Let's talk about your profile

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
36 491 16.5K

Hey! I’m Carson, and I’m the Product Manager responsible for profiles.

At Thumbtack, we’re always working to help you get hired more. Using your Thumbtack profile to showcase your business and the quality service you provide is one of the best tools you have in your toolbelt.

You told us it’s important to highlight what sets your business apart, and we heard you! Here’s a glimpse at some of the upcoming features you can expect to see on your profile:

• Soon, you’ll be able to highlight past projects, link to social media, and display your past and current Top Pro status. You’ll also be able to tell customers the payment methods you accept so they know what to expect at the end of the project. These changes help customers get an even better sense of your style and what it’s like to work with you.
  • We’ll be improving the way images and reviews appear so you can be confident in what customers see when they visit your profile. Our goal is to give you the chance to put your best foot forward.
  • As we go, we’ll make improvements to how you visually display your work and tell your story on your profile. You’ll have the opportunity to customize what’s included in your service and show off your credentials and awards. Ultimately, we want your Thumbtack profile to be your go-to online identity for your business.

We’re working hard to get there. But we want to hear from you.  

What features would you like to see in your profile? And what questions do you have about the features above?

Share your thoughts and ideas below. I’m excited to hear them!

491 responses
Community Newcomer

I would love a way to easily drag and drop portfolio images. Sometimes we need to showcase a project or want to show newest first. I'd also love a way for clients to reach out directly from our profile. 

Community Newcomer

I think customers love transparency - I'd love to see all client/contractor communications open for all to see until a contract is accepted by both parties. Then they obviously need to exchange more private information like addresses and contact info.

Community Newcomer

I'd like a way to say hi to potential clients and let them know I'm not presently available to help because of previous commitments. I feel it's not good for Thumbtack or for my business to not hear from anyone, when they are seeking our help. I don't want to pay to let them know I'm sorry I'm busy but if they are flexible I may be available shortly. As a designer I never know if any other designers have  responded. I'd be happy if they found someone..but to have no one respond is not good for any of us.

Community Regular

This is a huge problem. Thumbtack has undergone a few big changes to its model since I joined two years ago, but it still has a ways to go. First, we paid when someone viewed our quote. Then we paid only when the client contacted us.  A better system, to be sure, but two big issues with it: 

1. The client can contact any number of pros at no detriment to them. This is intentional on Thumbtack's part, as the more pros a client contacts, the more money they make. Of course, a client can only actually hire one pro, so this system hurts us. 

2. The amount it costs when a client does contact you increased by 5X from the original amount. So rather than paying $3 for a $150 headshot session when a client views your quote, we now pay $15-$40 for the same quote if a client contacts us. The issue with this is that, despite contacting Thumbtack several times, nobody can quite tell me how they decide what to charge. I've been charged $11 for a $250 corporate headshot quote, then $25 for a $100 headshot session. 

In short - Please, please, please be more transparent about how you decide to charge for these quotes, or at the very least, make it more standardized. If it's not based on the price of the job, tell us what it's based on. I've heard "it's the value you'll receive." How is that different than the money we receive?

Community Regular

Can we get rid of the anonymous option for clients when they leave reviews? It looks so shady, even if it's a positive review. 

Community Expert

@westhoml I just wanted to let you know that is currently the way Thumbtack reviews work. The change was made a little bit ago and any new customer reviews will include their name.

Community Regular

Thanks for the response!

Community Regular
The best thing that my profile could do is encourage people to give me their phone number as there are only five people contacted to respond to the request. In my line of business, having a Voice contact with the person is worth more than 1000 pictures.
Community Regular

Im tired of getting requests outside of my area!  And I reall hate the new pricing system.  It really varies, and it is way too much per quote considering that I have only had 3 new client this whole year.  Please fix this.  Thx.

Community Newcomer
Hmmmm...perhaps refine the job categories a bit? I am a paralegal, but, legal services are directed at attorneys only. I offer document prep services, but have a hard time finding jobs to bid on. Sometimes I find jobs in Administrative, but, they are mostly looking for personal assistants and office assistants. Perhaps break the category down a bit more, i.e. 1) Personal Assistant 2) Virtual Assistant 3)Document Prep Assistance (subcategories, unlawful detainer, divorce, small claims, etc) ... Also thinking about business plans and business entity formation as subcategories under business consulting? This is what comes to mind so far, but I will contribute more ideas as they come to me.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @CritterSitter have you looked over your advanced settings? Those are located at the bottom of the services section of your profile. There's an option to "request jobs near my travel area" and if that's turned on, you'll be getting requests out of your area. If you're still getting requests out of your area after that, please send me a PM with your email address and I can dig into things and see what's going on. 

