Let's talk about your profile

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
36 491 31.4K

Hey! I’m Carson, and I’m the Product Manager responsible for profiles.

At Thumbtack, we’re always working to help you get hired more. Using your Thumbtack profile to showcase your business and the quality service you provide is one of the best tools you have in your toolbelt.

You told us it’s important to highlight what sets your business apart, and we heard you! Here’s a glimpse at some of the upcoming features you can expect to see on your profile:

• Soon, you’ll be able to highlight past projects, link to social media, and display your past and current Top Pro status. You’ll also be able to tell customers the payment methods you accept so they know what to expect at the end of the project. These changes help customers get an even better sense of your style and what it’s like to work with you.
  • We’ll be improving the way images and reviews appear so you can be confident in what customers see when they visit your profile. Our goal is to give you the chance to put your best foot forward.
  • As we go, we’ll make improvements to how you visually display your work and tell your story on your profile. You’ll have the opportunity to customize what’s included in your service and show off your credentials and awards. Ultimately, we want your Thumbtack profile to be your go-to online identity for your business.

We’re working hard to get there. But we want to hear from you.  

What features would you like to see in your profile? And what questions do you have about the features above?

Share your thoughts and ideas below. I’m excited to hear them!

491 responses
Community Regular

You can add all of that in your profile.

Community Newcomer

I'd like to be able to categorize my photos. There's one big scroll, but when I go after work, it would be nice to be able to share just my headshots, or just my product shots.

Community Newcomer
I would like to see a faster way to upload photos , as well as categorize them in different services albums. Be nice as well to have a link in profile to your business web page. Thanks
Community Regular

I absolutely agrre with you on this one. I work a full time job during the week and work different hours during the week then I do on the weekends.

Community Regular

This is a great idea! Being bondd and insured sets you apart from those who are not and let potential clients know right away who is insured and who isn't.

Community Regular

I've been battaling with Thumbtack for months to get my license verified. My business is a partnership which is owned by me and my business partner. We are both individually licensed in 4 different states and they would only verify one state for me. They said since my business partners name was not on our Thumbtack account they could not verify the license and that we would have to have 2 profiles for the same company in each of our names. It's rediculous. 

Community Newcomer

These improvements would definitely help prospective clients have a better idea of what is out in the world & they can narrow who & what they need. The problem has been that clients are too vague about what they need & don't know or have a space to say what their project is. My illustrators are pros who work on all kinds of projects from Intel to Doritos to trade show graphics. It would be great to put a few of our samples on the profile but I've done that also when responding to people. The weak spot of Thumbtack is that most people have lower level illustrations & don't realize the differences in illustration styles. They are pretty uneducated, not CD's or designers mostly. I would love to collaborate with you on how to upgrade their experience as well as ours so both don't spend as much time figuring out whether a client is qualified or whether our styles apply to their projects. I'm very local (on the Peninsula).

Freda Scott--fredascottcreative.com--415-939-9121

Community Newcomer

I have multiple services that I provide but it is not easy to customize them separately. Every time I make a change to one of them such as area it affects them all despite only making the change on one of them. It would be great to be able to set them up individually and independently.

Community Newcomer
I would like to indicate that I am mainly a kid show entertainer and that I also do adult shows as well. I love to do birthday parties, but I am also available for weddings, banquets, libraries, schools, conventions, trade shows, fairs, and family shows.

The other issue is, how do I setup a really decent social media tool of my show? Should I record a live show or could I simply do a couple 2 minute bits filmed my home with just me and a character doing a short routine?

Woodi
P.S. Please refer to me as Woodi, not Bruce, thank you
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dom-minasi. You have a lot to showcase, that’s awesome! You have the option to add all of this to your profile and customers will be able to see it. Just go to your profile and edit your introduction. Let me know if you have any questions about this, always happy to help.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Good news @Jb0070, your profile is sent to your customers along with your quote. Once they open the quote, your profile will be right next to it showing your reviews and all of your other info. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @BeckyWright this is something you can do, yay! This article will walk you through the process of adding photos and videos to your profile, check it out: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/editing-my-photos-videos-and-audio. 

Community Regular
That's basically the same issue with photo and video work. People never give good enough descriptions on the scope of the job and then they contact 4-5 different pros. I'm an inch away from deleting my TT profile because it's basically been a loss. People are shoppers and it really hurts us with the TT business model.
Community Newcomer
I would like to be able to offer examples of my work in separate categories, As a floral designer for each of the items potential customers are interested in.

My question regarding linking other social media accounts is what privacy settings are and how information is shared.

Thank you,
Michelle C.
Community Newcomer
Ability to add videos of our work
Community Veteran

@yourethebride, there are two sets of dots.  The one closer to the top of the page is where you want to look.  But don't worry, I've gone ahead and unsubscribed you regardless!

