Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

A message from Marco

It should come as no surprise that Thumbtack is going through a period of change.  Many of you in the Community have been asking why we're making these changes in the first place.

Our CEO and co-founder, Marco Zappacosta, recorded this message, explaining our vision and where we’re heading.

As Marco notes, we’re making these changes with one goal in mind: getting you more customers.

We know it’s still a work in progress.  And we hear your frustrations around pricing in particular (prices not being transparent, prices being too high).

We’re working as hard as we can to make improvements, find solutions, and bring the vision that Marco articulates to life.  

So stay tuned.  And keep asking questions.  We created this Community to help you find answers.

130 responses

Re: A message from Marco

The problem with the new plan is I believe it saturates the potential client with too many options.  You are asking my services to stand out against more than double the options prospects had in the past. Then you handicap me by putting my quote in a cookie cutter, my quote fits all template and it just turns into a crapshoot for the prospect and radically declined my success rate with thumbtack.  I just hope you guys are making more money because you have killed this Pros business here. Check out my Stats before and after your visionary changes. 

Reb
Level 5

Have to agree, before you had to stay on top and customize your quotes. You had to take the time and make an effort to contact immediately.

Now every prospect gets blasted for free by your competition (while they watch Maury) and if you dont want to play the money game gamble, you will never see the prospects info, only the crumbs left over.

Amen. That's spot on. Before I had well-meaning, well thought out contact with a prospective client. I tailored my information to be both relevant and informational to their need. All that's out the window as the prospects get the firehose of quotes to the face all in the name of speed? Please. Now, on the rare occasion, a prospect does reach out to me, it cost me 15.00-20.00 ( based on only God knows ) instead of the 5.00-8.00 it once cost me. ROI? There is none anymore so I took myself off insta-quote.  

JanDHM
Level 5

That's the same reason I also took myself off. If I understand right, Instant Match quotes get seen first. So way down there in the list comes our carefully custom-crafted high quality accurate quote that serious clients used to respond well to. Now I'm concerned that they may be getting tired of the impersonal cookie-cutter quotes and stop viewing before they get to mine and yours. 

ChefZacki
Level 6

I just heard Marco's "chat" and referral to being partners. I do not feel like a partner nor valid part of this business that I signed onto almost 9 years ago. Was the first personal chef and caterer in my area of NC. There was a moment in time, that I was to communicate with Marco directly...Do not come into this arena without 32 years of being in business hard knocks and lots of blessings. Some wisdom that I learned from my deceased fiance, Fred Rentschler; former president of Armour-Dial, Hunt Wesson and CEO of Beatrice in the late 80's. (Probably before most of you were born!) He always told me to go to "the top" and often practiced what he preached as a seasoned leader by answering the phone directly...I would like to talk directly to Marco again...Tomorrow night, do have a 30 minute time slot to speak my mind with, I assume some of the decision makers. At this moment, I need to rethink what I want to really say. I am SO disappointed that besides outlandish pricing for a "maybe or maybe not client" to receive a contact back from the possible client. THAT client has NO IDEA, he/she is, by contacting us, is an automatic draw from out credit card.

Now, tonight, had my first experience in trying to assess whether I want to take a chance and throw out a random price to a potential client...Cannot even put in NEED MORE INFORMATION. And, what a waste of MY TIME, in trying to figure out DO I or DO I not, as there is not enough information to give a reasonable quote. My mantra continues to be "WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN and BUDGET? I have written this before, that Martha Stewart, who I worked for in the early days, talked about the importance of knowing a budget...and she is a pretty sharp cookie. We need to KNOW a prospective client's calculated budget as best as they can offer it, instead of our guessing.

Helping us to get more customers? No Marcus. This new way of change is not to benefit us loyal pros; it inhibits us and we should be your first priority. It is very evident WHO makes money here and it is not us. There is something so very wrong here. I hope you make it right.

If anyone would like to send me some consolidated "wisdom" with bullets, please do so now. I have my assistant here tomorrow to help me put together this opportunity to express not only my thoughts but yours, too with hopefully some decision makers who will listen!

Chef Zacki

Moderator Meckell

Hi @CMartinez2018 you're frustrated with the changes, and that's okay. I'm happy you're sharing your concerns. One thing I wanted to address is that we changed the way customers receive pro's info in efforts to make the hiring and decision-making process easier for them. They told us they wanted a price and a profile, so that's what we gave them. When it's easier for customers, there's more of a chance they'll hire a pro. We want pros to find success and we're always keeping that in mind. 

0 Kudos

It's clear you are being told the same things in your meetings because when I've used your support line to vent, I once cared, I was told the exact same thing you're trying to sell here. The problem the explanations do not add up in the least.  You are just either ignoring the problem or choosing to view it as not a problem. There will always be more first-year Pro's to milk money from because they will not know the difference. 

What's tough for MANY of us responding, if you bother to read, is we once had a mutually beneficial environment. Beneficial for everyone including the prospects. Read some of OUR PRO reviews from the prospects you are so concerned about now. Everyone was happy. That you guys ignore that and offer poorly constructed answers is just sad. 

ChefZacki
Level 6

AMEN!

Chef Zacki

JanDHM
Level 5

Hi Meckell, I understand how important it is to get short-sweet- to-the-point info in consumers' hands. But most business have a whole pricing structure based on the myriad factors that play a part in giving an accurate quote. You can't possibly send an instant answer that considers these factors for every business. I tried Instant Match for just a few days. The quotes it sent out on my behalf went something like this: 'Dale House Murals is interested in working with you, but needs more information in order to give you a quote. See their profile for more information.' I would not call this a time saver or a very inviting message, would you? And the result is that pros are leaving Thumbtack in droves. I used to have several competitors and now I've noticed hardly any. Yet I'm getting fewer responses to my quotes than ever and I'm getting a bit discouraged. 

So....here's my solution for what I believe would solve at least some of the issues for my industry.

#1 Let us customize our own basic quote template for Instant Match. Then make Instant Match free unless we are contacted.

#2 Let us filter out anything that is outside the realm of what we can do; expand the filters to include tags preceeded by the word 'not' so that people who want what we can't give them will not get a quote from us.

#3 Require people who say "I have an idea of what I want" to describe what their idea is.

#4 Go back to limiting how many pros can quote. The point is that people will get quotes right? If a pro passes on it, that only opens it up for another quote to be sent, right? 

I still think this thing can be pulled out of the fire...but it cannot happen until Thumbtack decides that it overreached and will bring about its own downfall if it does not adjust. Fast is only so good as the thing that is delivered. It doesn't matter how fast you deliver a pizza if the thing is undercooked.