Highlighted

Review Policy Nightmare

Community Regular
Best Answer

I am a Thumbtack top pro, and have been with Thumbtack for over a decade. Currently I have 107 verified ratings and reviews with only two reviews less than a "5".  This context is important to understand what happened to me, and to warn other pros about a gaping  flaw with Thumbtack's review policy.  This past week I received a direct lead from a client. As would most pros, I responded to the post, which was extremely vague without any real explanation of what was needed.  (I provide video production services)  Typically unless a client provides some specific details about their project, the best I can do is to provide a estimate of the job, with an explanation that I would need further information to provide an accurate quote.  My responses to direct leads are always prompt, courteous and as helpful as possible.  Well, apparently not! After sending the response to the post, this particular client sent me this message: "Your giving a quote and then asking what my needs are, to me ,is truly unprofessional and implies You do not care or are not concerned with details." Immediately following this I received a one-star rating from the client accompanied by the words "pay attention".   Understand that other than responding to the original request for a quote, I had no interaction with this client, no verbal discussions, no written discussions, nothing.  Now for a top pro in a very competitive field of contractors, this would be devastating. I have spent thousands of dollars on leads with Thumbtack.com. It is and remains one of my important sources of work. To receive an arbitrary rating like that can cost me thousands of dollars. I attempted to resolve this by calling customer support.  Both the agent I spoke to and the supervisor I spoke to simply kept telling me the same thing: a response to request for a quote represents an "interaction" and the client at that point is allowed to leave a review. Not only that, but once a review is posted, unless it violates the Thumbtack terms of service, the rating/review will NOT be removed. The cavalier and condescending response of Thumbtack was, "well, you can  respond to the review and that will be sufficient."  This, of course, demonstrates the total idiocy of the policy.  So technically any contractor could go on Thumbtack, post a job related to his/her field,  invite competitors to bid, then devastate their reputation by posting a 1 star review, which could easily topple their rating and top pro status.  There is a positive ending to the story -  I was able to speak to the client who posted the rating, and after a very long but excellent discussion it became apparent that the client was not upset with me but with Thumbtack's posting process.  She agreed to speak with Thumbtack - asked them to remove the rating - and even asked them to reimburse my fee - and the review was removed.  Thumbtack says they have a "higher process" when it comes to reviews, but it is SERIOUSLY flawed.  There are times, as infrequent as they may be, when a hard and fast rule just does not apply. And this was one of those times - but there is a stubborn resistance to acknowledge this. I hope this changes, not just for my sake, but for the sake of every other pro on Thumbtack.

replies
Highlighted

Re: Review Policy Nightmare

Active Community Member
Best Answer
I recently had a similar experience when someone left me a 1 start review that I never did any work for all because she didn't like/understand my quote. She lied in her review and tt even admitted she lied but refused to take it down. It goes against their TOS but they still refused to remove it at many levels of management.

The review policy is one of the most negatively commented problems at tt yet they refuse to change it. It's a completely backwards policy.

I've been a loyal tt pro for years but im shifting my advertising budget elsewhere until they start caring for us, the customer.
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
Absolutely!
We are the ones “paying” for the service. Without is the can have all the people in the world looking for Pros and they would tank. The recent outlandish fee increases just kind of show you the whole “backwards-ness” of this whole thing.
Maybe they should start charging the consumer a nominal $5 fee to look for Pros instead, let US rate them for future Pros to know about as well..... may give some of ya a needed “heads up”...
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
What you're describing already exists. UpWork does that.
You can see ratings for clients and you can rate them at the end. Also, they need to verify their form of payment, etc, so it's harder to run away without paying you.
The only problem I see with them (besides the percentage they take from every job) is that it forces Pros in US to compete with Pros in countries were the fees and costs are extremely lower, in comparison. Therefore somebody in Atlanta looking for a web designer could easily pay $20 to a teen in Bangladesh for a job that would cost them $500 in their market.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
where have you shifted your advertising dollars to, if I may ask?
0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Google ads.
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
I am dealing with a similar issue. I have nothing but 5 star ratings except for 2 that came in back to back. One of the is a one star rating with the text, "Just is". I contacted the customer and requested more information. She saw my message and has not responded. The other bad review was a 2 star review with no other information. These were in 2017 and, at that time, they allowed anonymous reviews. I was finally able to coax out who made the reviews and have messaged them, but not heard back. They did not hire me, gave me no feedback, and all I did was send quotes to them. When the one star person said she went in a different direction, I responded with, "Thanks. Would you mind telling me more? I may still be able to offer you what you need. Be well!" That was it. Boom. 1 star review with, "Just is". It is a useless review, anyway, even if something did go wrong because it gives me absolutely no information. Anyway, my 5 star rating went down to a 4.6 and leads were few and far between after that. I finally have it up to a 4.7 after two 5 star reviews came in.

TT customer services just keeps telling me it's their policy to not remove reviews, no matter what.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Hi,
I have had the same issue with Thumbtack. I have been with Thumbtack for nearly 7 years and have 4.9 rating and was told that it would take over 200 5 star reviews for the rating to be pushed to a 5 star rating. This is absolutely ridiculous! I have one of the best ratings among top pros. I have been a Top Pro for 5 years and something has to change. I know as a former Uber driver ratings go up as your ratings improve. So essentially Uber has a better rating system than Thumbtack! Enough Said!

PG
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
More Evidence of Thumbtack finally Circling the Drain ! Truly a Shame as it "used" to function brilliantly and be led responsibly. Truly a Shame !
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Have a Great Weekend ALL and Stay Working and Stay Healthy. It's Truly a Shame they've Chosen to go this Route. This really "used" to be a great place. And I'm deeply saddened to have to say that these days "Used to be" is the Operative Word. Most Unfortunate. "Wish" it wasn't So _ but you know what they say :

IF Wishes were Horses _ All Beggars would Ride !

Cheers ALL. let's see how long it takes for this Post to Get Pulled _ Truly a Shame the way "THEY" choose to Operate these days.

We "used" to Love coming here. Now _ Not So Much _

Truly Unfortunate for ALL Involved. Us AND the Platform _ We "used' to do some really great work here and have met some wonderful people and long term Clients. Cheers. If Only..........
(wonder if they are gonna give me another Silly Badge for this) LoL _ Truly Sad !