Let's talk about your profile

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
36 491 9,080

Hey! I’m Carson, and I’m the Product Manager responsible for profiles.

At Thumbtack, we’re always working to help you get hired more. Using your Thumbtack profile to showcase your business and the quality service you provide is one of the best tools you have in your toolbelt.

You told us it’s important to highlight what sets your business apart, and we heard you! Here’s a glimpse at some of the upcoming features you can expect to see on your profile:

• Soon, you’ll be able to highlight past projects, link to social media, and display your past and current Top Pro status. You’ll also be able to tell customers the payment methods you accept so they know what to expect at the end of the project. These changes help customers get an even better sense of your style and what it’s like to work with you.
  • We’ll be improving the way images and reviews appear so you can be confident in what customers see when they visit your profile. Our goal is to give you the chance to put your best foot forward.
  • As we go, we’ll make improvements to how you visually display your work and tell your story on your profile. You’ll have the opportunity to customize what’s included in your service and show off your credentials and awards. Ultimately, we want your Thumbtack profile to be your go-to online identity for your business.

We’re working hard to get there. But we want to hear from you.  

What features would you like to see in your profile? And what questions do you have about the features above?

Share your thoughts and ideas below. I’m excited to hear them!

491 responses
Community Regular

It would be helpful to be able to show the clients (before and after) photos once they leave a review, good, bad or otherwise.

That way folks can see kinda what to exspect when it comes to silimlar tasks.

This is coming from a Company that we Fix Stuff!

Active Community Member

I've posted videos inside my templates because it was easier to let the client see what I could do for them at different levels.

However, I discovered recently that Thumbtack does not let you post videos with the MP4 extension. WHY NOT? I had to go to YouTube and copy my videos from there and paste them inside my introductory letter. By now, Thumbtack should be able to take almost any type of video extension, besides YouTube.

AVI, MOV, WMV, MPEG4, FLV, F4V:  just to name a few. It takes time to hunt down my videos on YouTube when I should be able to upload them quickly to send to the clients.

Community Regular
Some guys don’t have as many reviews and are new to Thumbtack some guys are small guys and don’t have the credentials but do good work and are working to get the credentials that do Cost money may be you can relay that to some customer that have smaller jobs to work with these Guys and that the smaller guys will work with them priceswise to get there job done good and professionally done
Community Regular
customer that have smaller jobs to work with these Guys and that the smaller guys will work with them priceswise to get there job done good and professionally done
Community Regular

Hello, I'd like to add my Thumbtack Reviews to my personal website, but want to be able to just select/show top 5-10 reviews.

Community Regular
To continue have some customers work with smaller guys that don’t have the credentials yet because of money but I’m working on them
Community Regular

Great suggestion! 

Community Newcomer

Customizable job titles would be helpful. For consultants, the choices are too narrow and do not depict what I do. I have to assume the same applies to other fields.

Community Regular
This platform represents our work and we would love to put our best foot forward. We spent the time shooting to editing the shots and when we post the finished product on Thumbtack, the platform destroys the quality of the photographs. Please fix this issue, especially on vertical portraits. We deserve higher resolution for the clients to see us at our best. Thank you!
Community Newcomer
I think you should offer more badges, and other things that separate top pros from regular pros that is all more badges would be better
Community Regular

Hello!

In regards to what I would like on my profile. I think it's important to have people who are trying to hire me to have some sort of photo of themself and/or some way to make their profile verified.  I've had a few spam clients who I've used credits on in hopes to get work, but in the end, it was just a scam to try to get my credit card information.  I know thumbtack is doing all they can to make the site better, and I for one am grateful that you guys have made it to where I don't lose credits if people don't look at my profile. 

-Keeg-The-Geek

Community Newcomer
Can we consolidate photos in a separate folder than videos? I’ve had a number of clients ask for external links to my work because of the difficulty of finding content.
Community Newcomer
Also, are images compressed when uploaded to Thumbtack? I haven’t checked on desktop but when I’m reviewing my photos via smartphone the images look compressed.
Community Newcomer
Calendar support would be nice. Once a client is booked it would be nice to click a button to add it to my google calendar.
Community Regular

I'd like to have flexibilty in the hours available. Different days.... different times. I don't like to pay when I'm not getting offers. Or that even when people just want to ask a question we still wrote.