And remember, next time, all you have to do is uncheck the box that says "Email me when someone replies," and you'll be all set!

Community Veteran

@yourethebride, there are two sets of dots.  The one closer to the top of the page is where you want to look.  But don't worry, I've gone ahead and unsubscribed you regardless!

And remember, next time, all you have to do is uncheck the box that says "Email me when someone replies," and you'll be all set!

Community Newcomer

Please contact me as soon as the new features are available.

Thank you,

Larry Audije, Owner

A Social Affair Dance Studio

13947 Beach Boulevard

Suite #207

Jacksonville, Florida 32224-1200

P: (904) 821-1010

E: Dance@ASocialAffair.net

W: www.ASocialAffair.net

Community Newcomer

I would appreciate going back to the previous distinction between Editing and Writing. These professsions and tasks are not identical. I offer editing services--developmental editing for fiction and copyediting for both fiction and nonfiction. However, the recent elimination of "Editing" as a service has drastically reduced the number of potential clients for me. I haven't seen a request for a fiction manuscript editor in weeks; all the requests are focused on grant writing or technical writing. If clients don't have the option of editing, they will either force their request into a category that doesn't really fit their job or they will simply stop using Thumbtack. I have certainly come close to doing that myself.

Community Newcomer
I'd love to be able to upload a video to the profile as a main video, separate from the uploads section, near the top, like a commercial for my business. I can imagine it would be quite helpful for every other business as well.
Community Regular

@Carson

Here are some great ways to help improve the Thumbtack Profile Experience for both the Pro and Potential Client.

1. Providing Interactive Profiles that can be personalized to an extent by the professional would be great. Profile updates would include adding background page color, changing fonts, pictures display, etc. Having a handful of these types of capabilities will make it more engaging for the potential client.
  2. Making Thumbtack Profile more discoverable on Major Search Engines. Thumbtack/Pro’s Name/Expertise
  3. Share this Pro! Social Media Buttons. 

Community Newcomer

First of all, I like Thumbtack's business model. I used it to hire a couple of professionals in the past (Garage Door Repairman and Pool Maintenance guy), and now I'm using it for some small businesses I'm starting.  As you expand into new areas, I can see the significant challenges you face. I like most of what I see, but I have a few feedback items with suggestions.

- I have a few businesses with profiles set up to handle different types of requests, but there is a bit of overlap between a couple of them. I have a Life/Work Coach profile and a Therapy/Spiritual Counselling profile. I would like to have a little more control about which goes to which. For example, if someone requests a Life Coach for Relationship issues or lack of motivation, I would rather those went to my Spiritual counselling profile. This would require some more settings about how to handle areas outside of my specific preferences, and perhaps being able to select specific types of requests I don't want. 

- I also sometimes get requests regarding documentation or writing, but I would like to be able to filter out certain types of requests entirely. For example, I do not want to do "grant writing", and I don't have it selected as a preference. I should be able to say which things I definitely do not want. Same with people who prefer a female practitioner. I do not want those requests, since I am male.

- I have automatch turned on, but I don't seem to be able to get any information about when/if automatches has gone out. One tech support person suggested that I could tell by looking at sent requests, and we seem to have found one, but they are not clearly marked, and I can't necessarily remember everyone who I sent a quote to. It should be shown on ther services page, and there should be a separate menu item under the inbox (or somewhere) for automatched items.

- In some cases, when I give a fixed bid for something, I am being billed more than my bid for the contact. I gave someone a life coaching fixed bid for $35, I think it was (it was a short job), but I was billed $38. 

Rick.

Community Newcomer

I would like to see all of my reviews reflected in my two accounts. Since i have 2 profiles it looks like i have less reviews because they are only reflected in each area, which i do not like. i think a review is a review, does not matter where. Or help me to combine my profiles into 1 for 2 areas? Is it possible to switch back and forth between 2 different areas? that would be great!

I would like to see a background image on my profile like other sites have. I would like to see a little shorter profile. So many sites ask people in my profession to fill these out, gets to be too time consuming generating so many profiles! Give them a link to our website, and maybe that is where there is a fee, when they check out the website and not just the profile??

I agree with others about quoting, i am not sure i like this new system,  and have not wanted to use it, i think it is too blind,  too confusing, and too general. 

I also feel that in my business the description on the job should be required from the person looking for a professional. There are too many moving parts in my sort of business.In other words the request MUST have a 'required' descriptive portion for the requestor to fill out exactly what it is that they are looking for, or the request cannot be submitted or considered. This saves everyone, time, money, and useless running around.

