Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 6
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Make pro pricing and rates more upfront for customers
topic id 24883: Filtering out customers with certain budgets based on pro preferences
Trevor
Community Regular

A Message From Thumbtack Pros

So, as you've noticed, we've been making a lot of compaints.  Some of us have been complaining for years and we recognized that our harsh words do not come easy. But here's why we're doing it. It's about making you a better company. 

You may not know this (condescending voice), but us pros work VERY hard to keep our businesses going and it comes down to this, when professionals are taken advantage of by Thumbtack, they leave. Some do stay, but a LOT leave. And we are your drones.  That is money that should be in your pocket (well lets be real, it still is because with every pro that leaves the prices go up to acommodate).  So we realized we had to leave for a newer and better Thumbtack (called Bark). One that works in the way professionals expect. They want to be treated fairly and spoken to transparently, all the time.  Because when professionals can do that, they can grow their business and find value in your service. And that's NOT what you're focused on.

But I know it's a work in progress and we hear you when you tell us that it's not working well enough.  And there are a few changes coming down the pipe, like negative reviews and lost users. And, that's the end of the road. So keep asking for our feedback and then keep not using it. Because we know you want to make it work for YOU (first), for OUR customers (second) and for you again. Because you have no idea how important our business is to us...

Why don't you try going easier on pricing, while you figure out what works and what doesn't instead of going harder and destroying your relationship with the (I'm assuming declining or at the least plateaued) pros that feed you.

Moderator Meckell

Re: A Message From Thumbtack Pros

@Trevor I know that all of the complaints and feedback we get from you guys is coming from a good place. You guys care about your business’s and about Thumbtack. If you didn’t care, we wouldn’t be hearing anything, so we’ll take it. 
It never goes unnoticed how hard professionals work and the last thing we want you to feel is that you’re being taken advantage of.
Transparency has changed, specifically with pricing. We’ve started showing prices and now we’re working on the actual cost for each category in each area. It takes time, as all changes do. Keep the feedback coming because we do take it all into consideration.

0 Kudos
Trevor
Community Regular

Re: A Message From Thumbtack Pros

Appreciate the response. Logged in after reading it. Checked the price of a real estate photo gig in my area (what I do the most) and price went UP from what was already was overpriced. Went to close the browser and noticed I had an inbox message...from the one gig I've been able to book in the last month. To cancel. Beacuse they're "doing it themselves". STOP CHARGING ME FOR FAKE LEADS.

I offer my services cheap on this site and work with customers budgets and get even further crushed with your bogus quotes and then the transaction fee from digital payment apps and then taxes. I'm losing money.

Look at my website and tell me I'm not a talented photographer that should get business from this website.

http://trevorpopovitscreative.com/

Every interaction I have with Thumbtack frustrates me more and more.

LCJPCJINC
Community Regular

Re: A message from Marco

I am now seeing the same feeling from others who have been with y'all for as long if not more then me, especially the ones concerning paying for a quote or lead when the potential customer response with the pre written paragragh that you made for them so easily, and then when we respond to set things up, I never hear from them at all, tell you guys about it and now I'm hearing Marco and other employees say, "Yes we know it's upsetting and we know that when things change, IT'S OKAY!"  I always thought that when people actually respond to each other via live thru your web site, that you would know that we are chatting or responding to each other, oh wait thats right were being automated now, right???

Guys, I am one of those 49 years exp., in construction of being in the business, and at 62, still doing the same exact work that I have been doing since my 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and wait for it, 60's. I've been with y'all for over 4 or more years now. I agree with others that now it's a crap shoot to see if I can stay within a budget without my quotes from one job being $6 to now $15 because that's what other people, (with far less exp.), who have not been in this business are saying to the younger CEO that we can do ittt!!

My quote prices have been the same now for the last 4 years because everything I do, which is every thing, turns out to be great because no matter what they want, its a professional job, well done. Now some of the jobs I'm quoting on now have over 10 different quotes and so far some of my new customers, have told me that they wished they knew about me before they hired that first or second or even the 3rd or 4th guy or company that they hired from thumbtack, but they figured the ones down on the list were not good. Flash news for ya Marcos, your thinking inside a box that is outside the circle. Your telling us the fastest gets more money when I'm being told that my new customers who have used thumbtack before, loved the way that the response came in, but over 75% did not like the job or had to tell them to quit, or even had to let them finish because the contractor will put a lien on there house and they won't be able to do any work until there even or done with the job. Some have gotten a hold of me even after the job is a week to a month old, asking if they can get rid of this contractor, would I come and fix things. Of course I tell them, let me start my work, and when they come to threaten again, they can talk to me, and since I know the law better then they do, most of the time, they do not do anything else because I tell them take me to court, my job now. Here in Texas, if you shake a hand that is actually a binding contract, but then if anybody deferes or does soething not right, when you go to file in court, unless its over a certain amount of money, it'll cost more then what there owed or have to pay.

