Let's talk about your profile

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
36 491 38.1K

Hey! I’m Carson, and I’m the Product Manager responsible for profiles.

At Thumbtack, we’re always working to help you get hired more. Using your Thumbtack profile to showcase your business and the quality service you provide is one of the best tools you have in your toolbelt.

You told us it’s important to highlight what sets your business apart, and we heard you! Here’s a glimpse at some of the upcoming features you can expect to see on your profile:

• Soon, you’ll be able to highlight past projects, link to social media, and display your past and current Top Pro status. You’ll also be able to tell customers the payment methods you accept so they know what to expect at the end of the project. These changes help customers get an even better sense of your style and what it’s like to work with you.
  • We’ll be improving the way images and reviews appear so you can be confident in what customers see when they visit your profile. Our goal is to give you the chance to put your best foot forward.
  • As we go, we’ll make improvements to how you visually display your work and tell your story on your profile. You’ll have the opportunity to customize what’s included in your service and show off your credentials and awards. Ultimately, we want your Thumbtack profile to be your go-to online identity for your business.

We’re working hard to get there. But we want to hear from you.  

What features would you like to see in your profile? And what questions do you have about the features above?

Share your thoughts and ideas below. I’m excited to hear them!

491 responses
Community Regular

I am fairly happy with Thumbtack. I would, however, like to submit things to concider for my particular profession. I do would not expect you to have in depth knowledge for every field. There are several types of CPR certification. BLS CPR/AED, Pediatric CPR/first aid, CPR and first aid, firat aid, ACLS, BLS, PALS and Heartsaver CPR. All have diferenence in price, qualifications, licensing and legalities. As the format used now, every request says, CPR and first aid. I am spending money to find out exactly what they need, only to fined out that I have under charged, or did not get the bid because I over charged. If I can be of any help in the future, please let me know.

Community Regular

1)  So if Thumbtack can take photos off for one person...why not let the rest of us know how to do it? Post the solution in  "FAQs for Professionals"

2) Why does TT allow potential clients so much time to choose someone?  There are times when I've bid on more than one project, then ...waited....and waited...only to have  more than one contact me. Why not create a "YES, NO, I'm consdering XXXXXXX Doe" as part of their due diligence so we will know more quickly and not over bid on the projects available?

Community Newcomer

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it easier to move photos around! Just being able to drag & drop them in place would save a ton of time and allow the profile to look better. Also show them to client in a more profile grid like IG.. This silly long strip of images is outdated.

Community Newcomer
Let is list our exclusives like BBB Membership, how many years established in the local community
Why a local contractor can respond quicker and better than out of town sub contractor
Community Newcomer

One important thing, find a way for Google to use our reviews! I have 63 5 star reviews here and 5 on Google. If you could share reviews on Google that would be HUGE

Community Newcomer
Yes I agree and feel the same way...,,
Community Regular
It seems crazy that the only way to upload video is from my phone or computer(!) Why not join the 21st century and allow us to upload by way of a Youtube channel link -?
Community Regular
Hi,
There are few things I’d love to see my clients before they even reply to my quote:
-a personal note, or have a template, that is sent out along with Insta Match that would have a little bit of intro to my clients, and a price breakdown.
-a possibility to link my Instagram or other accounts to my profile so they can see my work.

Community Newcomer

I wish I could reach out to more people, but - in all honesty - do not want to pay for it by having to use credits.

Community Regular

Hi, 

Thank you for bringing this up. I've been waiting for this opportunity for so long to tell someone about the display of the ratings on my profile. I have 40+ positive reviews, but only one 1 star review due to a contractor who took the homeowner's money and was trying to find an excuse so he did not have to pay me...etc. Anyways, it has been displayed on top of the page no matter how many other 5 stars posted, it did not get pushed down. A lot of my clients commented about that one experience and showed sympathy but why... ? 

I have been trying hard to build a strong profile for myself but that one star is really extremely annoying. It just ruins all the effort. Please consider my request. Thanks
Andy

Active Community Member

I would like to be able to add my IIRCR certification for carpet cleaning to my profiel. I'd also like to see you guys highlight Veteran owned businessess.

