Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Community Manager Drew
Community Manager

Introducing the new Pro Community manager!

Hi all,

My name is Drew and I’m proud to introduce myself as the new manager of the online Pro Community! I’m new to Thumbtack and beyond excited to join the amazing team of passionate individuals, dedicated to seeing you succeed. Before I turn my focus to the Community, I think it will be helpful for me to explain a bit about myself:

I come to Thumbtack after working in workforce development for nonprofit organizations. “Workforce development” is a jargony phrase that means eliminating barriers to work and connecting jobseekers to the tools and resources needed to be successful. Most recently, my work was focused on educating low income communities on how to succeed as independent workers. I most enjoy working with individuals who are striving for continuous improvement, which brings me back to why I’m excited to work with all of you!

This Community is unlike anything else that exists in terms of support, collaboration, and education. I love what is stands for and I’m blown away by the engagement it has generated in the last year-- its mere existence is evidence of how much Thumbtack cares about seeing Pros be successful. And I think there are opportunities for improvement.

It doesn’t take long to recognize that some of you are frustrated. As we get to know each other, my ask is that we strive to keep our conversations encouraging and solutions-focused. Please continue to offer your constructive criticism, as well as your best practices. Please share your struggles, and also your wins. But taking a moment to reflect on the impact your words will have and the way you frame a post can make all the difference. (Take a look at our Community Guidelines for a refresher.)

We are all a part of this Community and we all have a part to play. @Meckell, @Kameron and @DustiO do an incredible job of answering your questions, cheering on your successes, and championing your voices because at the end of the day we’re all on the same team. The Community can be the vehicle for you to reach your potential as a small business owner, and to help others do the same. It is proof that independent work doesn’t mean you’re alone.

Now, let’s get to work. I can’t wait to see all we accomplish together.

13 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: Introducing the new Pro Community manager!

Welcome @Drew! We're so happy to have you!

mm
Level 7

Welcome. First order if business I would suggest is stop banning pros who give honest, constructive criticism otherwise this community is useless.

Second, you really need to look at your review policy. It is non-sensical to ask for a review prior to being hired.

Good luck.

Agreed! I did not know this new policy was implemented until recently. After explaining this awkward happenstance to a client who hired me, she told me she doesn't care about TT's messages. She only reads her emails and texts. Well, that is an interesting feedback from a client. I prefer to be in the driver's seat as far as contact with those that hire me. Why does TT even do this? It is unnecessary. I know how to ask for a good review; I have over 4 dozen of them here. there, and other platforms. It seems prudent to seriously consider not reporting any more hires. If they want to intercede on our behalf, TT can send them a reminder email directly after we bid.

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@Drew We are so excited to have you join our team. Together we can make great things happen!

What does a Community Manager do? How is this position different from a Moderator? Are there any other staff positions involved in this community?

Highlighted
Community Manager Drew
Community Manager

Great question, @ChefOfAllSeason .

My job is to get pros the tools and resources needed to be successful on Thumbtack and beyond. Sometimes that means communicating new product features and updates, and sometimes it means tapping into the wealth of pro knowledge.

Moderators are most often your main points of contact for questions and assistance. They do a great job of moving conversations towards solutions and they work tirelessly to resolve issues. 

You won’t hear from me too often but I’m always happy to chat about ways to improve the Community. And since you asked what I do, I’m happy to share:

Lately I’ve been working on building out a Community Calendar for the rest of the year. We want the Community to be always new, relevant, and insightful. If I’m doing my job well you should want to visit the Community because it moves the needle for your business! 

If you have ideas on what we should include in the future to help you be more successful, please let me know! 

Unfortunately, I do not get to implement changes to the platform.  Those decisions are out of my hands and I hope you can appreciate that. However, you might be surprised how much your feedback is considered, discussed, and relayed to the appropriate parties. I’ve learned implementing changes is not always a fast process so I appreciate your patience and trust in us that we’re working on your behalf.

I hope this answers your question and I’m glad you’re here!

Drew

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

Hi @Drew 

Just curious, what software development methodologies are used at TT?  So many times it feels like your developers are hindered by a huge complicated system such that change is really hard to implement. The changes we have seen lately are cosmetic or very minor in nature since the massive change that was made late last year. Just wondering if you or someone could shed some light on why change takes so long as I know there are lots of pros here who would be interested.

I used to work for a major airline (one of the world's largest ) and was involved in their .com and app development projects and it was amazing how fast an enhancement could be rolled out using the development methodologies that were in place there, so I have seen first hand an extremely complicated system from the inside and, like I said, was amazed at how quickly a new app function could be added or changed.. a lot of it had to do with really good change management and issue tracking. Can you shed some insight on that? Dont worry if you get technical - you'd be surprised at how many of us will understand Smiley Happy

Community Manager Drew
Community Manager

Hi @MR,

I’m happy to discuss anything related to the Community. Software development methodologies isn’t my sweet spot and the topic isn’t exactly relevant to the Community.... but I think your question, “why does change take so long?” is a good one, and I’d be happy to dig deeper and get back to you with a full response. 

Give me a week or two, sound good?

In the meantime, can you share more about your journey from app development to law? Have you changed careers or was your role realted to law for the airline as well? What lessons have you learned along the way that others might benefit from?

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

Hi @Drew   Thank you for the response and we look forward to whatever information that you can provide regarding the development methodologies and reasons for the extremely long lead times between concept to promote.

Regarding my story, although an interesting one, I will save posting it here for another day as there are many critical issues being discussed at the moment and I do not want to distract the discussions regarding pro suggestions for enhancement and fixes to the system. That, to me is where the current priority lies.