Highlighted

4 secrets for happy customers.

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer
Best Answer

THUMBTACK IMAGES_1092.jpg

Great customer service does more than build long-term customer relationships — it creates brand advocates, who will pour their time and energy into helping your business on social media and beyond. Plus, nothing feels quite as good as watching a customer walk away satisfied with your service. Here’s how to make your customers happy. Like really, really happy.

1. Make yourself available via email, text, social media — the more the better.

Create a few communication channels, so that customers can get in touch with you in the way they’re most comfortable. Millennials might Snapchat you a question, while baby boomers will probably want to chat things out over the phone. And unless you’re equally responsive on everything, (hats off to you) also let them know which channel will get the fastest response. For example, if you’re on a job site all day and rarely have time to check email or pick up the phone, let your customers know that texting is their best bet if they need a quick reply.

2. Really listen. It helps your customer feel heard and cuts down on mistakes.

Seems small, but listening can determine a lot about the quality of your work and the longevity of your customer relationship. Most of us could use the reminder to slow down a listen in a way that makes your customer feel understood and respected. That means focusing on what they’re saying, determining their mood, relaying back things they’ve said, asking follow-up questions, empathizing with their issues if they’re upset, and delivering a solution that will work for both of you.

3. Remind customers you’re always getting better. Ask for feedback.

Tell your customers that you want to hear about their experience, good or bad, and if they have any ideas about improvements you could make or things you could do differently. Not only is this a great way to build trust and make your customers feel valued, it brings issues to your attention so you can fix them.

4. Put yourself in your customer’s shoes.

Empathy is everything. If a customer has a problem or complaint, put yourself in their shoes to understand the issue and offer the best solution. If necessary, apologize, and let the customer know you recognize why they’re upset and want to help. If you’re not sure how to solve the problem, ask them what solution they’d be satisfied with. And, even if the customer is being rude, always remain calm and don’t take it personally.

What’s working for your business? Share your best tip in the comments.

replies
Highlighted

Re: 4 secrets for happy customers.

Active Community Member
Best Answer

I do all of these things. The client doesn't want to share information in the inbox

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

Okay

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

With over 1,000 reviews, I think Thumbtack should lower the rating needed to win this award. If my company were to add 50 5stars reviews, I could not move from a rating of 4.62 to 4.8. Just saying!

Highlighted

Best Answer

@BrianA Sure there are those times where a customer may not respond or add their contact info in their project details, but there are those who will respond and either add their number up front, later in the messenger, or discuss all details and hire the pro through the messenger. We call it a lead because we've helped you make that first connection and give you the opportunity to sell your services and close the deal. The customer specifically chose to reach out to you after looking at the list of options. We are doing our best to make sure "ghosting" happens less, but when it does happen, here are some tips. The key is to make sure you are winning enough jobs overall to make your investment in Thumbtack worthwile, even if some individual leads don't pan out. 

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
Highlighted

Best Answer

@yourfriendswith Congratulations on having so many reviews! Are you referring to the Top Pro award? If so the 4.8 rating needed to obtain it is over the past 12 months and not as a whole. So while you may have a 4.6 rating overall it's possible to have a 4.8 rating for the past 12 months and reach Top Pro.

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

My only point is if I recieve 10 5 star reviews, it will not raise my rating measurably. I think Thumbtack should addopt a sliding scale based on # of reviews and not only the overall score.

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

To @yourfrindswith point, which one of these represents a more solid choice for a customer,  a pro with 5 reviews for the year, 4 of which are 5 star and 1 is a four star, or a pro with 100 reviews for the year, 85 of which are 5 star, 10 of which are 4 star, 4 of which are 3 star, and one is a 2 star? 

I think that latter will get more jobs, yet the former is the "Top Pro".  The sliding scale would mean that the more reviews you have the lower the average rating would need to be to earn "Top Pro".  

No one is suggesting that the rating be lowered say below 4.5, but if a pro is  doing several hundred jobs a year, you will run into a few customers that will try to use reviews to extort discounts or just not even give you a chance to correct an issue that can happen from time to time.  It only takes a few of these to drop you below 4.8.  

The problem is that the current system often doens't recognize who the "Top Pros" really are.  

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

I have a similar concern with the rating required and the lack of using cummulative reviews. I had a potential client reach out to me and then followed up with a text. When I did not agree to complete the services for his terms, he left me a 1 star review when I was never hired nor did I even agree to a job (or even a consultation). This one one star review dropped my rating and is impacting my top pro status. I repeatedly reached out to thumbtack support asking them to remove the review, sharing my side of the story, and yet I can't even get a follow up phone call or a courtesy message about their review process. I have been using thumbtack for over two years and they know they've gotten a lot of money from my quotes but they don't seem to actually support their pros. This is my livelihood and I take my work very seriously and it's really frustrating they don't have a process to support pros or remove reviews. And then they don't even use cummulative review rating for top pro! As a small business owner and the sole worker, I can only work with so many clients (and therefore get so many reviews) in a 6 month window. It would be nice to feel like thumbtack had my back with this client and the top pro process. 

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

Agree with your comments