Community Regular
I would like to be able to upload videos of past events. I would like to know what I’m paying for each vid I send. I’m pretty sure their are other pros that are paying probably less. And it doest make sense for another to pay more. Lastly the availability part has to be change. I’m not available during the week morning but I’m available in the evenings. Or if you go out of town have the option to let customers know you will be gone. Its a waist of my money and the customer time. I get mad when a customer send me a message if I’m available just to tell them I can’t. I get charge only if the customer answers to my quote that system sends out. Thanks for letting us give our opinion.
Community Regular
I agree. I have one (1) review verified and 21 5 star. Why cant there be some way negative reviews are challenged against the majority. Thumbtack took down the review but my comment and the rating is still there
Community Newcomer
Well if it could allow the customer to get back to u faster
Give options on price per person
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there @bobd2359. As of right now, there isn't an option for pros to remove all photos at once. If you're experiencing the same glitch where 1000 photos were uploaded, we'll get them removed for you. Just send me a PM with your email address. 

Community Newcomer

I'd like an option to show not only how long your last business has been open, but how many years of relevant experience you have.  My profile shows me as having been in business for 2 years, but I have been practicing in my field for over 11 (at other businesses before I broke off and started my own thing), and the 2 years may make some potential clients think I am a novice.

Community Newcomer

True professionals have their own website that is rigorously maintained to contain important information that potential clients need to know before choosing us. To duplicate that information on any other site is unweildy and usually impossible. It would be beneficial for all concerned if potential clients were encouraged to visit our professional business site before deciding so that they don't assume that Thumbtack is our business site. Thumbtack is a facilitator site and potential clients should be able to easily tell the difference you and our biz site. Also, most professionals have their reviews on their biz site and are not going to ask clients to post reviews somewhere else.

Your Q&A has the right idea, but we should be allowed to modify your suggested questions to fit our niche or circumstances. We should also have the option of directing them to our biz site, which likely has its own FAQ page, anyway. 

In other words, two-way transparencty and flexibility for the sake of all three parties: you, us, and the client. 

Community Newcomer

There is only 1 thing I require  from your service. The clients/requestor's phone number. I have a 85% booking rate if I get the clients/requestors on the phone. Make a contact phone number a requirement for requesting services.  Changing my profile is not going to help get me more business.

Community Regular
I would for my profile to be sent with my quote to a potential customer!
Community Regular

Would love it if the customers had to include a phone number with the project request. The rate at which I connect at least once with potential clients on other marketing platforms when I have the clients' phone numbers is astronomical compared to Thumbtack.

Love the platform here, but we need a better ability to reach potential clients.

Community Newcomer

Hey Carson, first of all, so excited about these upcoming improvements!

As an artist on Thumbtack, of course my first thought is the visual first-impression that customers get from Pros' profiles. I think that the current photo display of work samples available to us is decent, but still, I always urge customers to check out my work on my portfolio site, not on my profile. To streamline this and provide better first impressions, I wonder if there's a way to borrow design elements from the likes of portfolio websites: bigger, higher-res images; not constraining images of different dimensions to all the same thumbnail size; or even (dreaming big here) allowing Pros to select from several visual templates so as to choose the best display for their particular set of work-sample images. While I mainly quote for Illustration and Embroidery projects, I think this could be beneficial for all industries. Wouldn't it be great if customers could get excited about the profiles of Thumbtack professionals, even if they're looking to hire a cleaner or a yoga instructor, the same way folks get sucked into a Pinterest board or a feed of inspiring images on Instagram? 

Cheers!
Kit Collins

Community Newcomer
I would just like my profile to work. My thumbtack account hasn't worked in over 3 months and no one seems interested in resolving. I'm a top pro, but clearly that has no weight. I've worked with the help desk as well as a pro manager and no one seems to know (or care) how to fix. Disappointed in you thumbtack.
Community Newcomer

I think options to make the profile maintain itself would make sense.  I haven't touched mine in quite a while because I honestly don't think do to so. 

-An option for an Instagram photo stream would be nice.  The code exists already as IG widgets are all over the web, though you could improve upon it by not just showing the whole feed for the Pro's IG user account, but also allowing them to filter only certain #tags from their feed (e.g. - #TT, #ttprofile, etc.)

-Other social platforms might be more difficult, but TT could parse business description text from, for instance, a Facebook business page in order to show updated text regularly, updated hours, etc.  

