Highlighted
Best Answer

Is Thumbtack a FAKE / Spam business?

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I have sent over 100 quotes to potential clients. None of them have even opened my email. I am assuming that there is blue check mark if they at least opened the email. This seems really odd that out of 100 not even one opened the quote email from thumbtack.

On top it, even the direct leads that I accepted and responded to have not opened the emails. This sounds even more odd. And I am paying for direct leads that are not even opening / getting the email.

Then here is the cherry on the top: I have sent two contact us emails to thumbtack. They sent back a lame canned answer back which did not even answer my question.

My question to you other Pros. Is this a legitimate business in your experience?

Thanks,

Sanjay

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Is Thumbtack a FAKE / Spam business?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer
replies
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Hi Sanjay,

Can you clarify. When you say you are sending emails, are you sending those through Thumbtack or through traditional email?

If you are using traditional email, I recommend keeping the initial communication in Thumbtack until you build any relationship because that is the forum the client is comfortable with.

If you are keeping the communication in Thumbtack, you may want to consider reviewing your response to make sure you are focused on the client and their needs first before talking about yourself. I found that when I talk about my qualifications and processes I received less responses then when I focus on the customer first.

Finally, I believe there is a program in Thumbtack where if you respond within a certain time frame and the lead doesn't respond within 48 hours you will receive a refund for that lead.

Thanks,

Dave
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Hi Dave,

Thanks. I am using thumbtack emails for sending the quotes.

It is still not making sense to me. If the client gets my quote and even if they open the email, it should tag in thumbtack that the client has opened the email.

I can understand the client not responding to my quote. But not a single client even "opening" the email makes no sense to me. And this is not one quote, I am talking about over 100 quotes and not a single one has been even opened by a client.

I have been around in internet marketing for a long time and I have never seen this before. This almost looks like a bug in thumbtack system. They not even getting back to my support request makes it look almost fishy to me.

Thanks,

Sanjay
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Hi Sanjay

Here's what I think. Thumbtack gets paid when the customer sends you their first message. This means that if the customer sends a message to your personal email then Thumbtack doesn't get paid. I don't know this to be true but I think that if your initial email to the customer includes your private contact information that it is filtered and not delivered to the customer, to prevent them from contacting you outside of thumbtack first. Try removing your contact information from the initial message, your signature perhaps, so that the customer must use the platform for their first response, and see if that makes a difference.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I have received refunds for unread messages. this has always been automatic for me. If I need a refund for some other reason, which I frequently do, I go to settings>payments>request a refund.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

TackMaster
TackMaster
Best Answer
Hi Sanjay108,

I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing the problems you have been with the system. By what you’ve written, you are clearly committed to get the maximum out of the service by the large number of quotes you’ve submitted to prospects, by contacting the Thumbtack support team for assistance, and by reaching out to other pros in the community for additional help.

Without knowing the specifics of the leads you’re receiving and the quotes you’re providing, I cannot speak to why not one prospect has not opened/read your quotes. The direct leads you received are even more curious, but again, without knowing how many other pros they also reached out to, although unlikely, I can still think of several legitimate scenarios all that has happened could occur.

I have been a Pro on Thumbtack’s platform since 2015. My experience with the service has been a positive one. In fact, I owe the creation of my business Professional & Reliable Bartending to the platform. It allowed me to focus on honing on the services I provided, before ever really having to think about an integrated marketing approach. My very first client was obtained through Thumbtack and I continue to receive qualified leads and new clients to this day.

I am also sorry you have not received any feedback from the support team yet. The assistance I’ve received from the support team over the year has been exceptional and a primary reason why I advocate for the platform. I can only speculate that given these unprecedented times, leaner staff and increased support demands have caused a disruption in their usual responsiveness.

I can assure you, that pros like myself and Dave want to see you succeed because of our continued experience with the platform, and their are members of the Thumbtack team who will look more deeply into your particular situation.

Please continue to be diligent and patient. I am also more than happy to provide you additional support in troubleshooting your particular situation.

- Roger
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Hi Roger,

Thank you for your positive and beautiful answer. I appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Sanjay
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I am not sure what your business model is. I am a handyman, home renovator. It has worked well for me. I often feel like I'm paying too much. The jobs I get often have inaccurate information which leads to me disputing the charges with thumbtack, I frequently think about leaving the platform altogether. That being said, it is a real business. It works for my type of work. The best thing about it is that once get to meet the customer, I frequently get repeat business from them without having to go through the thumbtack platform which makes the high cost of leads pay off.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

TackMaster
TackMaster
Best Answer
Sanjay, looks like you've gotten some pretty thorough responses here so I won't attempt to address each point you raised. Short answer is Thumbtack is legit. I've used it for a couple of businesses I own, and I still use it today. I wouldn't suggest that every bid is going to get a response. No gig site works that way, nor do any claim to. Keep at it, build your profile, get reviews and you'll get gigs.

Good luck,

DJ Steven
Owner, Capital DeeJays LLC
Washington DC Metro Area