Not sure about the 'contact' portion. Many people 'contact' everyone that is listed, so now everyone gets charged? Maybe small fee if contacted, larger fee for whom is hired for the request? Or maybe like i suggested above, if they go from profile to website, then we get charged?

Should be an area for awards.

I do not want my reviews aligned with photos, i do not always take photos especially if the homeowner changes, or does some weird things on their own to their project. 1they can still write me a review, but it does not need to be associated with a photo.

Thank you so much for asking out opinions, I appreciate that Thumbtack!

Community Newcomer
End all anonymous reviews so that we can be sure that we are replying to the correct person with the review. In the spirit of the free market and transparency against malicious attacks please make all former and upcoming reviews not anonymous.

Thank you
Community Newcomer

My personal trianing sessions are 45-minute in durration, but I am only able to say that I offer 60-minute classes. I'd like it if that could be adjusted. I would also very much like to win that 250 dollars 😉

Community Newcomer

I would like to enter the type of entities that I work with which are "flow throughs" or Sole Proprietor, LLC, LLP, or S-Corporation which is my niche. This would work for Bookkeeping, Accounting, Tax Accounting and Consult

I would like to pick a niche as I am focusing on Owner/Operator transporation,  or a specific client I am looking for, not just anyone because it costs me money.

I would like to pick "Remote" because that how I work, remotely no in-person meetings: The client should be able to see that fact.

I don't like the fact that Thumbtack has on the client side set pricing for my professional services. The client should read the bio and decide if that professsional sounds like someone they would want to contact not Thumbtack informing the client what they should pay. Counter productive for Thumbtack.

Community Newcomer

From what I can see from my side of the conversation, it looks very bland when a customer receives an instant match quote.  Just a price. I would like to see a link to my profile, or a piece of my profile along with my instant quote that the customer sees instantly in the conversation.

Active Community Member

I sincerely agree JodPhoto.  I have a side business I'm trying to grow that covers several items.  With the previous Templates, I was able to craft an introduction to potential customers for the exact service they were asking for.  Now that we are forced to use our profiles in lieu of our templates, it's not as easy to separate services.  I've dropped off of TT for the past month or so because of the changes.  

Community Regular
Make it easier to showcase an individual "brand," i.e. make it possible to customize profile colors, spot for a logo, etc. Also let us arrange the order of our profile (elements like reviews, FAQs, photos, etc.) for whatever showcases our work best.
Thanks for taking us all into consideration!
Community Newcomer
Aloha,
Thank you for this opportunity for us to give our suggestions and feedback and Thank you for caring enough about us to do this and make it great! If your goal for us is to have Thumbtack to be our go to marketing platform then my suggestion is to implement a form of payments and deposits for the clients and then that’s how we get paid 😊 (instead of us figuring it out) Mahalo 🤙
Gigi
Community Regular
In all honesty the worst part about the profiles is the ability to combine them for businesses that do business in multiple cities above and beyond 150-200 miles away from a given profile center. I have two or three profiles for my entertainment company and I cannot combine them to share reviews and profiles. We book entertainment within 500 miles of Portland, Seattle, Nashville, and St Louis.
Community Newcomer
Would be great if shows all your reviews not only from Thumbtack customer. Also I wish to be able to change the picture to each quote, no send the same to every different project.
Community Newcomer

For newbies as myself, I keep getting an email saying that I should follow up but cannot find where to go to follow up. Allow us to put more than one phone number for the business. Plus I cannot figure out how to fix a quote in my instant match form.

Community Expert

Hi @Hannech1, I've moved your post to this board for new pros.

For more information on how to complete your profile, you can visit this page here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/build-my-profile-before-quoting. 

If you feel like you need more of an overview on how the site works for pros this page can also be useful: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/how-thumbtack-works

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have or help with setting up your profile so feel free to send me a private message anytime and I'll respond as quickly as I can. Also feel free to call us at 800-948-2034 we are open Mon-Fri 7am-8pm MDT.

Community Newcomer
I operate a service company. Each of my technicians have different qualifications.

I would like an area in my profile to highlight each of my technicians individual certifications. Maybe even add a picture of them.

That way when I tell a customer the name of the technician going to their home they can look at my profile see a picture of the technicians, review his qualifications, and see that he has been background checked by my company.

This way they know exactly who is coming to their home and what they can expect.
Plus it gives the customer piece of mind and a level of comfort.
Community Regular
I'd like to be able to post a range for pricing
Community Newcomer
I feel having a way to show you business is registered with your state/ local government would be great to boost credibility. Currently, to my knowledge, only professional licenses (I.e General Contractors) are able to show this. We often find that many GCs are “designers” too.

