Let's talk about your profile

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
36 491 13.4K

Hey! I’m Carson, and I’m the Product Manager responsible for profiles.

At Thumbtack, we’re always working to help you get hired more. Using your Thumbtack profile to showcase your business and the quality service you provide is one of the best tools you have in your toolbelt.

You told us it’s important to highlight what sets your business apart, and we heard you! Here’s a glimpse at some of the upcoming features you can expect to see on your profile:

• Soon, you’ll be able to highlight past projects, link to social media, and display your past and current Top Pro status. You’ll also be able to tell customers the payment methods you accept so they know what to expect at the end of the project. These changes help customers get an even better sense of your style and what it’s like to work with you.
  • We’ll be improving the way images and reviews appear so you can be confident in what customers see when they visit your profile. Our goal is to give you the chance to put your best foot forward.
  • As we go, we’ll make improvements to how you visually display your work and tell your story on your profile. You’ll have the opportunity to customize what’s included in your service and show off your credentials and awards. Ultimately, we want your Thumbtack profile to be your go-to online identity for your business.

We’re working hard to get there. But we want to hear from you.  

What features would you like to see in your profile? And what questions do you have about the features above?

Share your thoughts and ideas below. I’m excited to hear them!

491 responses
Community Newcomer

i like put video not get in

Community Regular

I would like to be able to edit or remove my replies to my customer reviews. When I wrote my reply, I did not know it would be posted on my profile. Too often, they're personal; and, one or two times, I discovered a typo and could not correct it. Not good if part of your service is editing and "proofreading!"

Community Newcomer

I would like to list my major product in my profile so people can see prices without waiting for me to respond. Also, they should be able to calculate delivery fees based on the distance and a fee per mile.

Community Regular

I would like to see a change to the way my pricing is posted on my profile, I want to be able to customize my pricing, for instance I sometimes charge my travel fee based on the number of miles I have to drive at 44 1/2 cents a mile (This is set by state law)  and sometimes I simply charge a flat fee. I would like the ability to show this in my profile, the current method simply does not work for me, this results in the fact that I do not use instant match. 

Community Regular

The first thing that comes to mind is space for me to display my writing, which I also use as a teaching tool .Could I have a platform where I can have my students videos on their feedback about me for example?  Will I get the necessary tech support to complete these tasks I have in mind?  Thank You for your support.

C

Community Regular

While I have already reported this, too often I will take the time to draft a "bid" and attempt to send only to learn that the customer's project was either "canceled" or "expired" highlighted in a red box. Also, on other times after drafting and sending, I have learned the customer has "already received 5 pro contacts" highlighted in a white box when it did not show that number on the project posting.  PLEASE, if a customer's project is "cancelled" or "expired" or if he/she has already had 5 pro contacts, REMOVE that project! Thank you!

Community Newcomer

Need a link to be able to write our own review request that we send to a client. Not just the stock one.

Community Newcomer

The ability to customize our profiles is always a welcome thing. I'm all for that.

However, and I've whined and moaned about this before, I would really appreciate the ability to customize my quotes to customers. Rather than sending a "canned" profile introduction, I'd like to be able to address my customers personally with specific information tailored to them. Canned quotes aren't very effective, in my humble opinion.

Other than that--and it is a major problem for me at least--I'm quite happy with Thumbtack.

Community Newcomer
I wish there was a way for people to get some idea of what experts in our area make, perhaps a reasonable range so they can see that we are being fair and reasonable.

Perhaps links to information about those who do what we do could help with both remuneration and scope of our job.
Community Newcomer
Space for more photos
Community Newcomer

Would love to see the ability to imbed video directly into our responses.  Yes, customers can go back to our profile to see our vids, but so many don't take the time.  It would be very helpful to imbed videos directly so they can watch the video as they read our responses.

Just an idea.

Thanks!