Marcos, it seems to me, that I've tried doing quite a few different things in my life time and making money on the computers was once one of them, chef, office worker, and a few other managerial and non managerial positions, that I have always gone back to my first love, all phases of construction, and what your doing is trying to make money, and more money, and more money, and then telling us we can to by being the first to respond. Do you actually think, thumbtack is the only lead source out on there internet. I'm curious as to what your figures are about how many people contact thumbtack and use your site and say it was the fastest one who answered first is who I gave the job to.

I've been told that it was my profile, the yrs exp., and my pics of before and after, that they decided to go with me, the 4th or 5th person down the list and I responded in 10 hours or less. I still use the web site because Ive had some similar situations with some of the others as well, but y'all always seemed to listen to us little companies, but now that your trying to be a bigger one, well you think on it. I do apprciate y'all trying to help, but raising the quote prices, charging for quotes that are not following up with each other, yer forgetting the whole thing about everybody being here in the first place, we are all here to serve others first and foremost. Sure we are to make some money but I like it when I serve them and then they give a bonus because I kept my price where I said I would even when they added just a tiny bit more, or got done fast enough where they were happy to give gratitudes, either by word, or financial. Well enough said! Hope everyone has a very Blessed day.

LCJPCJINC
Community Regular

Hey Guys, I just sent this to support but lets see shall we!!! I have already declined but why am I getting anything that is outside my diameter, I think I have it set to 35 miles or maybe 50 but not 97, to me your system needs fixing along with everything else about your changes. Your CEO is not having the same VISIONS as all other contractors in construction according to what I'm seeing in the activity. When you guys always show a positive response, its always with photography, or weddings but nothing in construction.  Well I want to see things go back but I also want to see y'all eat your humble pie, or your gonna lose out. Ya know, it okay to admit things aren't right or you didn't think things out, but when you realize it, and turn back the clock a bit, you should get even more contractors, because your capable of changing as well, and you'd be listening to the right people, the ones who've been with you for awhile and the more experienced in running businesses, instead of listening to the ones who are saying its okay, they'll come around, when they've never lifted a hammer or done any of the consistent work that we've been doing, like myself, 49 years. Hmm 62 and still going strong, Houston strong!  So far Id say over 95% of the responses towards your CEO's vision is all negatives with us contractors, but since I did live in San Fran for awhile, and everything is much more expensive there then anywhere else, well you guys go read things and you tell everyone else  like your telling us, its okay, when we have totally told y'all that it isn't.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Hi @LCJPCJINC I looked into your account and I found out what's going on. If you go to your services and scroll down to the bottom, you'll see advanced settings. In your advanced settings, there's the option to "Suggest jobs near my travel area." That was turned on and that's why you were seeing requests and getting matched with jobs outside of your travel area. I went ahead and turned that off for you and double checked your travel preferences for each of your categories, they're all sent to 40 miles. If you have any other questions or concerns that you'd like to chat about, please send me a DM. I'm always happy to help in any way that I can. Have a great Labor Day weekend! 

0 Kudos
LCJPCJINC
Community Regular

And now I get an email stating that you took things out by editing my message because I have said what others have said put it in capital letters, and label it as inapproiate. Well so much for freedom of speech.
missyj09
Active Community Member

I got the same message, they practically deleted every key point I had made.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
missyj09
Active Community Member

What is funny is, they delete my key points out of the conversation but yet I keep getting these "great gab" badges for posting comments.  What good are the badges if the comments aren't read and acted upon.  

0 Kudos
Bryn
Community Regular

Jason,

We have not been asking why you are making the changes; we have been *telling you* that the "New Thumbtack" is a big fail for us pros.

Second, I already saw that video from Marco.  Quite a while ago.  Saying the same thing over and over doesn't make it true or change my mind.  It does make me realize that the leadership at Thumbtack is not mature enough to admit that they have made a big mistake.

It is quite clear that your "one goal" is *not* getting us more customers, it is getting more money for Thumbtack.

Finally, I couldn't care less about Marco's vision.  I didn't start using Thumbtack because of Marco's vision.  I started using it because it helped connect me to violin students.  I never even knew what Marco's name was

Y'all need to grow up and listen.