I guess I really don't want more options, I just want less maintenance and upkeep.  Ease of use and integration are key.

Community Regular
My contractor license wont show as verified.. I don't know why. It's hard to edit and get it varified. Also pictures are hard to upload 1 by 1 would be nice to be able to add multiple at once.
Community Regular

Here are the profile revisions I would like most! Thanks!

1. Ability to have video/photo as large thumbnails at the top of the page instead of small thumbnails at the bottom of the page. Video and photo are a big selling tool. 

2. Ability to highlight or pin 1-3 reviews of my choice to the top of the reviews section. It's always nice to have your best review the first one they read 🙂

Thank you for all you do!

-Tyler

Community Newcomer

Profile should be able to show a highlight or video of you addressing your potential customers. Something to give them an idea of your personality and how you do your business.

It should also highlight your most popular/favorite work, your website, top-rated reviews from past clients, and how many times you’ve been hired on Thumbtack.

Community Newcomer

Would really love a big blue "call now" button as the first thing they see in our profile to help leads get connected with us faster. The best way for us to close is to get on the phone with them and build that relationship. 

I would also like to see a place they can ask us questions... like a "pop up" that would ask them... "are there any questions you have for Clickable Impact?" which would ping us immediately with their phone number so we can call them back. A live chat while they are looking at our profile would be great to try too... I have 5 sales reps that currently use Thumtack around the clock. 

Community Regular
Agree...if you dont leave your phone number how serious are you.
Community Newcomer

Hi Carson - 

Thank you again for working to support your Pro Community. I was very honored to just be interviewed as a Top Pro and I asked if there was a place on your profile where you could showcase this great PR from Thumbtack and she said there was not. While I can put it in my quotes, it would also really be a boost to mine or anyone's brand that Thumbtack chose them - so having a place on your profile where either Thumbtack or any other organization or media featured you would be a an excellent addition. 

Many thanks, 

deb

Community Regular

Agreed about requiring a phone number. Or have an email and phone number field and at least require email so we can start a sales funnel going to them.

Community Regular
Yes phone number
Community Newcomer
It would be nice if the phone number was mandatory for customers looking for work a problem I have as an asphalt contractor is the texting back and forth one at a time obviously if a person want a job done more they will automatically put their phone number on however I found myself on Thumbtack checking with customers who have not got back with me ignoring which is fine if they don't want work done they don't want work done but I've been told in a couple of cases that their phone did not beep because their notifications was not on so they did not receive the message also instant match is kind of annoying I understand the thought but I find that I don't even realize when my match goes off then I look at my phone realize that it has and it looks like I have ignored a customer and someone else could swoop them up
Community Regular

I don't like the built-in responses for customers, such as, "What's your next availability?" and so forth. Many of them will simply respond the same message to every pro. A lot of times they'll ask an automated question that was already answered in my quote/profile. I've lost a lot of money from these kinds of customers. I believe the solution is to scrap the automated responses and allow the customer to respond in his/her own words. I feel this will filter out those who just want more information (even if it's already there) from those who genuinely want to work with us.

It would also be great to allow us to display our degrees/certifications that are relevant to the job. Not all certifications are available for selection. Moreover, my industry is poorly regulated as it is. Therefore, if Thumbtack could employ a verification process to filter out imposters, that would be gold!

Community Newcomer
Customizable outcall rate ($1 per mile, vs a flat fee) and customizable business hours (I don't have the same hours available every day!)
Community Newcomer
I would really like to see the option to be seen as local in different areas/states. I have a professional license in a few states but the options are either virtual across the U.S. or one state! This reduces my use of the app because I have to pass on several inquiries where the person is located in a state I am not licensed. This I am certain applies to other professionals who are licensed state by state.

Thank you!
Community Regular

Having the photos be placed at the top of the profile would be nice instead of a customer having to scroll down past reviews to see them.

Community Newcomer

I would like to see more interactive with my website and social media

Community Newcomer

If not attaching the profile, at least offering an option to link to the profile.

Community Regular
Same thing happended to me a few months back...had to delete each picture individually.
Community Newcomer
I personally would like to see something different for top pros profiles. We are the top 4% of thumbtack and we dont have any incentives as being top pros. I suggest doing some kind of award incentives for top pros such as free credits or being the first for customers with phone numbers listed. Something to motivate contractors more. As far as profile changes, i would like to see a better badge. Something in gold and shiny!!
Community Newcomer

I agree good idea!