Community Newcomer

I want my profile to show that I am a warm, encouraging music teacher who can help students learn to improvise and compose as well as read music. I will also help them to play beautifully, shaping phrases and using dynamics for expression.

Community Newcomer
I typically use thumbtack as a resume, I have a hard time getting hired with my elementary profile answers. I think it would be great if there was a way to connect all the different PROS as a community (such as this thread) to help PROS hire PROS, and maybe ways to use work photos as a background of the profile and help personalize it a little more.
Community Newcomer
Jason, There is no unsubscribe option when you click on the three dots this is crazy my inbox is overflowing as there is no unsubscribe option when you click on the three dots this is crazy my inbox is overflowing please help!
Active Community Member

Unsubscribe.png

Click on the upper right hand corner.

Click on My Subscriptions. You should be able to UNSUBSCRIBE  from there.

Community Regular

I run a nationwide online business, and I would like the ability to say that in my profile. In addition, I would like a feature on my profile to increase the range where I'm able to get leads. 

As of now the range only allows up to 150 miles radius. This makes me miss a lot of viable leads as an online business. At this time online coaching is a huge industry (that's continuing to grow). This would be a great option, and I would utilize Thumbtack a lot more if that feature was available. 

Community Regular

Is there any that there can be a direct link letting customers call us? I do include my number in the quote, but we all know not many people read the quotes thoroughly where as if there was a direct link it may prompt more immediate responses.

Community Newcomer
Possibly allowing pros to upload videos as introductory or even at work may be a good idea. I havent looked into it yet but connecting a company Facebook page to the profile would be nice also.

Not regarding our profiles but it would be nice to know how much to expect to be charged before bidding on jobs as well. Thank you for asking our input!
Community Newcomer

A list of sub-areas within a specialty might be good.  For example, I receive many requests for "embroidery" or "quilting" within the sewing category.  I don't do either of those.

Community Newcomer

I have an art school (Visual Arts Studio & Art School) and my hypnotherapy practice (Visual Arts Hypnotherapy), each wih a different phone number but with the same address.  Also my mailing address is the only one I want to supply.  The businesses are in my home and I will only give the address to interested callers.  My biggest problem is trying to get all of my net listings to show no physical address, only the correct phone number, and to promote the correct business. When I spend the time trying to correct listings, the programs mostly will not allow me to make the changes I require.

Any suggestions?

Community Regular
I think it would be helpful to habe a tool for calculating the price of a project with an excel like program where customer would pick options and see the result or sum instantly
Community Regular
Thank you for asking! The desperation of different categories and removal of multi subject tutoring in the budget was not ideal,
the price structuring was adjusted slightly after communicating with your customer service via phone, so I believe that was not alone in my concerns regarding a quote thatleft a negligible return on the first visit with a client( the quote structure has to consider the type of industry). For example, a painting job may pay a minimum of 500 dollars for a job, my field may involve just one session at anywhere from 35-50 dollars an hour(as seen as average in the insights portion on the website). So please look for congruence o feed charged to quote with type of job and the average payment collected by a pro.

It is frustrating to have a client blatantly lie and be an outlier on your reviews, it can be disconcerting... I have realized that I may have to accept the fact that it is possible that a teenager may lie to their parent(GASP*), but when someone has stellar comments, and then a review comes up that is such a disparity, it begs for a rationale. In my case, I simply issued an unsolicited full refund to the client, yet I have a beautiful service record marred by manipulative teenager. I do understand that it s important to the integrity of the reviews to accept them as they stand, so I really do not know what could be done to appropriately address this problem.

The staff is lovely and well trained( a positive note)

Glitches occur frequently( daily).

I honestly hope the “competition” quoting such low amounts get booked quickly.. I have seen a serious uptick in these quotes since the new pay structure came about; this makes no fiscal sense to me?? How can someone afford to quote 25 dollars an hour, pay more than half a of that to get the lead to contact them, then pay gas, tolls, and use supplies for sessions? I have been an entrepreneur for over 20 years... how do these “professionals” make a profit margin.. and how much quality can they possibly be offering to the client?

I am not a techie, bit more interactivity with social media.. ease of that process is essential for the continued exponential growth of this website. The next generation is used to immediate gratification., and clicking thier way through the web.

Please make it easier to delete or move old emails, and overall, make it easier to comprehend how to navigate in the pros own quote templates(ie deleting them).. I Finally figured out how to delete old templates...and the “update” button in templates has consIntently resulted in an “OOPS” message from Thumbtack.