Community Newcomer

One thing that would be very helpful for record keeping:

Under the Payments tab, there is a link to download a CSV file. The file only has date, type, and amount. Adding a field with the customer name would make it easier to match charges with estimates. Otherwise we have to open each individual Thumbtack invoice in our payment history to match the charges with our quotes.

Community Newcomer
A good idea would be to also include the distance of the job from your current location. Sometimes they provide the address and sometimes just the town. I always have to open up maps to gauge that. So I think that would be useful. Thanks!
Community Regular

My concerns are not so much with the profile, but with the requests we get.  There are some things that would make huge improvements.

1.  I cannot bid on a job without knowing the date...that should be required. OR, if the client doesn't know the date, if I bid on it and then they tell me the date and I'm booked, I should get a refund. Otherwise I just don't bid on events without a date, which is a disservice to the clients.  Also on dates, I don't know what the client sees on their end but it must not be a clear question because OFTEN I get requests that show "date the work must be done" and the date is today.  Clients tell me they don't know what to put in that category on their end.  The questions may read funny.   For event planners...it should read, "What is the date of your event?"

2.  Budget doesn't come across clear.  When I look at budgets, I don't know if they are telling me an overall budget, or a budget for a product like linens, or a budget for my  time to handle the project.  I need to know two things...overall event budget (or a range), and budget for the planner.  Overall event budget is super important, please add that.

3. If the venue is chosen, I would love to know what it is, not just that it is chosen.  That would help a lot in my bids.

4.  I wish there was a way to communicate when a client is WAY off, rather than ignoring the bid.  For example, sometimes I see a client wants a full wedding planner and their budget is $200...average price is actually $1800 for wedding planners across the state. So this client is so far off she'll never get attention.  Maybe a checkbox to send back that informs them they are way off base.

Thanks!

Amanda

Principal, Events@5280

Community Regular
I dislike the small, round profile pic. A large, landscape photo would look more impressive to potential clients.
Community Regular

I know that in todays society the internet is often the first place potential customers turn. For example, in my field someone would google "squirrel removal" to find a pro to assisst them. Thumbtack odesn't appear in the top 5, thus realistically they have little chance of being the customers first choice. Maybe if they worked on getting to the top of search engine lists it would greatly assist us all?

Community Regular

Could it be mandatory for clients to describe their projects! This would be specifically helpful for any art, design, web, or related industry project (those are the sector I am in). When a project comes in with no description professionals are applying but may not be qualified because the needs can vary so much.

People looking for TT pros rarely fill in this part of the project and this causes two major problems.

A) The Customer isn’t getting the right professionals bidding for the job which means they aren’t getting the best experience that TT and its pros can offer

B) the pros are wasting time by applying for jobs they are not fit for, and when they do bid on a project they are right for they dont have the appropriet information to help the client from the get go. It’s baaaaaaaad! 

Community Newcomer
Hello Carson!
It’d be great if the pro’s profile included his/her years of experience on the job. I am new to Thumbtack but have thirteen years of experience in my career as a tutor. I’d like to showcase these numbers right next to the stars (reviews) under my name.
Community Veteran

This is a great suggestion, @BlushPix.  We're spending a lot of time thinking about how and where pros show up on a customer's list of results.  Advanced search options and filters are definitely on our mind, too.  Keep your eyes peeled for changes, and we'll keep you posted on any changes we make!

Community Expert

Hey @dnovitsky, you can actually already provide a link to your website in your profile. You'll just need to visit the view of your profile and hit the "edit" button next to your business name. There you'll find the provided space to add your website URL. As far as a tracker, that isn't something we offer yet, but a great suggestion there.

Community Regular

I also would like the option for the system to automatically delete a service request should a client hire someone. I don't mind doing the follow ups but sometimes it would save time to know if potential client already hired someone else.

Community Expert

@notarylarry this is definitely something that is good to highlight by using the intro section of your profile along with answering the Q&A section. Keep an eye out as we work on ways to showcase previous jobs you've done in your profile as well.

Community Veteran

Hi @MTI! Thank you so much for your post!

Right now, these are all things you can add to the "About this pro" section of your profile. If you need any help doing that, don't hesitate to send me a private message!

Community Expert

@BruceWilley adding videos in your media section is currently offered. You can take a look at the steps to do this here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/editing-my-photos-videos-and-audio.