Additionally, on an unrelated profile update note, Kitchen and Bathroom design could be a great category to add for services. This is one of the few platforms we’re not able to bid on these specific projects because they are exclusively for remodelers, but the design generally comes first.
Community Newcomer

Would also be nice to have word tag ability so we can add services to our profile that are specific to what we do. ie; fabric, silk, canvas, acrylic, portrature etc..... I have noticed the available profile catergories are often inclusive of jobs I am not qualified for- I may do Faux Painting but not Cabinet Painting- but it's is grouped with something like: Cabinet Refinishing, etc...

I hope we will be able to create specfic albumns for different types of visual artistry that we offer services for.

Thanks- Helen

Community Regular
Add expert rating, and functional patterns certifications for personal trainers.
Community Regular
So many more to be listed. Nesta , Issa, expert rating , functional patterns, group training
Community Regular
Yes! I'm a kitchen designer too.. and I totally agree with you. I have two profiles... So I think this board has me listed as pastor because I officiate weddings too... out my website www.studiostratton.com. Maybe we can collaborate on a project now and again.
Community Newcomer
It would be great if FAA licenses drone operators were able to add their credentials to your “professional licenses” section. Currently the FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate is not in your list. A drone operator must have this to accept paying work.
Community Newcomer

Hello! It would be very cool if we could see how many people view our profiles (like LinkedIn does) maybe only Top Pros qualify? 

Community Regular

Ditto!

Community Regular
Hi there! I am tired of getting requests that it says I have been picked out of a list of pros.... then the potential client ask when is your next availability! This potential client has not even looked at my profile, location or what I offer and then I get charge for responding. The potential client then responds with either “that’s way too far”, or I was wanting a Therapist to come to me or I was looking for a traditional massage! So my request would be is the potential client really needs to look at someone’s website/profile to see what we actually offer so we as professionals do not keep getting charged for silly questions and not an actual job.
Active Community Member

I have that same issue. As of now, I refuse to open or pursue these so called "No need to quote" offerings which charge you whether you get a response or not. 

Community Newcomer

Quit the reminders. I know there are postings to look through after the initial text you send.  I will review them on my laptop as soon as I have time. Constantly blasting my phone while working a job, or during down time is annoying and counter productive.. 

Allow more specific tunning on job description for matching. I do repair doors. However, I'm pretty specific to Sliding Glass Doors. Or Pocket Doors, Or doors with Rollers.  Your Profile options are too broad. Allow for a Pro's "Key Phrases" to help drill down to match specifics. Client "Quote Requests", should also drill down. Such as "Need Door Rollers", or "Door is dragging".   Prompt the clients for further drill down using software "drop downs" from the Pro's  "Key Phrases".

In my prior life I was a Software Developer for a fortune 50 company. With a well thought out Database, and some drop down selection choises this could be very intuitive to the customer, and extreamly helpful for the Pro.

Thanks,

John

813 767 8428

Community Regular

when you leave a message here - uncheck the box 'email me when someone replies' if you don't want a ton of emails in your inbox.

I would like to be able to drag and drop photos to where i want, not just 'move up' and 'move down'

A time limit for the customer to respond or not would be considerate.  Also, letting a customer select 'not interested' in your quote with a notification to you so you know they looked at it and are not going to go with you instead of just leaving you hanging wondering - because it's totally not cool for thumb to charge the service provider because the customer decided to go out of their way to msg you back saying 'no thanks'

Community Newcomer

It would be fantastic if at least once a year if a "Profile Manager or Profile Editor" from Thumbtack would schedule an annual schedule to improve and make suggested improvements as it is not possible to take on my profile during the landscaping season and the work flow is full force. A January meeting for outside contractors in the off-season would be a huge step. Thumbtack is a highly valuable Customer Contact service because it is a Presentation Work Service an valuable because it is so much better than "Pirhana Work Services" like Mowz, Lawnstarter and Lawn Guru and much more relational and "evaluational" than Greenpal. This allows a much more rational process in getting details on contractor and customer familiarity. A Profile Session is a more productive investment in that unique value.

Also, it is extremely frustrating seeing O contactors bid on the project profile but after bidding and going to Insights and seeing 5 contractors had already bid. Please get the Contractors on Job Profile accurate or just delete it. I keep concluding this is manipulating and deceptive in getting to bid on a job because you think your the first or only one bidding.

I would also like to have Customer Profile information on how serious and what kind of Customer Project posting they are. I would like to see a record of Thumbtack Hires per Thumbtack Postings they have done. I am finding Thumbtack Jobs are also showing up after or at the same time as Thumbtack project on Lawnstarter and Greenpal. I think a Customer profile will cut out the abuser and misusers from wasting contractors and Thumbtack attention and effort.  

Community Newcomer
I would like to see my profile list backsplash tiling and fireplace tiling and mantle installation