Highlighted

How Self Employed Individuals can apply for the Paycheck Protection Program

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

On April 10, lenders began accepting applications from self-employed individuals to take part in the Paycheck Protection Program. There have been a number of questions about how the self-employed apply and qualify for this program and today the Treasury Department has released additional guidance. You can find the full guidance online and frequently asked questions below. We suggest working with your accountant and financial institution to determine your individual eligibility. You can find a list of participating lenders and more information about the Paycheck Protection Program from the Small Business Association. 

I have income from self-employment and file a Form 1040, Schedule C. Am I eligible for a PPP Loan?

You are eligible for a PPP loan if: you were in operation on February 15, 2020; you are an individual with self-employment income (such as an independent contractor or a sole proprietor); your principal place of residence is in the United States; and you filed or will file a Form 1040 Schedule C for 2019. However, if you are a partner in a partnership, you may not submit a separate PPP loan application for yourself as a self- employed individual. 

SBA will issue additional guidance for those individuals with self-employment income who: were not in operation in 2019 but who were in operation on February 15, 2020, and will file a Form 1040 Schedule C for 2020.

How do I calculate the maximum amount I can borrow and what documentation is required?

How you calculate your maximum loan amount depends upon whether or not you employ other individuals. If you have no employees, the following methodology should be used to calculate your maximum loan amount:

Step 1: Find your 2019 IRS Form 1040 Schedule C line 31 net profit amount (if you have not yet filed a 2019 return, fill it out and compute the value). If this amount is over $100,000, reduce it to $100,000. If this amount is zero or less, you are not eligible for a PPP loan.

Step 2: Calculate the average monthly net profit amount (divide the amount from Step 1 by 12).

Step 3: Multiply the average monthly net profit amount from Step 2 by 2.5.

Step 4: Add the outstanding amount of any Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) made between January 31, 2020 and April 3, 2020 that you seek to refinance, less the amount of any advance under an EIDL COVID-19 loan (because it does not have to be repaid).

Regardless of whether you have filed a 2019 tax return with the IRS, you must provide the 2019 Form 1040 Schedule C with your PPP loan application to substantiate the applied-for PPP loan amount and a 2019 IRS Form 1099-MISC detailing nonemployee compensation received (box 7), invoice, bank statement, or book of record that establishes you are self-employed. You must provide a 2020 invoice, bank statement, or book of record to establish you were in operation on or around February 15, 2020.

How can PPP loans be used by individuals with income from self-employment who file a 2019 Form 1040, Schedule C?

The proceeds of a PPP loan are to be used for the following.

• Owner compensation replacement, calculated based on 2019 net profit.
  • Employee payroll costs 
  • Mortgage interest payments on any business mortgage obligation on real or personal property, business rent payments, and business utility payments. You must have claimed or be entitled to claim a deduction for such expenses on your 2019 Form 1040 Schedule C for them to be a permissible use during the eight-week period following the first disbursement of the loan.
  • Interest payments on any other debt obligations that were incurred before February 15, 2020 (such amounts are not eligible for PPP loan forgiveness).
  • Refinancing an SBA EIDL loan made between January 31, 2020 and April 3, 2020. If you received an SBA EIDL loan from January 31, 2020 through April 3, 2020, you can apply for a PPP loan.

Are there any other restrictions on how I can use PPP loan proceeds?

Yes. At least 75 percent of the PPP loan proceeds shall be used for payroll costs. 

What amounts shall be eligible for forgiveness?

The amount of loan forgiveness can be up to the full principal amount of the loan plus accrued interest. The actual amount of loan forgiveness will depend, in part, on the total amount spent over the covered period on:

• Payroll costs including salary, wages, and tips, up to $100,000 of annualized pay per employee (for eight weeks, a maximum of $15,385 per individual), as well as covered benefits for employees (but not owners), including health care expenses, retirement contributions, and state taxes imposed on employee payroll paid by the employer (such as unemployment insurance premiums);
  • Owner compensation replacement, calculated based on 2019 net profit, with forgiveness of such amounts limited to eight weeks’ worth (8/52) of 2019 net profit, but excluding any qualified sick leave equivalent amount.
  • Payments of interest on mortgage obligations on real or personal property incurred before February 15, 2020, to the extent they are deductible on Form 1040 Schedule C (business mortgage payments)
  • Rent payments on lease agreements in force before February 15, 2020, to the extent they are deductible on Form 1040 Schedule C (business rent payments)
  • Utility payments under service agreements dated before February 15, 2020 to the extent they are deductible on Form 1040 Schedule C (business utility payments)

What documentation will I be required to submit to my lender with my request for loan forgiveness?

The 2019 Form 1040 Schedule C that was provided at the time of the PPP loan application must be used to determine the amount of net profit allocated to the owner for the eight-week covered period. 

In addition to the borrower certification required by Section 1106(e)(3) of the CARES Act, to substantiate your request for loan forgiveness, you must submit evidence of business rent, business mortgage interest payments on real or personal property, or business utility payments during the covered period if you used loan proceeds for those purposes.

0 Likes