Highlighted

Re: Contest Alert! Win $100 in Thumbtack credit!

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
When I first engage with a customer I always give them the opportunity to contact me directly I also give the option for them to give me a good time for me to contact them directly and I like to reiterate that we can continue to communicate directly on Thumbtack if that's what they prefer some customers will send you a phone number and want a phone call other time customers feel more comfortable just communicating on Thumbtack and that's okay too. Everyone's coming from a different place. You especially have to notice this when you're dealing with Millennials vs seniors in the community and of course we obviously don't know who we are dealing with at first. The best thing is to give customers options, respond quickly follow up, give your phone number and give them options. The more you do your part the more likely you are to engage with a customer and get them to hire you!
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Listen, listen, listen!

One time a potential portrait client had an issue where he received a black eye at the gym hours before our shoot. I heard him out and I agreed to do portrait retouching for him. He lived he results and left me a glowing review. It was a great lesson I hearing a client out and tailoring services to meet their unique needs!
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Whenever I receive a lead, whether through customer contact or my own bid based on available request, I first use my templated responses based on the type of work. I make sure to follow up immediately with a message offering my cell, business line and email and ask them to choose what is most comfortable for them to reach out and discuss their request further. I include that if there is any other method they’d feel is easier to give me the feedback and options. So I can meet their need and thank them in advance as it will help me improve my communication.

My best example was getting a response from a lead after I reached out, asking me to call them via a text to speech relay service due tii ok their hearing impairment. They thanked me for giving them the option for providing their own communication method. I was able to calm through this line and walk them through my offerings. They were so appreciative of my patience and persistence with explaining my served was and ideas for their request in such a long call, that they hired me. It always makes me proud to do good in the community and support anyone’s needs in providing services regardless of their communication choices or in some case need. Never assume that how you as the business feel you want to interact with your potential customers is the only thing you can offer. Otherwise you risk blocking out countless opportunities to support those looking to get a job done.
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I respond as fast as possible to every lead. Then If they open a communication with me I request that we exchange numbers so we can discuss their plans personally. At that point we can usually close the deal.
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

We actually don’t try to analyze the customer’s preferred communication, but instead guide them to use our communication style. We know that everyone is not our client, so this is a great way to weed out client’s that might not be a good fit for us.

Customers are already telling us they want to interact via the Internet as they are submitting their requests online. Knowing the customer will get several leads, we instantly provide them with our already thought out introduction message that includes what the quote includes, a link to our website to reaffirm we are a legitimate business, several appointment options based on their original submission, and a simple question asking them if any of those dates work.

While having a customer-business relation is important, we understand we as consumers are always on the go and prefer quick minimal interactions. The real communication starts once we enter their homes and start gaining their trust and building a relationship.

We have found that the customers that chose to go with us, was due to the fact that we provided them with what they needed within the first message they received.

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
As a Thumbtack professional, understanding the customer’s preferred communication style is essential for ones success in business. First of all, it is so important to read every customers request, including comments, age and preferences to better understand the customer.
In a recent case, I came across a request from a mother looking for guitar lessons for her teenage son that was transitioning from violin.
In this situation, I tried to be considerate of the distance to give lessons in person as well as understanding possible time constraints as a mother.
With this in mind, I tried to respond briefly, providing all the necessary details to give online lessons and make the process as smooth as possible for her. I also suggested to give online lessons a try and see if it would be suitable for her teenage son.
Since then, the mother has been pleased with the lessons and even agreed to pay for 20 lessons in advance as I offered to give a discount for the bundled prepayment.
I hope other professionals find this useful in acquiring new customers, as we all keep learning to adjust to each person’s style of communication.

