are the way you (Thumbtack) are making money.  To charge us when we don't get the job is bogus.

Rethink your model before you start losing the majority of the people providing the services...