Let's talk about your profile

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
36 491 8,905

Hey! I’m Carson, and I’m the Product Manager responsible for profiles.

At Thumbtack, we’re always working to help you get hired more. Using your Thumbtack profile to showcase your business and the quality service you provide is one of the best tools you have in your toolbelt.

You told us it’s important to highlight what sets your business apart, and we heard you! Here’s a glimpse at some of the upcoming features you can expect to see on your profile:

• Soon, you’ll be able to highlight past projects, link to social media, and display your past and current Top Pro status. You’ll also be able to tell customers the payment methods you accept so they know what to expect at the end of the project. These changes help customers get an even better sense of your style and what it’s like to work with you.
  • We’ll be improving the way images and reviews appear so you can be confident in what customers see when they visit your profile. Our goal is to give you the chance to put your best foot forward.
  • As we go, we’ll make improvements to how you visually display your work and tell your story on your profile. You’ll have the opportunity to customize what’s included in your service and show off your credentials and awards. Ultimately, we want your Thumbtack profile to be your go-to online identity for your business.

We’re working hard to get there. But we want to hear from you.  

What features would you like to see in your profile? And what questions do you have about the features above?

Share your thoughts and ideas below. I’m excited to hear them!

491 responses
Community Newcomer

My name is Eric M. Brown. I am a math tutor with a college degree in math and a sum total of thirteen years experience in tutoring secondary and college math. I have expertise in tutoring secondary and college math. I love to tutor math and see students gain the math knowledge necessary to succeed in their math courses. I put emphasis on mathematical theory and in tutoring I exhibit precision, clarity, and most of all patience. No question is stupid and no student is stupid. Frequent repetition and further explanation of mathematical theorems and definitions are necessary.

Community Newcomer
Id like there to be an option to select ALL photos to delete. There was some sort of glitch and it uploaded the same photo 1000 times!!!
Community Regular
How about attaching the pro's profile to the bid, then customers can see straight away who they have available for their work.
Community Newcomer

We want our clients to know our simple philosophy....Execeptional Ingredients/ Meticulous Execution

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @CDunbar that was an intense glitch. Did it happen again? If so, send me a Private Message with your account email address and I can get those deleted for you. Great suggestion by the way! 

Community Newcomer
I wish u"all have people in customer service who spick spanish i just have i hard time sometimes to communicate
Community Regular
Love to be able to show videos and photos of my work.
Community Newcomer

HI Carson... Thanks for the opportunity to post a few ideas. As a 35 + yr Pro Photogrpaher, it would be most helpful to have the option/ability to match images from a shoot, with the review that the client left after a successful project. Perhaps a link to a Gallery or to a Video clip if it was a motion project ( I would prefer a stand alone clip, not just a link to YouTube or Vimeo). My site, www.timothyshonnard.com is a good example.  Also, as you mentioned, increasing the options on how we present our imagery in our Profile would help as well. This could cross over into many categories, depending on how each individual likes to market themselves.

TT is a great platform, and has been a strong success for me over the last 4 years. I look forward to the future.

Cheers!

Timothy

Community Newcomer
I'd like direct text, just as a client can leave there number after submitting quote, maybe we can have an automatic reoky that sends our # in text reply to make the contact easier
Community Newcomer
Having 2 separate businesses, I’d love to be able to have separate photos on my profiles.

Currently, if I change the photo on 1 Business, it automatically makes that the photo for the other business.

I had a budget of $500 plus per month towards credits until that happened.
Community Regular

I would love to see an option of listing different hours and/or availabilities for different days of the week. Right now I'm displaying the same business hours for all days. Also I think being able to update our availability for each week day would be helpful to narrow down the number of profiles sent to customers - I believe it would be more helpful and efficient for both pros and customers. 

Community Regular

Would be nice to link to several different portfolio sites, not just to one of each type listed in Thumbtack.

Maybe the Thumbtack images could be divided into albums: Wedding, Architectural, etc. That way, potential clients would see just the photos they are interested in.

Community Regular

I offer multiple services: portrait art, illustration, face painting, special effects makeup, etc. I would love a way to split these services (and their relative photos) out so that a potential client only needs to click on the service heading to see all related info as opposed to having to weed through everything to find the information that pertains to them. It would be especially helpful to be able to organize my gallery in a useful way. 