Community Newcomer

Carson

Wel let me first start off by introducing myself. I am Steve from SD Contractors. To be honest it doesn't really matter how tech saavy thumbtack can be. if a customer wants to see my past work I can show them my portfolio of work I have done over the years of being a contractor and I would rather show them in person. Also there has been discussions of quoting blind. It is too hard to give a customer an honest quote when the customer can only see so much. A customer can only explain what they see not the entire picture. For instance if the customer wants a deck built: whats the ground made of ( clay, stone, wet, very dry) this we need to know for digging the footings for the framing. Or do they live in a housing association and do we need to pull 2 permits ( 1 for the housing association 1 for the township), it also depends on if their house is a bi-level or ranch home as to where I can put the ledger board and how its going to be anchored into the building. All these are legitimate questions that we have to look at before we can give a price, and more often than not you get ignored when you dont give the customer a quote right away and you ask them for more details that they really can't answer. Or if the customer wants a wall mount with hidden cables, this is not straight forward and most of the time the customer has no idea what kind of walls they have. Not to mention that they could have drywall walls but whats the depth behind the drywall ( is it 1 inch, 2 inch 4 inch etc...) Also as far as the electrical especially above a fireplace, they get asked is there an outlet near where the TV is going to get mounted? Most say yes because they see an outlet 16 inches up from the floor but its not up at where the new TV is going to go. You cant by law put an electrical cord in the wall and plug it straight in ( the power cord is no insulated) you have to run an outlet or power bridge ( if you run an outlet its not always possible to tap into an existing outlet and run off that one for a new outlet, you have to look at the load capacity on that string of outlets to make sure your not exceeding 85% of the breaker) so you may need to run a new outlet so thats more cost. Ive seen bids on here for wall mouted TV with hidden cables for $99. No way can you do it for that price if you have to run a new outlet or a power bridge ( what I have to pay for a power bridge $39.99) and thats not installing it. The only way you can wall mount a TV with hidden cables for $99 is if its done illegally and incorrectly.

I also would like to mention that trying to compete with joe schmoe looking for beer money and the ridiculous quotes they give is hurting the real contractors out there looking to make a living and not just using thumbtack for supplemental income. There should be a screening process on here that require commercial auto, and general liability to perform work. No contractor that has expenses before they start their day can compete with alot of the unrealistic quotes given on this site. No way can I compete with $100 wall mounts and $85 new outlet installs. Anyone that signs up on here should have to list and get their insurance verified and if they don't have any insurance then it should be visible with their name so when they bid on a job the customer knows that they have no insurance and its the risk of the customers to deal with the uninsured person. You could attract more A+ contractors if it was a fair game across the board not designed for the person just lookin for beer money

Community Veteran

This is an interesting idea, @PaulJ! Something for us to think about.  In the meantime, consider adding your years of relevant experience to your About this pro section on your profile.  If you need any help doing that, just send me a private message. 

Thanks again!

Community Expert

@TatianaLi adding a personal note or template is something we're looking into with Instant Match quotes. We're also recommending to pros a lot of the time to include similar information to the intro section of their profile for customers to see.

Community Veteran

These are really interesting ideas, @ccastille01! We'll think about these some more.  Thank you for the suggestion, and we'll keep you posted!

Community Expert

@singforlife great suggestion. Right now you can upload Youtube or Vimeo videos through desktop only by following these steps.

Adding media
  1. View your Profile (and if you have more than one business on Thumbtack, select the one you’d like to update).
  2. Scroll down to Photos & Videos.
  3. If you’ve never uploaded media, select Add photos, then follow the steps below for the type of media you’d like to add.

• To add a photo, click Upload, select the image from your computer, and click Open.
  • To add a video, paste the Youtube or Vimeo URL and click Add.

4. When you're finished uploading media, click Done.

Community Expert

@eboruff 
Requiring a phone number from customers is something we tried in the past and we actually saw a decline in requests that were coming in. Customers told us that they didn't feel comfortable leaving their phone number and would rather give it out on their own terms. However, it's something that's always on our radar and never out of the question as the product grows and changes. Thanks for contributing to the community!

Community Veteran

Thanks for this suggestion, @Forsyth

We're thinking a lot about how to best feature photos and other media on your profile, so that you can stand out and so that customers can see the right content at the right time.  We'll keep you posted as have more to share on this, but stay tuned!

Community Expert

Hey, @mom2macy I took a look into your profile and found those numbers listed in your Q&A section. I took that out for you, but if it's shown anywhere else in your account feel free to send me a PM and I'll take a look with you.

Community Veteran

Thanks so much for your post, @nwilson1405! Payments is something we're working on, though it might take some time (as you can imagine, starting to take payments through Thumbtack opens up all sorts of complexities, and we definitely want to be very thoughtful). But stay tuned! We'll share updates as we have them 🙂

Thank you again for weighing in!

Community Expert

@JeremiahNASMCPT these are some great suggestions! Customer payment integrations are definitely in the works and we're also looking into customers being able to purchase packages from pros. 

