Highlighted
Best Answer

Underage users: Does Thumbtack Pre-Screen the Leads

Community Veteran
Best Answer

I just received a lead from a 16-year old trying to get child support set up for her father. No need to go into more details but the text of the lead clearly stated "I am 16 years old..."

How did this get through the screening process?

Now, I can't send you a screen shot because I passed on it and it is gone from my view but I am sure you can find it in the system. I did, after passing on it, report it as inappropriate.

Moderator edit: Title for searchability

States
0 Likes

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Does Thumbtack Pre-Screen the Leads

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@Hankster it is listed in our Terms of Use that Thumbtack pros and customers need to be at least 18 years old to use Thumbtack. If a customer states in their request on their quote message that they're 18, our system usually catches it. If there are ever situations in which we don't catch it, please follow these steps to report it. 

View solution in original post

replies
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Veteran
Best Answer

As a DJ service pro @MR I get leads from 16 year olds looking for a DJ for their Sweet 16 Birthday party event. Even get some from kids, I'm assuming, looking for a DJ for their Graduation party event. The number of hours they they want a DJ for & their low budget are clear indicators to me that these are ghost leads. I pass on those requests immediately. Thumbtack does not screen these requests. Nor is there any check box disclaimer that their customers have to check to prove that they are at least 18 years or older during the filling out the request process.

Hankster 7/24/19

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Veteran
Best Answer
@Hankster This is problematic for a myriad of reasons. In your case a minor can't enter into a contract. In my case many ethics and professional responsibility laws come into play.
TT please prioritize a fix for this as failure to do so puts everyone at risk.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@Hankster it is listed in our Terms of Use that Thumbtack pros and customers need to be at least 18 years old to use Thumbtack. If a customer states in their request on their quote message that they're 18, our system usually catches it. If there are ever situations in which we don't catch it, please follow these steps to report it. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Veteran
Best Answer

@Meckell

I disagree. The TT system is not catching these. As I mentioned I've seen requests come in for Sweet 16 birthday party events that are sent by 16 year old kids. I've been using TT for 10 years. I know what kind of unscreened requests I've seen come through over those years. @MRalso pointed out what's he's seen on a request he got. Also do you really think that your customer is going to take the time to read the Terms Of Use? Of course not! There is nowhere in the request process that tells your TT customer that prior to submitting their request that they HAVE TO read the Terms of Use before continuing. There needs to be something up front in the request process where your customer HAS TO check a box to consent that they are at least 18 years of age before continuing. 

Hankster 7/24/19