One other thing that would be helpful is if we could upload or link to documents. I have a guide on how to commission artwork and a document on what to expect when working with me. I'd love to be able to share these and sample contracts with my potential clients so they know what to expect and can see that I run my business professionally.

Community Regular

I find it cumbersome and counterproductive to have different profiles for different services.

I offer coaching, and I offer training and motivational speaking.
I now have 2 profiles to do this.

Also the coaching leaves SO MUCH to be desired. I offer leadership coaching, transoformational coaching etc. 

When clients are not forces to descrive the project or problem - it is almost impossible for me to quote.  Maybe categories can be better detailed? Maybe people see profiles more easily before we have to quote?  I tried the matching service and it did not help me at all.  As a speaker it does not allow me to be matched easily - it asks for a corporate fee vs a different fee. My speaking fees vary on customer, length - so many factors. Gosh - there is a lot I could say. There is potential for Thumbtack to do great things for clients and vendors - just not sure the way matching is and profiles go - it is something I find as useful as I had hoped.

Community Regular
I agree! I offer four services here, wedding offiating, wedding music, piano tuning, and speaking for conferences, etc. Difficult to create one bio for all of those.
Community Newcomer
I’d like to see insurance and bonding have a spot of prominence to demonstrate that you’re legitimate.
Active Community Member

I agree with this.  I am available during workday evenings and all day on weekends, but there is no way to show that.

Community Regular

This is already available. I have a full portfolio on my profile. Not sure if maybe it's only available for certain services?

Community Newcomer

Sounds great, I look forward to the profile update. Thanks for listening to us and making positive changes to an already great service.

Best,

Daniel
DPStudiosNJ

Community Newcomer

I would like the ability to say that my business is national or global, by having that feature in the "range" drop down menu.

Right now the range only allows up to 150 miles radius, so not only am I missing opportunities, but it's misleading, because I'm a mobile business who travels all over, but when people see the radius as 150 miles, they discount my availability

thanks!

Community Newcomer

Good idea Bob.... client request specific only viewing their target request.

Tim

Community Newcomer

I want able do albums and project galery where I can do separetly all diffent rooms pictures!

Now is evrething mixed with no sence ! Please look how Houzz organize their website )))!

It will be great if every profecionals can do their galery albums!

Thanks

Community Newcomer

I definitley would like to see emphasis on how many times I have been Top Pro throughout the years.

Also reviews in profile.

Also that I do remote computer work as well as drop off or on site.

Community Regular

Since you asked, I would like to be able to display my company logo along with my photo at the top of my profile.  I use that logo on all my print adds, vehicle markings, brochures etc. and it would be great to add it here. 

Community Newcomer
Being a mobile bartending service it would be nice to have the option to customize our profile backgrounds. I know this may seem trivial but with all the competition it would be nice to have that opportunity to allow yourself to stand out. Also wish the pictures could be bigger on our profiles as this is how we get booked. Just some ideas.
Community Regular

This all sound great, 

I would like to see a banner or button we can add to our personal web pages and social media to point people back to thumbtack as well. Something that would require us to verifiy who we are and samples of images to be Thumbtack Approved. 

Also, seems hard for me to get reviews here. My last one I was hired as a single shooter for 6 hours, I brought a second shooter and we stayed 8 hours total, gave them every chance to get all the family photos they wanted, but they had people not ready and things moved on. I was given a 4 star rating after delivering over 1200 photos all edited. Woudl be good to see a way to add a comment to the reviews, or have a retraction option for unreasonable clients. 

-Michael 

Community Newcomer

It would be awesome if those offering writing services could upload pieces of written work such as a PDF/word doc that can enhance examples of previous works.

Community Newcomer
This!!! This was my biggest issue!!!
Community Regular
I’d love a 10-15 second video option. Maybe something like the profile video allowed on Facebook? 😍
Community Newcomer

I would like to see better organization of the media area fo the profile.  Include albums where images, videos, etc can be better organized.   Additionally it would be great to include areas in which the business can highlight some of their accolades, certifications and publications.  We have been involved in a number of different industry articles/magazines and this would be ideal to highlight on our profile.   In our business (wedding), it is important to highlight our process so potential customers (who are often unsure) know the process to get started with us as well as what comes next.  

Community Newcomer

I would like to be able to control what customers see when it does the automatic quotes.  I want to see what they see rather than to have go login as a customer to see their view. 