Thank you for offering such a forum.

I also have hired pros from Thumbtack, and have turned others on to the website for hiring, not one person I have recommended the website to has had a negative experience with their pro.

Community Newcomer
  1. Allow us to send more than just 20mb worth of images at once to our clients. At the moment, Thumbtack restricts the total size of the images when first sending the images. However, I am able to send more images once the conversation has been initiated. Why not just let us send as many images the first round to make life simpler?
  2. Allow us to select multiple images at once to upload. At the moment, I have to keep clicking on the "upload" button for each picture I want to add into my message. Instead, allow us to select maybe 10 photos at once to be uploaded when sending our first message to clients.
  3. Under requests, allow us to view clients requests based on proximity! It would be nice to arrange requests based on distance. 
  4. In our inbox, it would be nice to see all our messages regardless of what category it is in. At the moment, we are only able to select from certain filters which restricts other messages from being viewed.
  5. How about a phone calling or video calling feature? It would be nice to do it in app! Or even a screen sharing capability, this will make editing for both clients and photographers easier, as clients can give live feedback on edits and how they would like the images to be edited.

Many thanks to the team for the great work! Thumbtack is really awesome 🙂

Community Regular
Thank you for asking! The desperation of different categories and removal of multi subject tutoring in the budget was not ideal,
the price structuring was adjusted slightly after communicating with your customer service via phone, so I believe that was not alone in my concerns regarding a quote thatleft a negligible return on the first visit with a client( the quote structure has to consider the type of industry). For example, a painting job may pay a minimum of 500 dollars for a job, my field may involve just one session at anywhere from 35-50 dollars an hour(as seen as average in the insights portion on the website). So please look for congruence o feed charged to quote with type of job and the average payment collected by a pro.

It is frustrating to have a client blatantly lie and be an outlier on your reviews, it can be disconcerting... I have realized that I may have to accept the fact that it is possible that a teenager may lie to their parent(GASP*), but when someone has stellar comments, and then a review comes up that is such a disparity, it begs for a rationale. In my case, I simply issued an unsolicited full refund to the client, yet I have a beautiful service record marred by manipulative teenager. I do understand that it s important to the integrity of the reviews to accept them as they stand, so I really do not know what could be done to appropriately address this problem.

The staff is lovely and well trained( a positive note)

Glitches occur frequently( daily).

I honestly hope the “competition” quoting such low amounts get booked quickly.. I have seen a serious uptick in these quotes since the new pay structure came about; this makes no fiscal sense to me?? How can someone afford to quote 25 dollars an hour, pay more than half a of that to get the lead to contact them, then pay gas, tolls, and use supplies for sessions? I have been an entrepreneur for over 20 years... how do these “professionals” make a profit margin.. and how much quality can they possibly be offering to the client?

I am not a techie, bit more interactivity with social media.. ease of that process is essential for the continued exponential growth of this website. The next generation is used to immediate gratification., and clicking thier way through the web.

Please make it easier to delete or move old emails, and overall, make it easier to comprehend how to navigate in the pros own quote templates(ie deleting them).. I Finally figured out how to delete old templates...and the “update” button in templates has consIntently resulted in an “OOPS” message from Thumbtack.

Thank you for offering such a forum.

I also have hired pros from Thumbtack, and have turned others on to the website for hiring, not one person I have recommended the website to has had a negative experience with their pro.

Community Regular

This makes sense. I do no think its right to be charged for a client that contacts me that I am not available to help anyway. Cleints put random dates on the form and check off all the time frames and then when I get them they have a specific date that does not fit in my availability.

Community Newcomer
I would like to have a more detailed narrative about what types of students I thrive with.
Community Newcomer
It would be helpful to know if they view my Facebook webpage.
Community Newcomer
If I could represent myself in a manner that would represent myself to attract exactly the clientele I would love to have, instead of just putting myself out there to just survive on my skills.
I would love to use Thumbtack like this!
I survive almost solely from Thumbtack, but only possibly 1/4 to 1/3 of my jobs are what I thrive on, especially emotionally.
I love the artistic work, much more than the craftsmanship with just my skills.