Best,
JG Music Lessons
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I evaluate the customers communication style by active listening and simply asking. I chose active listening because in most cases, the customer will tell you their pet peeve or things they enjoy. In a intimate setting, people are more likey to share their beliefs, opinions, and ideations. I would just support that customer with motivational interviewing skills and encourage them that they are in a safe space to express themselves. I would adjust my approach by using empathy and letting the client lead where necessary.
Thanks
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Online communication has become extremely popular for many of my customers, with some preferring to keep it online, and others looking to make it a starting point.  In either case, customers have become accustomed to instant results.  They assume that if they fill out a form, submit it, responses should be quick.  If not, they keep searching online until someone responds to them.  With this understanding, I take the following steps:

1. Read the entire request so you understand the scope of their request, and respond as quickly as possible.  I have text alerts for thumbtack leads on my phone and typically respond within 10 minutes to most leads.  TT allows you to save responses to use again, so I have a few of them saved to save time.  I include several questions in my response to encourage dialouge. Then I just make a few small changes and send.  

2. The speed and content in which I get a response from the customer tells me a great deal about their comfort level in online communication.  If they take a long time to respond, or give incomplete answers to questions, they are probably going to need to take communication to a different method.  If they respond quickly, and completely, then I know this customer is comfortable with online communication so I continue online straight through to scheduling the appointment.  

3. Based upon either of these customer types, once I feel I have their attention through online communication, I offer them a choice in how to communicate as we move forward.  If they are slow or incomplete responders, I ask them if they would prefer to talk to me directly so that we can better understand how to assist them, and offer my phone number as well as ask for theirs. If the customer is very comfortable with online communication, then I keep it online until I secure the appointment.  Once secured, I ask them for their contact information for scheduling purposes and share mine as well.  Then I ask them if they would prefer a call or text for further discussion, or keep it on TT.  

Doing these three steps has helped me tremendously on TT.  The customer always feels like they are in control, communication stays fluid, and I close more deals in my market.  

I recently had a customer make a request on TT, which I responded to in 6 minutes, however, another pro responded in 3 minutes.  Communication was slow at first but I kept persisting, giving details and being patient with the customer.  After a few back and forth communications on TT, I realized the customer was going back and forth between the two of us to see who she wanted to use.  I kept it on TT while filtering through her questions, then she came back with a request for me to assist.  She wanted to keep it on TT so I honored her request until she was ready.  I secured the job then she asked me to take offline to texting.  When I arrived and completed the job, she was very grateful and thanked me for staying in communication with her on TT.  She told me that at first she was talking to another pro, but he would not take time to answer her questions on TT, and kept pushing to close for an appointment and taking it off line.  Then she said "you took the time to answer my questions and respect my wished to communicate online so I felt much more comfortable with you, that is why I chose you".  

Hope this helps you all, as it has done for me.

Cheers Everyone!

Ernesto

At Home Keys Locksmiths, serving Central Florida

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I explain that I understand that Hiring a Professional this way might be somewhat unique, since Potential Clients don't get to see me "In Action. "
I make sure that they have seen my Pictures and Reviews on my Facebook Page.
This helps to ease their mind.
I explain that although my Rates are Extremely Competitive with those who are Less Experienced, they will not have to compromise Quality.
The key for me is to listen to the Clients Concerns and Expectations, and then make them confident that I can not only Meet their expectations, but Exceed them!
I am sure to address their concerns, and make sure that when I am done they are confident that they chose the Right Professional.
Often times, when I am at the Booking, I will receive "Comparative Compliments " from a Client who has Booked and was not pleased with the Service Provided by another Professional.
I strive to get a Confirmation from the Client, that they are happy with the Service I Provide.
Sometimes this means being adaptable to changes, at the Booking, as was the case with a Recent Booking.
I was Booked to make Balloons for the Children, for 3 Hours.
Unfortunately there were not that many children.
Instead of making Simple Balloon Figures, and then getting paid to sit around, I made my More Elaborate Balloon Figures, and made some for the Adults too!
Bottom line is to put yourself in the Client's Shoes, and be able to show what sets you apart, and why you are not just the Best Choice, but the Only Choice.
This method seems to keep me Comfortably Busy.
Responding to the Enquiries in a Timely Manner is crucial.
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I prefer when customers reveal as much information as possible on their inquiry. When they do not, I try to ask all the questions I need to answers to, to give a better estimate while still trying to set myself apart. I try to show what I offer that might set me apart. I also think it’s important to convey to them how you will value their special occasion.