Community Newcomer
It would be nice to have a 30sec or 1 Min Video for the Customer to look at On Our Profile???
Community Newcomer
There needs to be a way to address window shoppers that have zero intention of hiring a professional - the folks that post requests over and over that respond to pros thus costing them $ for the interaction but never intended to hire anyone can be a real money pit especially if we are auto responding to requests. I suggest some sort of required feedback loop in a specific time window like 72 hours where they hire a professional or the request is considered void as they hired no one.

It would also be great if pros could see if a user under a specific email address (since you must have one to register and put out a request) has put out requests in the past but hasn’t hired anyone. For example: “# of requests put out: 4” “# of hires: 0” this would allow us to more intelligently respond to people, for example, we could even have a setting in our profile where we opt to not respond to profiles that are new or have put out +5 requests without hiring a pro.

Social media linking would be a fantastic way to automate keeping our profiles up to date as adding pictures on 4 or 5 different platforms is time consuming and sometimes even difficult.

If there were some custom fields like text where we could do our own question + answer within our profiles, that would also be great.
Community Newcomer

I would like to see a change to the badging, specifically background checks. When applying voluntarily for the badge a month ago, I was denied due to what amounts to a speeding ticket from 2003 when I was 25 years old. I have no criminal history and a completely clean record otherwise. I have also worked in the Pentagon, NSA and countless secure environments as a contractor over the last 20 years, so it's almost laughable that I was denied a Background Check Badge from Thumbtack.......? It's especially frustrating when you have a page on the Thumbtack site that essentialy states "Check to make sure that you are hiring a contractor with our background check badge". It is the reason why I have yet to pay for any quotes. Thanks!

Community Newcomer

I think it would be nice to show Thumbtack reviews, Google reviews, Yelp Reviews, and Home Advisor reviews. Certainly pictures are important, but satisfied customer reviews would be a good thing.

Community Newcomer

Could you include video clips as well as multiple photos?

Video clips for massages would be very useful.

Community Newcomer
As a service provider, I would definitely like to have the option of having an schedule appointment button/option on profile where clients can simply schedule their appointment for a call out on profile.
Community Veteran

@Graceee@BarryKerr and others:

It's easy to unsubscribe from the emails.  Just click the three vertical dots in the top right corner of the thread, and click "Unsubscribe"

In the future, when you post to the Community, you can uncheck the box that says "Email me when someone replies," and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps!

Community Regular
I don't want any notifications from this discussions ,Can someone tell me how please
Community Newcomer
We should have video feeds to show potential customers our work in action.
Community Newcomer

Would like to see an option to add an instrumental music track (such as a midi file) to the profile for background music.

Community Newcomer

It used to be that we could see our pictures o our templates before clicking on them . It was easier to see which template had which pictures before I commintted to clicking on it.

Community Newcomer

want to get off of this thread; too many emails not relating to my question.

Community Regular
I think there should be a spot on Your profile that says **Because Thumbtack charges vendors per contact, please only reach out if you are seriously considering my services. I am more than willing to chat with you about how I can help make your day exceptional!***
Something like that, maybe not those exact words. Because so many potential clients will ask the “Are you available on my date” ( I am a Wedding Officiant) then you never hear back from them and still have to pay for them reaching out. It can get quite frustrating.
Thank you, Lynda
Community Newcomer

I think it is great to update the profile and spruce it up.  What I really need is better up front info from the customer as what they are really looking to accopmplish.  I am a Locksmith and I do not quote on anywhere near as many jobs as I could due to the lack of info provided by most customes.  If I quote "NA" and ask for more info, and they get back to me, I am charged the fee.  If the answers they give me preclude doing the job at all, I just lost the fee.  This is especially true with automotive quotes where the customer does not include the year, make and model of the vehicle.

Thumbtack is great but how about some sort of question list as part of the profile (questions come from the Pro) that the customer fills out so that we can give accurate quotes back in a timely fashion?  Every trade is different and every Pro knows what he needs from the customer to quote and should be involved in the questions that the customer initially has to answer to get the quote.

Community Newcomer
Please stop sending me all these emails as a result of my one time post.
Community Newcomer

I want my profile to show more of who I am. Maybe a separate area to show more about me as the individual to sell myself better to clients.

