Highlighted

Re: 6 signs it’s time to raise your prices.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I appreciate this article and I agree with most of the tips listed.  I also wanted to add that I have turned off my instant match for weddings because it wasn't working for me.  I was getting a higher response rate sending quotes on my own even though I really don't have much time to do that 😞

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

After auditing my 6 months old TT connection, I realize I've spent about $1k - mostly since June when they switched pricing. Also, the leads I have protested for being charged are almost all since June. 

I almost don't buy TT leads anymore. Used to love TT but have had to resort to alternatives. Real potential customers who pay realistically for my services. I think TT can fix this. Their customers are fleeing.

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

I'm a personal trainer and own my own fitness studio. I have raised my rates two times in the past 6 months. When I started, I had a few clients tell me my rates were too low. I have been in sales for a long time and one thing I have learned is to NEVER be ashamed of my price. But, the article is correct in that your price makes a value statement about you. I'm very good at what I do and I price accordingly and, subsequently, my prices have increased as my business has grown. The bottom line is, not every customer is MY customer. I market for clients who will be for me longer than one month and not necessarily to those who just want to lose weight soley for a particular upcoming event like a vacation. As a trainer, customer retention is the foundation of my business.  To address some business owners on this thread, I agree with you 100% that some of the prospects on Thumbtack are looking to get something for nothing. In my case, I respond only to the select demographic of who MY typical client is (female, 27-50 years old, in a 15 mile radius from my studio, etc.) as to not waste money on tire kickers or bargain shoppers. As a new business owner I don't have the luxury of wasting money on unproductive marketing efforts.

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

i agree with most everyone on this subject. I cannot give a quote if I can't contact the customer. I specialize in detailing homes meaning I go  in for  one time and occasional cleanings. I do get a lot of repeat customers. I am bonded and insured and carry Workman's Comp. I do a tremendous amount of business, but not through Thumbtack because people most often do not respond to quotes. They don't answer the phone and when they do, they say they are just checking prices. It is too expensive to pay for useless leads. I am currently paying $26.00/month for something I don't use. I was supposed to get unlimited leads for this price. It's not happening. I will not be renewing my subscription. My work is intense and tedious. I take great pride in what I do and expect my cleaners to always do their best. Most customers do not understand what a deep cleaning is. I will be looking for customers who understand that this service is for people who are serious about what they want done. These customers want to pay $20/hour, if that. I travel all over New Hampshire. I do not do weekly or bi-weekly cleanings. I look forward to more comments from others.  Ann Lesmerises, Quick Snap Cleaning, LLC.

Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

??? I'm baffled by this article! I have to charge half my normal rate in order to come in anwhere near the budget selected by TT customers! TT shows insanely low rates for photography services! These rates that you put out as "guidelines" for what the customer should expect the job to cost, have NOTHING to do with real world rates that professional photographers charge! Apparently you got your "data" from amateur shoot-n-burn wanna-bes, because the rates that TT give are what hobbyists charge, who are looking to make some undeclared cash on the side. My overhead costs to put a person in front of my camera are about $200 per session, yet every day requests come in with budgets of $100-150. Those jobs actually cost me money out of pocket to fulfill. If the client doesn't purchase extra prints, wall pieces, or an album, that job is actually a loser for me. PLEASE contact me for proper budget estimates to provide for clients, because they are getting burned every day because they hire someone based on your saying that's what it should cost, and then they get some amateur to take awful, unsusable images.

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

I think it is BS what thunbtack is doing changing everything. Without us contractors they would be nothing. It was 5 contractors in beginning competing now its 15. They are getting greedy and they need to get clents phone numbers is a must so us contractors can market these people once we pay for the leads. I havent got one job since the switch there program. Ive been a top pro for years and this is the thanks I get. Word of mouth does travel and thumbtack is just looking out for them not us contractors. 

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

I started out 2 years ago with TT and even then there was always the people that want your service for next to nothing. 

I have been and still am on other sites and they all do the same, they give the customer an average cost for services. None of these prices are even close to the cost of running a legitimate business with Insurance, workers comp and payroll.

I lost my top pro status because I have not used TT for several months so no reviews and hires. 

It is good for a start up, but after awhile it became more frustrating compeating against the uninsured that it seems allot of people are willing to take a chance with, that is until something goes wrong and we all look bad,

With so many leads going out from TT they really should verify the legitimacy of the providers using TT, if for no other reason to protect the end user, our customers.

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Thanks somewhat for this article. In fact i had already decided to raise my rates but this reinforced that decision for me.

WRT TT overall, I have become increasingly disenchanted with their service. I think it was great for both TT and me when I first started my business. But I’m not looking for unlimited growth. I want to get AND KEEP good customers and the “TopPro” parameters don’t support this business model. Since changing their bidding structure I've used the site less and less - very unhappy with the change. The “instant quote” idea is a joke for my business since i am wholly commited to personalized service, not a one size fits all approach. I look forward to the day when I no longer need to use TT for leads!

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I agree with this article. I have raised my prices slowly as business grows. I have a good steady base of repeat clients now. For new clients, I always try to manage expectations with my quote or pre-work communications. I don't bargain, either, the prices are the prices. If prospects want something different or cheaper, that is fine with me, they can go elsewhere. If you don't value your own work and worth, your prospects and clients won't either. It is a lot easier (and cheaper) to retain good clients than to create new ones.  

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I raise my rates when I need to. Please don't quote for me. It's far less than it should be.