Community Regular

I would like to be able to specify different hours for each day.

Community Regular

I'd like the freedom to be more creative in designing my profile. Like the ability to add a background picture or choose a different layout/format for how my profile is organized.

Community Newcomer

I would love to post my professional licenses and degrees. As an instructor it is important that clientele can see my qualifications. Only certain licenses can be posted, I have a ton of credentials but I don’t fall into general categories that are available. 

Community Regular

I'd like a more visually stunning display of my work/photos.  To me, that's what most people want to see anyways.  Maybe a slide option to easlily slide between before and after photos.  I'd also like to showoff my reviews in a big area on main page.  And of course, have my top pro badge displayed proudly front and center.  

Community Newcomer

Oh I am so excited y'all are updating the profile layout.  As a photographer I obviously like to update my images as I shoot throughout the year.  The process for uploading and re-arranging the images is a bit of a nightmare.  It takes a while to upload one image at a time, but then you have to move it up and swap it individually with the photo above it.  Since I want my current images first seen in my profile, this means I have to move an image up the ladder through 20 images.  I suggest having a grid system where you can drag and drop the images around. I use Squarespace for my professional website and its very user friendly and easy to rearange pictures.  I upadate my website at least once a week, but with your profile I only update it 3 or 4 times a year because it takes so long.  

I also think it would be cool if when a customer reads your quote, it would actually be a link to your profile page with the quote on top.  Ive noticed that sometimes the quotes are opened, but my profile is never clicked.  And the magic is in my imagary.  People hire me based on my beautiful skills and light hearted personality.   I am more than just the numbers they are seeing.   Make them look at my pictures.  Make them see what I do.    Or what if inside each quote was a mini-profile.  A super quick "Meet this Pro"  It could have our profile picture and 3 quick sample photos.   There just needs to be a better way to get the customer to click on all the profiles.   

I also liked it better when the customer only got 5 quotes.   The amount now is too much for the client and it makes the pro-s rates of sucess very less.  I think I have only booked one session since the switch over.  Sometimes I cant see how much a quote will cost IF the customer responds to it.   Since your rates have gone up its literally a mystery.   I dont typically bid on quotes over $20, its a roll of the dice to if the customer is even serious, and if they will respond.  Its too much money to just try every one.  But I sent a quote for a portrait session and I got my invoice a few days later saying the one quote I sent that month was around $23!  I didnt get the gig either.  I actually think you would make more money if you went back to the old way entirely.  The problem now is, is your pros are getting picky and stingy on what quotes they bid on.  Some, myself included, have had to use a few other sites to keep business steady.  When I lived in Chicago I made 90% of my income from Thumbtack!  I was just there for 6 months and I was addicted to you guys!  I had alerts on my phone and I booked protrait sessions in downtown all week long!  I booked a 2 weddings and 3 mini conferences!  It was actually the most sucessful Ive ever been as a freelance photographer.  It was the first time I didnt have to have a part time job.  Then things started changing by the time I moved back to Dallas, and then here in L.A. I barely keep in touch with you guys at all.   Obviously there are plenty of things on my end that have changed and grown as well.  But you should go back to the old way of doing things.  And charge only $5 every time you send a quote. A $5 sale for all levels and needs for photography, and only 5 pros can respond.  Just $5 for all quotes sent by all pros.   And if a customer doesnt like any of their quotes, fine, let them fill out another form.   $5 is not a big gamble.  Pretty much all levels of photoraphers can swing around $50 a month to get some new business.  I would absoulty be sending way more quotes than I am now if they were only $5.  

Community Newcomer

I would love the abilty to show different hours and availiblty different days!

Community Newcomer
I’d like to be able to add other certificates. For instance I have a teaching degree and certification specifically for my field and neither are options listed. My certifications are a critical part to my credibility that sets me apart from my competitors. Having an option to fill in other certificates would be great!
Community Newcomer
How about setting up custom hours for different days?
Community Newcomer

I don't like the new format it seems too impersonal. I think you should also link my profile to the quote ( I thought you did) so they can see me. I htink this is how I get jobs the most.