Highlighted

Respond within an hour = way more likely to hear back.

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
Best Answer

Outlands_Responding (1).jpg

We looked at national data across all the services on Thumbtack and one thing is clear: Pros who reply to new leads in their inbox within 60 minutes are a lot more likely to get a response. Replying within 5 minutes is even better. But the longer you wait, the less likely you are to hear back.

And it makes sense, right? Customers came to Thumbtack looking for something done ASAP, they find you, get excited, reach out. And if they feel like you’re right there, eager to get started, they’re a lot more likely to choose you.

Other than making sure you’re getting notifications about new leads (emails and push notifications on your phone), there are a couple simple things you can do to make sure you’re moving as fast as possible:

Make some saved replies

If you often say the same thing to customers, you can now save those responses in the Thumbtack app and send them instantly.Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 3.26.37 PM.png

Tap and hold any reply to save it for later and sort through all your saved replies by hitting this little icon in a chat.

Focus on your inbox

There’s a lot going on in the Thumbtack app. And we’ve noticed pros spending a lot of time in the Jobs tab. That’s where you can contact customers in case the first pro they picked falls through.

But the jobs in the Jobs tab are a bit of a long shot. The customers in your inbox have picked you specifically and are waiting for you right now. So make sure that’s where you spend your time — catch any new leads as they come in and get back to customers quickly if you’re in the middle of a conversation.

If you don’t want the lead, decline it. Fast.

That way we can tell the customer you’re not available and you can move on to the next lead. There’s no penalty for declining. It’s actually really helpful — for you and for us. If you decline a lot of similar leads, we’ll show you lower in search results for those kinds of jobs. And if you do it quickly, we’ll consider you a responsive pro and give you a rank boost in search results.

What works for you when you respond to customers? Tell us in the comments below.

replies
Highlighted

Re: Respond within an hour = way more likely to hear back.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Hi , but I noticed that even though I declined a request because I wasn’t going to be in the the days she needed the service. I still got charge. Why is that? 

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@uonlinetv I'm happy to give you more clarification on this. Go ahead and send me a private message with the name of the customer and any other info you think would be helpful for us. 

Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Do the customers see our location when they are asking for when we are available?  I get a lot of them declining after I responded b/c I am not close enough to them.  

Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@dinal 

I understand that as well as many other Pros, but because as I've said in other threads and hope this isn't deleted for repitition, we need a time frame(4-24hr) to reply to a customer. Some of us work, have family issues, doctor visits, etc so we can't reply in the hour time frame that you suggest. Suggestions please?

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@EvaG yes, they see your city and state. If after reaching out to you a customer states that you're too far, be sure to request a refund by following these steps here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/refunds#how-to-dispute-a-charge.

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Thank you so much for that information...about requesting a refund.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

Hi 

This is Cyrus

With nobNo custom homes

I didn't do anything

Ur company charge me

$60._60$ .$59

I did call Mr sath

He said he will return

Nothing happened

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

This is why so many of us are just incredibly angry.

Would you like it if your surgeon or dentist stopped to take a call on their cellphone in the middle of a procedure that you were paying for?

If you paid hard earned money to see one of those Broadway shows like CATS or HAMILTON, and one of the actors on stage, stopped mid-scene to take a cell phone call, would you like that?

AND, we know everyone hates those people at movie theaters who don’t turn off their cell phones.

Would you like it if your favorite NFL quarterback, during a close game, called a time-out, so he could talk to his agent on a cellphone?

If you went to see a concert performance by Nicki Minaj or Taylor Swift, and they stopped the show to talk on their cellphone, would you like that?

A common problem in the trades: We hire helpers in their early twenties, and they won’t get off the phone and do their job.  A year ago, I fired my 23 year old helper, in part, because of that. We were finishing the job. All of a sudden I feel cold air blowing through the house. The front door is wide open, and my helper; instead of loading cases into the van, is standing there, in the middle of the driveway looking at his phone.

I just finished a JPSY job, as I was packing up. My customer complained that he received a whole bunch of emails from Pro’s he had no interest in. Happy to give you his name in private if you do not believe me.

I want 24 hours to respond to JSPY leads, before TT sends it to other Pro’s.

TT could do a little work to educate the job-posters that some Pro’s are very busy, and focused on their work, therefore an immediate response may not happen, and that if I do not respond in 24 hours, or pass on the job…then TT will forward the lead to other Pro’s for the option of bidding.

The current system is making me angry, it is making job-posters angry, and it is angering many in the pro-community.

TT wants to make money. Fine, we get that. It needs to feel like a partnership, and NOT like TT is trying to bleed us dry.

Because of my profile, I have passed on a lot of JPSY leads. My profile stands out, and I get selected for things I do not do, or things that I do-- but can’t work with the JP’s job time-window.

It is NOT my fault that many Job-Posters do NOT look at the essay in my profile.

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I feel more comfortable clicking Pass in Jobs section than clicking Decline in Inbox. Pass feels like I am just not taking the job. But Decline feels like "I'm too good for you", and I don't mean to hurt anyone's feeling.

Many times I'm not Declining an inbox inqury does not mean the job does not fit me. It's just I'm not taking the job for a reason. 

Can you also use "Accept" and "Pass" in Inbox? and still sending me the same leads.

0 Likes