Highlighted

The lack of leads continues; anyone else having this issue too and how have you resolved it?

Active Community Member
Best Answer
I haven't been able to get any help or insight on the utter lack of leads in the last 7+ months through the traditional pathways of calling customer service or through texting them. 

I know that TT completely revamped its business model nearly a year ago, and we no longer receive direct leads or emails letting us know a customer is looking for a professional.  Instead, these all go directly through the Targeting option, so we must have that turned on in order to get leads.  

I do have it turned on in multiple categories, but have received no leads/messages at all for more than 8 months.  This really makes no sense, as I used to have weekly inquiries and have been hired 100+ times over the last 4 or so years.  I can see a very small number of 'opportunities' when I click there, but most are 70+ miles away, and for the smallest budget.  There are usually no more than 2 or 3.

Texting with customer service yields nothing.  They've said 'your account is fine; there's nothing more we can do to help.'  And unfortunately when I call in, I get more of the same.  The rep says 'it's the holidays, that's why you're not getting leads,' even though I've explained to him I've been on the site for 6+ years so I know the trends, and this issue started many months ago, well before the holiday season.  

When I asked to speak with a supervisor to get more insight, I was put on hold for quite a while, and eventually, told one could not be reached but would contact me in the future.  This, of course, never happened.  Part of that could be the off-shoring of customer service to a place where TT doesn't feel comfortable providing the reps with our 'full' information.  

Should I just give up?  I know I'm not alone in these frustrations.  I think many veteran pros have experienced the same thing with no resolution other than being told in the online community 'please call customer service; they can help you' (which, of course, we've already tried.)

I'd very much appreciate the guidance of other pros and moderator here, as long as it isn't to just call customer service or to send them a private message; I think the responses need to be public, so we can all benefit from the advice imparted.  Thanks.

States
replies
Highlighted

Re: The lack of leads continues; anyone else having this issue too and how have you resolved it?

Community Veteran
Best Answer
Great post. I think many feel the same pain with no positive resolutions. This seems to be a pretty common problem across many of the professions represented.
I do know that many of the pros posting here are quite frustrated to say the least.
Highlighted

Re: The lack of leads continues; anyone else having this issue too and how have you resolved it?

Community Regular
Best Answer

We're there with you!

Just know that this is not your fault only Thumbtack's. They've created a new system where it is benefitial for their company but not the pros giving money to their new system. There are leads here and there, but to your point- not how it was before. Either that, or their marketing is completely off.

Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Thank you. I suspect that the new business model includes targeting as many new, novice pros as possible, as they have less experience and are therefore more willing to pay more money for leads and signing up for every pricing category, even really low ones that don't make sense for experienced pros to waste energy on. And therefore, if you do not agree to pay to quote in every pricing category, you basically get squeezed out of the bidding process. Why else would we constantly see pros with only 10 to 20 reviews coming up higher in the searches than those of us with so many more reviews and hires?

If that's not correct and a viable alternate explanation can be presented by the moderators as to why so many of us have been squeezed out and are no longer receiving any leads at all, I'd love to hear it.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
It’s not you. I’m seeing the same thing. I’ve been in the number one spot on Thumbtack for my services for years with 199 hires and I’ve never seen it this bad. I’m using promote in all my service categories. I get maybe one good lead every other week when it used to be several a day.

My insights say only 3% of pros are responding in the 4 hour window and I suspect many are not responding at all anymore except those new to the platform. 1/3 of “most popular pros” are now out of state and I’m in Seattle!

I haven’t seen a thumbtack ad in weeks. Sadly I’ve started easing over to Google Ads which has been much better ROI of late. If no new funding is on the horizon or a potential buyer I fear the worst.

Trying to “keep it positive“ here by the cooler but not going to sugar coat the facts either. I hope TT gets back on track soon.
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Hmmm, I don't get the impression at all that this lack of leads issue has anything to do with financial trouble on tt's part. If anything, I'd guess it's the reverse. They're doing so well they aren't really concerned about servicing any pro who has an issue because they know another novice will come and take our place. They've signed so many 'pros' up to autopay in every category, they don't bother trying to assist us when we have an issue. They've offshored customer service now and the lack of training/ available of the reps there is glaring. Yesterday I spent nearly 40 minutes on the phone with someone who was clearly in a room full of other reps, all of whom were talking at once and I could barely hear what he was saying. They can't even invest in noise-cancelling headsets. He went away 4 times to try to find a supervisor at my request, then insisted one would call me back because he couldn't find anyone. I asked him to please send me email confirmation of our chat, which he never did. No supervisor ever called me back or emailed. I guess this is what now passes for 'support' .

I thought I'd give it one more try with tt to see if there was something I could do to get back to my earlier level of success on here, even if that meant paying for more leads, but my inquiries and attempts just seem to go into a black hole somewhere in Manila. It's appalling.
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

I turn on "targetting" only intermitantly...  I would say my track record is about three tire kickers for one solid lead, and with leads in my category now costing up to $14.00, I'm pretty much breaking even. In my own case, (resume writing), I am competing with providers from all over the country, not just in my local market.   As near as I can tell, most of my local competition gave up a long time ago on Thumbtack. 

Ways Thumbtack could fix this. 

1) Restrict bids to ONLY local providers 

2) Reduce cost of bids to something reasonable, like $5.00 a lead. 

3) Only charge the lead if the Pro is hired.