A great headshot helps you stand out from the crowd, and it doesn’t have to cost a lot. In fact, you can take a professional-looking headshot at home on your camera phone — but when, where, and how you do it makes all the difference.
Take a photo that will catch your customer’s eye with these tips from Thumbtack’s head of photography.
What you’ll need. To take a great headshot you’ll need these four things:
Turn your living room into a photo studio. Here’s what to wear, where to stand and how to catch the light.
1. Wear something comfortable and neutral. Avoid busy patterns or bright colors. A collared shirt always works.
2. Find a wall that’s right next to a window. The window acts like a photographer’s lights and screens, adding natural depth to your photo.
3. Make sure the wall is plain and clean. Busy wallpapers, smudges or artwork will take away from your polished look.
4. Turn off the lights and raise the blinds. Use as much natural daylight from the window as you can get. Avoid overhead lights that can cast dark shadows.
Prep, pose, and take your photo. Here are the best poses and angles for a professional-looking headshot.
5. Open the camera app. Pick the portrait setting on your phone’s camera if you have the option.
6. Stand close to a wall. Leave just a few inches between you and the wall so there are no distracting shadows.
7. Hold the phone slightly higher than eye level. This helps emphasize your jawline and chin.
8. Smile. The friendlier, the better.
9. Use your camera’s backside camera (it’s higher resolution) and snap three to five photos at a time. Then review and adjust your positioning based on what you see.
Here are a few more photo tips for your profile:
Want to share a tip of your own? Start a discussion in Trending Topics and comment below.