Highlighted

Other Pros frustrated by new refund process/CSRs no longer empowered to refund?

Community Regular
Best Answer

I am wondering how many other TT pros are having trouble with legitimate requests for refunds now that Thumbtack no longer empowers their phone CSRs to give refunds. Not only do Pros now have to take the time to write a narrative explaining a request, but I find every request with explanation has been rejected! I had one reversed so far when I sent it back again, but the amount of time required to get a refund you deserve is becoming time-prohibitive.

I talked to a supervisor last week about this and he told me he "understood my frustration." Great. That and and $1.35 buys a cup of coffee. At the time, I had three refund requests pending, and I just new they'd all get form letter rejections of refunds. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

Here's an example. Customer request:

Type of work: Editing, Writing
Editing type: Proofreading, Formatting and fact checking, Copyediting
Document to be edited: Fiction manuscripts
Word count: 10,000 - 30,000 words

Customer gives me a call at 8 a.m. on a Saturday. She explains that she has an idea for a fantasy children's novel, and she wants help making it the next Harry Potter best seller. She has written one page. An industry standard page is 250 words, and I explain the nature of the EXTREME change in amount of work (essentially NONE!) and TT sends me a message:

{NAME} is not eligible for a refund under our policy.

Based on the available information, it appears as if the job only changed slightly from the details in the original request. Because the job still matches your preferences, we consider this a connection with the customer. For more information, see what you pay for on Thumbtack. We appreciate the information you submitted and will consider all feedback when planning future updates to our refund policy.

How on earth is changing from 40-120 pages to 1 "a slight change"???

Anyone else experiencing a lot of trouble with getting the refunds you deserve? Personally, I'm losing trust in TT quite quickly based on this new procedure for refunds. If you can't talk to a person empowered to change, I think you're going to end up losing a lot of money for illegitimate leads.

replies
Highlighted

Re: Other Pros frustrated by new refund process/CSRs no longer empowered to refund?

Community Regular
Best Answer
Oh, and I forgot to mention--when you get a form letter response about your request for a refund, it comes from a do not reply email address--cutting the line of communication about it, pretty much saying, "That settles that."
I think it sends a pretty strong message to pros that TT is looking to cut way back on how many refunds it gives and is making it much more difficult to get one, regardless of circumstances.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Other Pros frustrated by new refund process/CSRs no longer empowered to refund?

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I completely agree except I have not even received the courtesy of a "do not reply" email. I was charged $66 for one lead. That's insane in anyone's book. It's been over 2 weeks. Keep up the fight. I will keep submitting my request until I receive some acknowledgment.
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
WOW! I'm very curious to hear the details. What kind of service(s) do you offer?
I've watched as leads for editing have gone from $8-10 to $16 to $20--and that $20 can be for any of the word count ranges...vast difference in the amount of work/income potential.
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
This is so very true!
I’m an electrician and started using thumbtack back in January. At some point between April and may, the rates nearly doubled. I went from spending $150-250/week on leads to $250-500+ of the same amount of leads, it’s f*cking ridicules. It was like $4-12/lead and now it’s $12-$36 a f*cking lead. And now they’re limiting refunds? Sounds like they’re starting to get greedy with money. We need to seriously start something about this. I know we are not the only ones.
0 Likes