Community Newcomer
I wish that my profile could also include other social media that I showcase my work on after I’ve been contacted and showcase more of a professional site. Maybe able to customize a little bit. I don’t think all the questions are necessary thank you
Community Newcomer

I wish that my profile could somehow bring people to me, giving them the ability to knock on my virutual door. I could then respond and let potential clients know if I am available to do the job. If I am available, we could then discuss price. 

Active Community Member

Only posting this so I can stop all the email updates.

Community Newcomer

It would be great if there was a place to put a short video highlighting the work we do.

thanks for listening. 

TackMaster
TackMaster
Having a profile intro video or video being played in the background as a cover would look more attractive. It’s essentially taking facebook’s profile cover video multiple steps further to make profiles a little bit more unique. I also think the videos should also be native to the site rather than outsourcing Vimeo or YouTube to make the experience more seamless.
Community Newcomer

Carson:

Thanks for the heads up. ThumbTack keeps improving its service, so I look forward to seeing how this new showcase will work. My suggestion is to role it out first, then have pros like myself critique it. My only suggestion is to make it AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE with lots of check-the-box options, etc.--nothing complicated, or it won't get used. Good luck, and look forward to seeing the "new" ThumbTack.

Community Regular

Since introducing the new way possible clients see us in these lists. Perhaps placing the Top Pro's at the top of those lists to show their radius and availability, as they would be more likely to click on them for hire. Maybe a filter system would work too. As I see the list is shown at random of Pros within the area for the customer. Maybe have advanced search categories with this new search option for the client. 

Community Newcomer
I think what you are doing is a great idea As for me I would like to empathize my experience and the fact I have worked with people from all kinds of backgrounds
in a variety of situations
Community Newcomer

I think there should be an option to sync reviews from external sources so that customers can see you have a track record even though you're new to Thumbtack. 

Community Newcomer

I would like to have the ability to link them to my website for detailed images.  Also, a tracker of who went to website.  

Community Regular

I'd suggest that you include a graphical calendar in a prominent position on the opening window. I'm very tired of paying $16 for inquiries that ask "Are you available on my date?"

Community Newcomer
I like those ideas. Especially linking to past projects and social media links. It would be great if we can be found by a specific specialty within the Personal Trainer field.
Community Regular

1)I'd love my profile to show how many years in a row I've been awarded TOP PRO status. Maybe add a special status if I'm the #1 rated provider countrywide in my industry?

2)I would also like my profile to import 'average' star ratings from social media sites for added social proof.  

3)Add a way to show prospects that your company offers a "free trial", "free consultation". 

Thanks guys! 

Community Regular

I would like to see google calendar integration, and google review integration  

Community Newcomer

For me as a designer and photographer, all my work is visual so I think my examples should be shown at the top compared to the reviews and questions. Maybe profiles can look different for different jobs. 

Community Regular

I need to show people that I work on weekends to accomodate their schedules.  The number of leads I currently get is not enough to offset the cost of subscribing.  Until then, I really need the free option you used to have.

Community Newcomer
Photos videos should be displayed better. It should look like a mini website and more attractive looks to plain. I would want a area to show off awards like my best of 2015 best of 2016 and my top pro 2018. I want to be able to link my Instagram and Facebook to the page like I did with my website. Sales is all about presentation so it all should tie in and look better. I want to be able to show off my thumbtack profile.
Community Regular

In my industry, a few things are important to know from my perspective.

1. I don't take insurance for therapy sessions. Therefore, is there a way to let the customer know this? I mean not even see the request if they are unwilling to pay out of pocket? I spend a lot of money on bids for people who want to use insurance for payment.

2. I ethically cannot ask for referrals. In fact, bringing this up during a session is a violation of ethics. I do appreciate them when I get them but seems a little frustrating to be ranked against others who might ask for referrals.

3. I would love a way to integrate the appointment booking with square appointments.

4. I would love a way to understand the client's request further. For instance, it would be great if I knew where they were in their planning stages. Just looking for a friend, ready to hire, looking for a new therapist etc.

Thank you for allowing me to submit my opinion.

Shannon, "The Mental Mediator"

shannon@mentalmediator.com

Community Newcomer

they should predominately display the top pro badges on the profile page. right now they dont- they only give you widgets to put on your website. i dont have a website. thats what i count on thumbtack for. should be like a website..... video samples should also be more predominate and easy to get to.