Highlighted

Refunds for suspicious activity or scammers

Community Regular
Best Answer

If the lead is from a scammer that is just trying to get you to take a payment for yourself and for another pro who is not able to take credit card payments (I know you all have heard of this money laundering scam that pros are hit with) is that something that would be refunded if you can see that conversation on thumbtack? Please do not reply with "I think it means" or "to my understanding"....

Please only respond if you have a rock solid black and white "this is the way it is" answer to my question.

*title edited by moderator on 2/12/2020 for clarity*

States
0 Likes
replies
Highlighted

Re: Scammers

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@afacetopaint yes, this is definitely something that would be refunded. You can follow these steps here to report it, or you can contact us and we'll get you taken care of! 

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

Thank you. 

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

This happened in Northern ca yesterday and they tried again today.  Want to pay me 10 times the daily rate and send the "agent " the balance to hold until work is done, by cashing a large check made out to me and send the agent the balance.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@cs3756 did this customer reach out to you through Thumbtack? If so, can you send me a private message with their name and more info regarding the situation? 

0 Likes

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
No they Tex said that is how they got my number
0 Likes
Highlighted

Quickbooks Hackers

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I recieved a text message from 17242427741 ( they said they found me on TT) and asked me how much i charged to upgrade 18 HP computers, they said they were in the east coast, im in CA. They wanted me to send them a quickbooks invoice to them and add 3200 so that i can pay the delivery guy that was going to deliver the computers from the east coast to CA just so i can reinstall windows, they kept pressing me to send a quickbooks invoice, I told them my brother is a truck driver and he was on the east coast and he can pick them up, they told me that the delivery guy already had them they wanted me to send a Quickbooks invoice for like 6800, They couldnt use Square nor Paypal they said nor any other type of transfer only Quickbooks, Im guessing some kind of hackers

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Quickbooks Hackers

Best Answer

@JohnJ I'm really sorry to hear about this. I've conducted a search through our database for that phone number you've listed and it yielded no results. So they are likely not someone who found you through Thumbtack. I do agree that this interaction does seem odd and recommend that you break communication with this person immediately. 

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Scammers Using TT to Contact Pros

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I was contacted by an individual (Alabama) who told me he found me on Thumbtack and wanted a website. I was a big project (over 40 pages), with a framework of eight main pages. He asked that I make the website look like a mockup he sent, and that he needed it right away. I worked for two days on the main pages with the look that he wanted and prepared a proposal and sent it to him with the website build.

He was very excited and said to send the invoice for $5,000 right away, that he would pay the $2500 deposit immediately. While I was creating an invoice to send I got a text email with a request for a website. I replied with my email to send the details to.

I received the same email as I did for the aforementioned site requesting the same exact website to be built as well as the same mockup example from a California area code. 

I have sent a payment request from the first individual (Alabama) based on my conversion with Thumbtack and customer supports recommendations. TT also said they would contact the individual about payment.

I contacted the first individual, and he texted me and indicated he was ready to proceed. He asked if I could get it to him in 4 weeks. I sent the website primary build, and he indicated that it "looks good."

So, I'm moving forward cautiously, as this feels like a scam, although I'm not sure what the scammer could get out of it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and can provide any insights. 

Thank you,

James

Highlighted

Re: Scammers Using TT to Contact Pros

Community Veteran
Best Answer

@Jamesenator  Definitely give that check enough time to clear I would not be surprised if he responds back in the nex day saying he wants to cancel and wants his money back... If the check is a fraud, you get nothing and if you send him a full refund you are out $2500.

Its a very common trick.  Definately wait for 7 days for that check to fully clear