results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
GT456
Level 6

Stop letting so many Pros bid on a job!!

I have been with TT for a couple of years now; when I joined, TT only allowed FIVE pros to bid on a job.  Now, there can be upwards of 15 Pros!!  That's ridiculous.  It's overwhelming for the consumer, and a waste of money for the Pros.  Since they have changed to this system, I haven't gotten hired ONCE.  Not once.  I left TT for awhile, and recently came back to see if Thumbtack had gotten their heads out of the sand and started listening to us Pros; apparently not.

Who's in charge over there, anyway?

Re: Stop letting so many Pros bid on a job!!

All the positivity in the world isn't going to make up for having to pay $30 when a wedding photography client replies to my auto quote with a "quick reply" of "when can i call you?" or similar and then ignores all my followups. Lots of other folks complaining about this. Someone hitting a quick reply and then ignoring you is not a "valuable contact" and we should be refunded all the same as if they replied with "going with someone else, sorry". This needs to change, period. It's a total cop-out to not refund these worthless dead leads who are not even motivated enough to reply with "sorry, I have now changed my mind" or something.

Disregard my last message about paying $30 to be ignored, looks like the charge for a "non-reply" to a wedding photography quote is up to $45.

Had someone reply to my quote tonight with the "What's your availability" quick reply, which is a bit odd since I wouldn't have quoted on it unless I am available for their date. And of course guess what? No more replies! Getting ignored! I go over to the charges tab, and see $45 pending. This is just absolutely crazy. In what universe is this sort of practice supposed to pass for sustainable? 

Honestly I think this would work a LOT better if you just took away the "quick reply" suggestions becuase people are just tapping them and costing us money. Every single "non-lead" that I've asked to get refunded for (and denied) has started with a "quick reply" and then ignoring my responses. WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS! This is not a valuable contact. It's zero contact.

Maybe if a potential customer had to be bothered to at least type a real sentence using their own words this would stop being a problem.

100% agree. The auto-reply process is a waste of resources when the lead 95% of the time goes dark. TT surely has the data around that. In a small business, every penny counts. I simply can't gamble on a 1 in 15 chance to be contacted. Especially when that 1 contact, if you can call it that, has a high likelihood of not responding to your follow-up.  If this model is successful, I'd sure like to know for who.

I started this thread 12 pages ago with hopes that IF enough Pro's voiced their displeasure with the current system maybe there would be change. Decisions are being made with no consideration for customer retention ( Pro retention ). I just don't get it. 

missyj09
Level 6

They see everything, it's just not the right people seeing it.   I know they are seeing it, because I received a Message from Thumbtack that my comments violated their rules and were removed.  I used no profanities, was very businesslike and professional in my comments, but yet, because I called them out on their greed, they modified my comments to meet their standards.   The Mods are there to weather the storm, they can't do anything.   I have over 100 requests in my inbox and don't even bother looking at them anymore.  As you said, way too many pro's sending in bids and then getting ghosted after the initial contact.  When a person shops for a service, they don't get on the phone and call 15 people, meet with each and every one of them and get estimates.  They call 3-5 businesses, get an estimate, and go from there.   I put in a real request for black top repair and paving.  I got nothing back, an email saying there are no pros in my area, which I know is not true.  The prices and competition is ridiculous so pros aren't bidding anymore.    I also read something that made sense from another thread.  TT maybe trying to sell and may have a prospective buyer, which I'm guessing Amazon or Facebook if this is the direction. But in order to look more fruitful to a buyer, they are trying to get their revenue up.  Either way, until their bidding platform changes, all of those requests will just sit there in purgatory, unanswered.  Then this is what will happen, people will stop using thumbtack because they aren't getting any businesses to do business with.  RIP thumbtack. 

Highlighted
BradBaldwin
Level 6

@missyj09 wrote:

They see everything, it's just not the right people seeing it.   I know they are seeing it, because I received a Message from Thumbtack that my comments violated their rules and were removed.  I used no profanities, was very businesslike and professional in my comments, but yet, because I called them out on their greed, they modified my comments to meet their standards.   The Mods are there to weather the storm, they can't do anything.   I have over 100 requests in my inbox and don't even bother looking at them anymore.  As you said, way too many pro's sending in bids and then getting ghosted after the initial contact.  When a person shops for a service, they don't get on the phone and call 15 people, meet with each and every one of them and get estimates.  They call 3-5 businesses, get an estimate, and go from there.   I put in a real request for black top repair and paving.  I got nothing back, an email saying there are no pros in my area, which I know is not true.  The prices and competition is ridiculous so pros aren't bidding anymore.    I also read something that made sense from another thread.  TT maybe trying to sell and may have a prospective buyer, which I'm guessing Amazon or Facebook if this is the direction. But in order to look more fruitful to a buyer, they are trying to get their revenue up.  Either way, until their bidding platform changes, all of those requests will just sit there in purgatory, unanswered.  Then this is what will happen, people will stop using thumbtack because they aren't getting any businesses to do business with.  RIP thumbtack. 

I agree.

I now see DJ quotes can go as high as $45.  The times we live in...

Reb
Level 5

When I started this credits were $1.67  I think and it took fom 2 to 6 to quote. I had to make the effort to view quickly the request  as I have multiples specialties with state licensure. Now I do not see the request as before, now the same quote if I am contacted will cost from $31.65 to $75.00 since TT has been nice enough to let us see the cost now.   So if 5 Pros old system @$10.00 contact a customer TT=$50.00

New system: Customer 8 Pros to respond to @ $75.00   TT=$600.00

Quote for free. Pay for responses.

There's no charge if the customer doesn't respond or if the first response is just "no thanks."

You'll pay $75 if the customer responds.

DAEffSpec
Level 5

Re: A message from Marco

It's seriously too late for a lot of people to believe a word of that. We've just been blown off too many times. Good effort, but you've just not given people any reason to trust what you're saying

You say in your video "When a customer has to wait for a quote"

UM Dude, you dont even know who your customer is!!

It is not the person looking to hire, THAT IS ONE OF YOUR RESOURCES

The customer of Thumbtack is the pro PAYING for the lead.

Until you understand that you will be on a death spiral.

Your product is leads, not the work of the pros who pay for the lead.

And you have pretty much alienated most of us.

Kdcatering
Level 5

This in no way will get us more customers. Just make us leave thumbtack. I've been with you for several years and now I'm so disgusted with paying $60 for absolutely nothing. Customers don't respond to us when we followup or they ask a question that is clearly stated in our proposal. I feel $60. is a crazy expensive fee for a lead period! Our supossed customers are also paying the price because we won't bid a job that cost big $$. You're hurting your pros who in turn pay your bills. Go back to the credits or lose more pro's. Your choice! I'm not paying anymore.
Signed
A small business owner getting shafted.