I don't know how to use Thumbtack to do this, although I survive independently doing what I do best.
Community Newcomer

Hi Carson

I've been a believer in Thumbtack for many years.     I use it with several other tools and we stay booked year long.     On the negative side, we get thumbtack  leads for hip hop, latin  or mariachi music, and DJ entertainment which I've specified in our profile we don't provide.   We're a variety band that plays specifically live hit danceable classic rock, classic country, blues and oldies and our demographic is the 55+ adult active communities, retirement resorts, and other venues that cater to ages 50-90.    We're unusual in that we're celbrating 50 years of Crystal Image.     29 albums released, many original songs of which have been featured worldwide on ABC, TNN, VH1, MTV, A&E network TV shows and movies.   Grand prize winner Nashville music city song festival and multi finalist American song festival.  Opened shows for War, Tower of power, Simon and Garfunkel and many others.

John

crystal image variety band

Community Newcomer
I use[d] Thumbtack primarily as a pro in photography and music instruction for a couple of years. I appreciate that it connects me to potential clients who are already actively looking for the focused services I provide.

With regard to profiles, I find the present form of content upload (photos in my case) exasperating to use on mobile devices. Mind you, it is much better than it has previously been, and, yes, I have tried it on both the Android application and in mobile browsers. Neither option was as easy as doing it from a computer. Since we live in the age of social media and many of the businesses which are likely to be featured on Thumbtack are also likely to have social media listings either in lieu of or more up to date than website listings, this should have been an integration option long ago. More incentive for satisfied customers to leave reviews for pros would also be nice. If pros have not set up personalized messages to send to clients for which either party has marked the pro as hired, Thumbtack should have a feature to automatically remind the customer at periodic intervals to leave a review for that professional similar to Amazon or eBay when they request feedback or reviews for recent purchases. Indeed, if pros are the paying market for Thumbtack as a business, it should be doing all it can to make customer relations a breeze for pros so that they can focus most on delivering the best product or service to their customers.

Though this is somewhat outside the purview of this topic, I also must express my disdain for Thumbtack's change to its business model. Over the course of at least two years with Thumbtack, I received quite a few customers. I spent well over $100 on credits to use to bid on jobs for clients. The credit system was excellent and very fair. Refunds on credits were issued if a potential client did not respond to a bid within 48 hours, and there were even free quotes allowed in markets where few pros existed offering a given service. I made decent returns on these investments, but then Thumbtack discontinued this model in favor of paying for mere contact with a customer while discontinuing any truly free quotes for limited competition. While this was not overly difficult as an adjustment, my rate of being hired plummeted. Customers were not even reported as hiring other pros for their jobs. Then came the 'weekly budget' allowances for Thumbtack in the application. Where I had once flourished, customers were ghosting left and right, and I was paying for every single contact they initiated in response to my quotes, and at that point I became much less interested in Thumbtack because other avenues are competitive with advertising budgets at that point, and I can target audiences. At this point without even 6 months' use of other platforms, I have made about 50% of what I have made with Thumbtack. Of course, no business is guaranteed with returns, but I assure you that other avenues seem more viable and valuable than Thumbtack now. Thumbtack needs to do a considerable bit to reclaim my business for its service now if it wants it.
Active Community Member
Hi CarsonP, thank you for the opportunity to share our thought regarding to our profile. I would like to see our profile photo a little bit bigger, so the customers can easily noticed us. Specially when we have more than one owner. On the images /photos section. I would like to have options of create my own photo category. For instantly, my service is providing wedding floral, event decorations, and candy buffet. It would be easy for the customer to view the specific photos of a service that they're looking for without going through all the mixed photos. If I didn't explained clear please contact me with 408.499.5272. Greatly appreciate it.

Active Community Member
On the photo. Can we have the option of select 5 or more photo to attached/upload instead of upload one by one.
Community Regular
First of, thank you for opening this for discussion!! I absolutely love Thumbtack and the service you guys provide us!!!!

* The goal of making our Thumbtack page a more online presence for our business is a great and exciting goal! I would love to see an easier way for me to attract outside customers to my Thumbtack page. Google optimization and a better way to feature our Thumbtack page on our website without having to contact our web manager

* Video upload capability would be great. I would love to post videos to my page and I do see that there is an option but it does not let me for some reason. A designated spot for videos would be great!

* Certificate displays or labels. Most of us don’t need licenses to provide our services but we work hard to be certified and it validates our craft. If we could display that somehow that would be very helpful.