Community Regular

It will be great to have the opportunity to link more than one website or particular social media profile. For example, I'm a photographer but I have two different sites, one for boudoir, one for everything else. I'd like to be able to highlight both. I also have two separate Instagram accounts -- same reason. Also multiple addresses -- for example, my home address is listed on my profile, but my studio is somewhere else. It has confused customers in the past.

An option to upload a video introduction would also be cool. I know you can upload videos as work samples, but this is different.

With images, dragging and dropping to rearrange photos is an absolute must -- clicking a button to move an image up or down is maddening. A really nice feature would be the ability to group images into categories -- for those of us with a lot of images to show, it can help save customers time and see only what they want to see.

Hope this is helpful!

Community Newcomer

Have a highlighted section where each Thumbtack professional could tell potential clients what sets them apart or special features they offer.

Community Newcomer

Haha, I hope that is a typo, because I don't think anyone wants you to videotape their massage...

Community Newcomer
How about the option to write a weekly post with picture option to our profile page? The post (like a micro blog) would have a time limit (say 2 weeks) before expiring. Provide us push notification that the post will expire and to provide another post. Each post would be limited to word count—keeping the post short sweet and relevant.
Thanks,
John
Community Newcomer

I would like to see a much more robust organized gallery that is easy to manage/reorder/change ... etc.

I'd like to be able to send potential clients to specific album in a gallery.

Cheers
Jay

Community Newcomer
Post videos!
Community Newcomer
  • I think the section that should be at the top of my profile is the Questions and Answers section. I notice most clients are impressed when I have done my homework and ask them what frustrates you from learning. They don't expect me to care about them. I notice when I talk to my client they are very interested that I listen to them. My customers like it when I repeat there answers back and then tell them how I can accomodate their need or want.  (I like to think like the customer,  "Why should I hire you when there's all these other companies that might be lower priced." I find clients like to see my personality this is the only way we are different than most competitors. A lot of businesses are starting to price match & do other things to be competitive.  
  • I find there are so many different kinds of business industries and multiply that by the different licensing and credentials, and I think everyone is going to want to have the ability to custom each profile differently for each customer. I know people are thinking this is what quoting is for. However I know when you do instant match it doesn't allow more than 1 bid tempolate. Also I notice it charges us if a customer responds and we get a hold of them & they never get back to us. Also I get a lot of window shoppers that charge me a lot of money that aren't interested in lessons & don't make the final decisions. They don't even have an instrument but yet say they are ready for a lesson now, or they want to learn Bass & I only teach guitar. 
  • I like my profile to be different for each potential client bidding for a job.
  • I like the idea to highlight past projects
  • I like the fact to link to social media and display my past Top Pro status.
  • I like that we will be able to tell customers the payment methods I accept so they know what to expect at the end of the project. 
  • I think more videos need to be allowed since my business is guitar lessons, which image and sound quality are of the utmost importance. I think how reviews appear isn't that big of deal.
  • I like that you will feature our credentials and awards.
  • I think we should be able to show them our CDs that are out or other media or merchandise we have so they can see what it looks like and see our creativity.
Community Newcomer

Hello! I'd like to see a section that outlines how the process of hiring works. I get so many people asking me, "What do I do now?" Maybe it could be included on their end as well. A lot of the time they'll ask the question and then hire somebody else. I feel like I'm being used because I'm getting charged for the contact and not a meaningful one. I think the steps the customer needs to take should be spelled out. Maybe they are and I don't see it because I'm on the other side of things. Aside from that, I'm happy with the changes Thumbtack has made over the last year. I know it's mentioned in the email but I'm excited to have a place where we can showcase our recent work. I feel it's buried on the profile page. Thanks Carson for all your hard work in making Thumbtack a better platform!

Community Regular
This is what my biggest complaint is! ...i'm glad someone else had mentioned it!
Community Newcomer
At this moment I don't feel in a position where I can say what to change. I am just barely started on this website and so far I like it. So see in a few months
Community Regular

Carson P asked about state licenses.