We have tried requiring a phone number from customers and found that many of them wouldn't complete their job form or felt uncomfortable giving it up front. After looking into this further we found that they would rather give that type of information later in the process as they began to work more with pros in working out details. As the product grows and changes we're still keeping this in mind and are looking for ways to make this work along with customers having easier access to pro information as well.

Community Regular

Thanks for the explanation!

Community Veteran

Thanks for your post, @maryleeanddean!

You have a few options when asking customers for reviews. You can schedule a review request to be sent on a certain date, ask for reviews by email, and share your review link. Feel free to get creative when sharing your review link. We’ve seen pros print it on the back of business cards, share it in text messages, and post it on their social media accounts. To read more about how to Get reviews, check out our article in the Help Center. And be sure to let us know what’s working and what isn’t. Your feedback helps us make Thumbtack an even better place to find customers and grow your business.

Community Veteran

Thanks so much for your post, @Bobby333! So great to hear you've had success on Thumbtack, and that you're having great customers coming back! That says a lot about the awesome customer experience you provide.

Thanks again for weighing in!

Community Veteran

@DrRaeJ, thanks so much for your post!

This is something you can actually add directly to your About this pro section on your profile.  If you need any help doing that, don't hesitate to send me a Private Message!

Thanks again for weighing in!

Community Expert

@MicahWhitten you should be able to view your "sent quotes" through your inbox. This page talks more about your inbox and the inbox filters: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/manage-my-inbox. If your still having trouble with this after reading through that page please feel free to send me a DM 🙂

Community Veteran

This is a really great idea, @FinishCarpenter! Thank you for sharing it!

In the interim, I hope you'll use this Community to find pros in other industries whom you can maybe refer and who can maybe refer you.  Making these sorts of connections and relationships is defintiely something we want to encourage and support!

Thanks again!

Community Expert

@djNyceMan I'm excited to let you know that these are two things that you can do with your account.

To block jobs from coming in that are outside of your availability be sure to fill out your pro calendar. 
Here are some steps that show how to do this: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/pro-calendar.

You can add normal videos to your profile using your phone or desktop. As for Youtube videos, you'll be able to do that as long as you're using a desktop. I've attached the steps to adding media to your profile here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/editing-my-photos-videos-and-audio

Community Veteran

Thanks for your post, @Christina!

You have a few options when asking customers for reviews. You can schedule a review request to be sent on a certain date, ask for reviews by email, and share your review link. Feel free to get creative when sharing your review link. We’ve seen pros print it on the back of business cards, share it in text messages, and post it on their social media accounts. To read more about how to Get reviews, check out our article in the Help Center. And be sure to let us know what’s working and what isn’t. Your feedback helps us make Thumbtack an even better place to find customers and grow your business.

Community Veteran

Thanks for your post, @gbjj!

To your first point, we're doing more and more to provide customers with the average price for their job upfront, so that they don't submit a request just to get a price.  Hopefully this helps!

Community Expert

Hi @Alan, I'm excited to let you know that adding photos and videos is something that's available. Just follow the steps listed in this article here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/editing-my-photos-videos-and-audio.

Community Veteran

This is a really cool idea! Thanks for sharing, @JohnnyComfort!

Community Veteran

@Monzo, this is an awesome suggestion! And yes, we created this Community so that you all can help each other out!

So feel free to start a discussion thread about any topic you'd like right on the communite homepage (community.thumbtack.com).  Hopefully some of your fellow pros will weigh in!

Thanks again!

Community Veteran

Thanks so much for these suggestions, @ethanwwm! These are awesome!

Community Veteran

Wow! That's some list of accomplishments, @crystali! We're lucky to have you on Thumbtack!

Community Veteran

Hi, @CMTO! Thanks for posting!

Did you see this thread in the Community on this topic?

Do the recent changes address your concerns?

https://community.thumbtack.com/t5/Forum/Attention-Book-Editors/m-p/2289/highlight/true#M465

Active Community Member

I felt the same way because I realized, clients were not going to go to my Profile where I do have videos I've uploaded. So I put them in the introductory letter I send out.

In the beginning, I sent them inside a Word attachment but I had to upload them in YouTube first. Copy the YouTube format, then paste it in a Word document and send it as an attachment. That way, they would see my videos immediately instead of hunting for them. I had to remember, some of my clients are beginners on the computer and I had to leave big bread crumbs for them to follow.

Then I realized I could copy & paste the YouTube format directly into the intro letter. That was even easier but still a pain because I'd have to go back to YouTube to find them, copy & paste them. So I singled them out & even made new videos and put them someplace where I could just copy & paste them in the Intro Letter.

That's the only way at this point, you'll get to your clients to watch your work until they overhaul Thumbtack again.