Highlighted

Removal of Screening Questions (with DJ example)

Community Veteran
Best Answer

Just saw that many screening questions were removed. As I read them, many seem to be critcal questions to be asked to filter to the right pros.

I will pick on DJs:

The questions removed are:

1. Do you provide sound equipment?
2. Do you work at indoor and/or outdoor venues?
3. Which levels of service do you support?

I don't know what the 3rd question means, but aren't the first 2 questions really important? Why were they removed??

replies
Highlighted

Re: Removal of Screening Questions (with DJ example)

Community Veteran
Best Answer

Wow,,, and just looked at

Criminal Defense Attorney

Question removed:

Which types of criminal charges can you work with?

There are so many different types of cases and not all lawyers work all kinds... there is no way this should not be part of the selection criteria.

All I can say is without these questions, the value of the lead is likely to take another pretty serious dip.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@MR for this category, we still ask the question What kind of criminal charges need to be addressed? Customers are prompted to answer that question once they enter the request flow. Let me know if you have any questions! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@MR 

Thanks for posting this!! Honestly, I was about to post it myself!

So the notice we received, is the AWESOME APRIL PRODUCT CHANGES that @JasonB said was coming?

Awesome for my category, how????

Yes, those 2 questions are very important!!! I know that I didn't ask for them to be removed, so please nobody at TT tell me that it was taken away because of feedback by Pros like myself. I have to know whether a ceremony and/or reception will take place outside.  I need to know those things so I know how to charge, not be surprised after customer sees quote via Promote, then that quote they expect to be written in stone.

Providing sound equipment is very important question as well. I have different sound equipment for outside, inside, beach, etc. So removing this question/filter is wrong. 

WHY WOULD THUMBTACK REMOVE THESE 2 VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS?? Am I missing something? Really, am I missing something? Not every DJ can provide outdoor services, so they are in essence believing that every DJ provides outdoor services. As a result, when customer click on several DJ profiles, we get charged, and when customer finds out that a certain DJ doesn't provide these services, they click on someone else's profile and that DJ gets charged. Who is really making money here?

As for levels of support that is being taken away, I guess what levels(gigs) I can perform at? I don't remember seeing that question in my preferences, but I can be missing something.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@DJStevie sorry for any confusion, but those questions weren't removed. See my response about this to MR here and let me know if you have any questions! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

@Meckell If those questions werent removed you may want to update your help page where it says different:

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 8.54.20 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@MR sorry for any confusion. Yes, we are making some changes but as listed in the article, it won't be until April 29th. As of right now, those questions are still in there.

I'm happy to give more context behind this update though. As customers search for pros on Thumbtack, we ask them a few questions to learn about their job. But we noticed some of these questions got in the way of customers reaching out to you.

For example, if you’re a roofer, you may want to know how steep a customer’s roof is. While that information may be valuable to have, many customers weren’t sure how to answer, got stuck, and didn’t move forward with their job request on Thumbtack. And that means pros like you missed out on a new lead. We also found that some of the questions were repetitive — that caused confusion with customers, too.

In these cases, removing the questions help the customer move forward so their request can turn into a lead for you. If you find any of the questions particularly useful, try adding it to your profile so customers can see it’s important to you, or asking the customer directly once you’ve started a conversation.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@Meckell 

Sorry if  it sounds like we may be getting upset with you, but please understand where I'm coming from. Those questions are very important, and how did they get in the way of customers reaching out to me and other DJ Pros, other Pros, etc? Those at Thumbtack that aren't in the business do NOT understand where I'm coming from!!!

I provide different sound equipment for different events as stated before. So, if a customer sees a quote via Promote for a certain price, then I have to either provide services for that quote, or bypass the customer after talking with him/her. How does that make me and other Pros look?

Who decided on these changes, it wasn't me and a few Pros that I have spoken with this morning.

Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

@Meckell @DJStevie If you knew that the questions were being deleted on April 29, why did you answer "These two questions; Do you provide sound equipment? and Do you work at indoor and/or outdoor venues? are indeed still in the request flow when a customer is looking for a DJ. I'm sorry if you were misinformed about this, but those questions are still there. "

Although, your answer was literally correct as April 24 comes before April 29, this really lowers our trust as a customer. 

My fear is that you were as surprised as we are in that your escallation teams did not inform you of this change and only once we raised it did you learn of it. I get it - I managed first level customer support for a very large company. We really want to help you here - the answer "I don't know, but I will find out" is always acceptable.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@MR I was fully aware of these changes happening. However, what I was meaning to get across is that those questions are still there right now as this update hasn't launched yet. If you have any other questions about this update, please let me know. I'm more than happy to have a conversation with you about it. 

0 Likes