In my field, my speciality, accounting and tax preparation, has a National Federal License.  It's called Enrolled Agent.  There are state licenses called CPAs, but a CPA does not necesssarily have a tax backgroujnhd and he / she may not prepare taxes.  (The University  curriculum usually has 1 only class in tax prepatration.)

There are (5 I think)  states (including Oregon and California) that have state licenses.

But I could not list my national "Enrolled Agent" license.

Community Newcomer
I would like to see the people that don’t fall into the general category’s ( like myself) to get looked at for what they REALLY DO. For instance I’m in the fitness industry but I don’t work as a personal trainer or a nutritionist. I’m certified to do both but, what I would like to let the public KNOW about my business is I do Metabolic and Body Composition testing. It falls into the fitness field but it’s a special niche that people have no way of knowing is out there under your current categories. I’m sure there are others who would agree.
Community Regular

I am a Handyman and I find that the profiles are suited to other business types. I would like to see more control and options given to us. It would be nice to have better control on the hours available, to link the calendar feature to our personal calendars like goggle calendar. A better photo system that offers more control to us and our needs. I would also like to be able to download costumer images that they send. Quote templates should be way more useful and prevalent. I use a template for every message almost. Add a way to post a national license like an EPA license; currently we can only add state licenses. I would like to be able to have my company logo and a head shot on my profile. Help us brand our businesses more. Also present the profile in a way that the customer does not have to scroll to find things because they won't.

I have many more ideas on how to improve Thumbtack so that it works better for the contractor and would love to talk with someone about my ideas. Thank you for the opportunity.

Community Newcomer

I would like possible students to know. I have been teaching for over 40 years both guitar and electric bass. That I teach all levels from beginners to professionals. I am a published author on books on guitar harmony, theory and improvisation. I am a recording artist. And I would like them to know I have icredible reviews and I have been Top Pro, four years running

Community Newcomer

It would be great if we could add tags that would be helpful to our profession instead of the pre-set tags that are offered.  It would also be great if there could be an organizing category as a stand alone category.

Community Newcomer
I would like my Top Pro badge front and center on my profile.
Community Regular
I am a pet sitter, and competition can be fierce. Ha ha. It does help to be able to present yourself to potential customers as a person as well as service provider. Hopefully, you will include a place where we can tell why we do what we do. Thanks for letting me comment. Laura C
Community Newcomer

We would like a mechanism to start a group class.  Contact prospective clients to take a group class on Facebook Live, or Skype.   WEbinar style.  How to market that.  A perfect example are the dozens and even hundreds of people who wanted nutrition guidance.  Personal Training for a large group can be done, we just don't know how to manage our Thumbtack to do this,

Community Newcomer

Our picture should be bigger. We should be able to have a background picture. Think facebook or any other professional social media website.

...Speaking of social media, we should have the ability to have integrated social media (FB, IG, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn) icons/buttons.

The profiles should be a lot more interactive, especially adding chatting capabilities (including video).

Customers should be able to search for us using key words (city, state, job category). They should also be able to have a one-click ability to reach out to us to engage us in their own request process. 

We should be able to have different pages with in our profile, to clearly seperate pictures, videos, word documents, excel files, resumes.

Basically, make it more up to date and less boring. 

Community Regular

I feel like my profile is a lot of text so that I can explain all the different things I do as a personal trainer.  However, I wonder if people actually read everything I write... I wonder if it can be off-putting.  It would be great to have a way to make the profile less text dependent while still being able to convey all the things I do and make it attractive to people

Community Newcomer

I feel that way also. My profile is a greata deal of text. I wonder if anyone ever reads all of it.

Community Newcomer

Hello,

I would like to be able to link and or post my reviews from my website, yelp or facebook to my thumbtack page.

Community Regular
Thank you for allowing us to give feedback as I think this is the best way to truly improve the thumbtack experience for both the pro and the customer!