* Auto responses when using instant quotes. I would love to be able to attach a message (and photos) to my pricing that would be sent with instant quotes. This will help customers get a better more personal experience than just getting a quote. They will have more info before reaching out to ask questions (which we are charged for) and then never hiring us.

Many thanks!!
Community Newcomer
my name is Luis I do the roofing work well done and 100% guaranteed and the reasonable price
Community Regular

I really wish there was a method to highlight different pricing structures for the various services you offer. I feel I lose a lot of potential customers because the price they see is really expensive, but may not realize that I offer more inexpensive options!

Community Regular

One of the things I do is I am a Notary. I can only be a notary in MA. I get requests from all over. I get very little money for doing this and can't therefore travel. I can't change where I would do this without changing the area I will do my other Wedding Officiant business. Also under quotes or requests when something is expired, I can't delete it and I don't want it sitting there forever. When something is put as a request for me as partial I would like to send a separate template response from my automatic one sent as I would charge more. I don't understand why I am getting ones for a 4 hour drive away when I won't go further than 1 1/2 hrs. I can understand as "partial" a 2hour drive but 4? REALLY? Also maybe the option of putting in a short video to promote oneself.

Community Newcomer
I would like for thumbtack to setup where we can upload a video from our home computer or laptop and not use youtube or vimeo.
Community Newcomer

We'd like the ability for the client to post a photo of our crew or the bar in their review; and the same for us.

And why is there no way for us to cut-and-paste info from our past responses to clients so that we can re-use for similiar events etc.?

Community Newcomer

I have a 30 second commercial I would like to post for prospects to view.  Can we do this?

Community Regular
You can put the prices on there, but if it takes me 2 hours to clean a bathroom or kitchen, the price doubles. The price goes up for overly dirty areas.
Community Newcomer

It would be great to be able to have some ability to group services I provide by type somewhere within the profile beyond the basic info - without building a whole new profile. So prospects could pick the group/type of service and then see samples etc.

Active Community Member

We need an option under Professional Licenses to be able to upload a photo if applicable.

For example, I am a Reiki Master Teacher.

There  is no option to prove certification in this area as the dropdown menu is too limited. 

Perhaps a Energy or Holistic Services category and option to upload.

Also the COST needs to be reflective of the industry.  A Reiki Practitioner does not make as much per customer as a car dealer.

If you truly wnat to help small business you need to take this into account in order to help us grow, as opposed to putting us out of business.

It is notmal to spend 2-5% on Advertising (this is ALL your advertising, not just one format) and since the new changes have been put in place,  your cost structure it is now more than 30%.  

The original system was much more personal, also.  I do not like the new impersonal format.

Community Newcomer

I have varying hours for my business on different days and would like to be able to highlight those for each day. That option would be very helpful! Also there is a cash option for payments and I'd like to include one for "check" as well even if it's "cash/check". 

I have several credentials which I'm not able to adequately list in my profile - only the one for the state I'mcertified in but not my national certification (which is the more imprtant of the two). I do have these listed under the  education/training section but since there is a section for licenses it would be most beneficial to show it there. Healthcare professionals ofetn carry multiple licenses and certifications - which can be verified - that are very important for potential clients to see in that section. Many of these set us apart from other competitors.

It would also be great to be able to narrow down more specifically what areas of expertise the clients are looking for. Currently it's rather over generalized and I see requests for some areas that are not relevant but if I exclude that category then that eliminates potential request that are relevant. Also it would be helpful to be able to have more flexibilty for the geographic areas we will entertain client from. My local area could be broader than I'm able to show and also if i could check specific states of the country that would allow me to broaden my reach.

Thanks

Community Newcomer

One of the issues of my Thumbtack profile is the file size limits of videos I want to show potential clients. I'm a wedding videographer and have full weddings I would love to host on my profile but can't. As a result, I usually have to ask for the client's e-mail, which many don't like to give out, in order to show them my videos that are hosted on Google Drive. 

Community Newcomer

Social Media is a must!  I would like my prospective and old guests have the option to check out my Instagram or Facebook when they want to research a bit more about me.  This kind of advertising is vital to a caterer like me.  In addition, I would like to know when a guest is accessing my Instagram, Facebook, or social media thru ThumbTack..It will give me some more insight as to the efficacy of Thumbtack...kinda like a ROI.

Community Regular

Or a way to add more than one picture at a time on the app