Highlighted

Re: How to set your prices.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I don't think customers like that I've raised prices to cover the outrageous costs on thumbtack. 

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I am pretty much losing money on Thumbtack at the moment. I've paid for many contacts but when only one hires, it kinda defeats the entire purpose. I'd been better off using my budget for facebook ads to reach thousands of people. 

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

No my whole thing was you have to be able to set the price first I haven't been able to see my pricings in a long time and I've already called numerous times and spoke with people about getting it fixed the last 3 weeks my Thumbtack app and my PC has been more or less down because I haven't received nothing every time I call it says I'm going to get it fixed but I know how it is everybody's busy

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

I want to see what I can do to help @edgewilliam. Will you send me a private message with more info on what's been going on with your account? 

0 Likes

Active Community Member
Best Answer

I just wanted to update on pricing, I've learned a couple of things and have been able to do better with thumbtack. I've been bidding on the right jobs and I'm not paying that much out for leads and winning a lot more jobs. So for me it's been getting a little better. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

but I have a question, what is the difference in levels, what does leve 5 mean for me?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@twintroubleinc great question! The level shown refers to the pros amount of activity here in the Pro Community. 

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

Where do you set pricing? The info on the site doesn't match what I see, there are no options to set prices. Also my profile is being limited to 10 reviews despite having over 100 in fb, google, etc. It's not very clear on how to proceed here.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@webguru the services that you offer have more variables when it comes to pricing and it's tough just to give a price upfront without knowing any extra details. Because of that, there isn't the option to set prices for your services. Don't worry though, we're working hard to get this figured out! At this time, I'd recommend giving a rough outline of what you charge in your profile. That way, customers can know what to expect before they decide to reach out to you. 

We allow you to transfer up to 10 reviews from past customers who you didn't work for on Thumbtack. The rest of the reviews you'll receive will need to be from customers who you work with on Thumbtack. 

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

@PhilippaB wrote:

Prices.jpg

1. Do your research.

Setting prices can be nuanced work. It all depends on different factors, from cost of materials to market demand. If the prices in your area are a mystery to you, Thumbtack’s pricing data might be helpful. You can check out average local and national prices in your industry.

“You need to be priced competitively. Often clients have a number in mind, so knowing that number and what your competition will charge is important for picking a reasonable rate,” says Top Pro resume writer Tiffany Cruz.

2. Raise your prices as you build your business.

Are you just getting started? Or has your company been in the game for awhile? The stage of your business matters. Even if you provide amazing service, customers won’t pay premium prices for a pro that has no reviews or established reputation.

“In the beginning I figured that offering a high-quality service meant charging top rate prices. Of course, we didn’t have any jobs under our belt so that wasn’t going to happen. I brought the price down to a reasonable rate to get my name out there and business has been growing ever since,” says Jonathan Johnson, whose photo booth company has been hired 200+ times since opening its doors on Thumbtack.

If you’re still building your reviews, charge at a lower rate, like Jonathan. As your company grows, raise your prices. You may worry about losing customers when you begin charging more, but remember that new prices can open you up to a whole pool of potential clients who will pay more for quality service.

3. Be transparent from the start.

Talking about money can be awkward. But the sooner you discuss prices with your customer, the easier the conversation becomes. Top Pro house cleaner Paige Rounds schedules an “onboarding call” every time she hears from a customer. The 10-minute chat covers timing, products and price.

“We make sure [everything] is clear to the customer before we schedule an appointment. We don’t want to show up expecting one number only to discover they expect something totally different,” says Paige.

Another way to be transparent about prices is to get it down in writing: a pdf of an estimate or a standard service agreement. Or an email, at the very least. As long as it’s something that a customer can refer back to in case there’s any confusion over price.

What are your best pricing tips? Tell us in the comments.

0 Likes