Highlighted

Refund policy

Active Community Member
Best Answer
I try and try but im getting really impatient. It seems that when i try to stay to a budget Thumbtack seems to find nonesense leads to bill me those last few dollars.
3 leads in a row with 1 sentence replies and then no dialogue. One even cancelled their profile after my follow up request. Then Im told by the Refund department that Im not eligible because I made contact!
A customer sends "whats next", "whats your availability", "can we chat" ARE NOT CONVERSATIONS.
And thats just me! At an average of $20 per lead how many people are being taken for a ride. This isnt cool. I am not new on here. Between the new Targetting rules and now even stricter refund policies I think I have out grown Thumbtack. Really disappointed. Your competitors are learning from this and offering better referral program.
replies
Highlighted

Re: Refund policy

Active Community Member
Best Answer
I hear you. I absolutely understand your pain.
I've spent at least $1000 this month on "leads" that go nowhere and keep getting non-answers from Thumbtack.
I keep getting charged $99 for leads that don't lead anywhere.
It's an insult.
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
Hi there -- Yep, lots of other pros are facing the same issues.

"Then Im told by the Refund department that Im not eligible because I made contact!"
This one is absurd and I have been having this happen to me too. I am fighting these scenarios with Thumbtack because even though it's true, we made contact, I cant follow up anymore with the customer because they CANCELED THEIR ACCOUNT and we cant even message them!

It's borderline fraudulent and Thumbtack seems to be operating AGAINST their own terms of service.

I also find that the higher the job price, (usually in the $400 range), the less replies I get (but they read the message!) I cant help but think that thumbtack is generating these so they can get more money....
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I have been having the same thoughts.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
How does it work when you send an "opportunity" and pay for it and they never even read it?? Are we sure that when we pay for those "opportunities" that they actually get to the person? How can we confirm this? Otherwise we are paying and not getting any return?
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@O2TK you will not pay for an opportunity unless the customer responds to your quote. You can learn more about this here. Let me know if you have any other questions about this! 

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
These new rules being rolled out are utterly ridiculous and I'm pretty sure Thumbtack will lose a large number of service providers because of them. I am an event planner and I have been charged for "exact match" leads that I can't even take due to my non- availability on their event date. I have requested a refund but haven't heard anything yet. This is unacceptable and I for one will no longer use Thumbtack if these practices will be used. Ideally, leads need to be vetted BEFORE Thumbtack charges us!
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Angieslist had it right from the beginning! The customer (not the contractor) joins the site for a reasonable fee and searches to their heart's content.
That way of doing business eliminates the tire kickers and those who only want a job quote! I've been in business since 1994 and figured Thumbtack would help fill the void between larger jobs. In the beginning, their pricing structure was fair. Now, being charged for a lead before I even view it is ridiculous. I think my relationship with this organization has run its course and I'm about ready to jump ship too!

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
what other competitors are there
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
Good Question, I am looking as well. Paying for a lead that doesnt respond it B.S.
0 Likes