Let's talk about your profile

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
36 491 8,725

Hey! I’m Carson, and I’m the Product Manager responsible for profiles.

At Thumbtack, we’re always working to help you get hired more. Using your Thumbtack profile to showcase your business and the quality service you provide is one of the best tools you have in your toolbelt.

You told us it’s important to highlight what sets your business apart, and we heard you! Here’s a glimpse at some of the upcoming features you can expect to see on your profile:

• Soon, you’ll be able to highlight past projects, link to social media, and display your past and current Top Pro status. You’ll also be able to tell customers the payment methods you accept so they know what to expect at the end of the project. These changes help customers get an even better sense of your style and what it’s like to work with you.
  • We’ll be improving the way images and reviews appear so you can be confident in what customers see when they visit your profile. Our goal is to give you the chance to put your best foot forward.
  • As we go, we’ll make improvements to how you visually display your work and tell your story on your profile. You’ll have the opportunity to customize what’s included in your service and show off your credentials and awards. Ultimately, we want your Thumbtack profile to be your go-to online identity for your business.

We’re working hard to get there. But we want to hear from you.  

What features would you like to see in your profile? And what questions do you have about the features above?

Share your thoughts and ideas below. I’m excited to hear them!

491 responses
Community Newcomer

I think the way you do profiles is fine, I just wish the clients were asked to share a picture of the job they want done.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  Or, I wish I could ask for them to upload pictures or send me one without being charged by thumbtack.

Community Regular

Not all services are reasonable for the 25 mile radius. 

Having people find me with the "I'm willing to travel 25 miles" option is ridiculous. I get responses from people who don't realize I'm an hour away from them. Thumbtack can't reasonably think that there's a decent amount of people who would drive 60 minutes, take a 30 minute lesson, and then drive 60 minutes home. This is so simple to fix by just changing 25 miles to something more reasonable (like 10 miles) that the fact that this hasn't been done feels almost intentional and predatory.

Community Newcomer

I would like to add mp3s or audio files to my profile since I am in the audio and music business. In the beginning I could, but there has been a glitch in the system for several years where one cannot add audio examples to a profile. The way it is set up now is that you have to use a youtube link. Thumbtack says it accepts Soundcloud links but it does not. I am unable to post audio samples of my work. Therefore, my profile is weak and incomplete. I have called many times to report and correct this issue and to seek guidance, but the customer service reps/programmers have never offered a solution. I gave up almost a year ago or more and have not updated my profile as a result. It seems to me to be a very simple fix.

Douglas Stevens, Creative Audio & Music

@karenlake You're right that there's no easy way to see what your instant quote looks like to a customer.  That's definitely a good idea, and something we'll think about.

There is the option to take a look at your public profile and see the customer view for those cases where you send a normal quote. To do this log in, click profile, and then hit "view as customer" (desktop) or, "preview" (in app).

@Atlasmash Give our help center article a look through regarding license: Managing My License. It'll let you know what we can verify and who to email if you have license specific questions. As for uploading pictures, I get it. Uploading multiple pictures could make things easier. It's one by one right now, just to make sure we're getting the best quality. 

hey @chefstable820 we can help with that! Can you send us a screenshot of what your email is saying? Then we can help get you where you need to go. 

@​​​​​​TQC_Mechanical you can actually add pictures of your technicians now in the media section of your profile. You can even create pictures with their credentials as well. Check out this link:

https://help.thumbtack.com/article/editing-my-photos-videos-and-audio

@ConnectiveCnsl this makes a lot of sense and I can see it being very beneficial. Right now, you're correct. We only have the option for "local" (meaning you travel / they travel within a certain radius) or "by phone or internet" which places you all across the U.S.. A workaround I've seen in situations where license are required, is pros will create separate profiles. You can check out the details on doing this HERE

@CindyRyan We can't combine profiles at this time, but thank you for the suggestion! 

@LauraM You have valid questions and concerns, so I'm glad you were able to figure out how to post in here! You're also always welcome to give us a call at 800-948-2034 and we can walk you through how we work. HERE are other ways to contact support. Wanted to touch on notifications and how your incharge of what type you receive. For example, if you are getting too many on your phone, you can switch to only receive notification via email: https://www.thumbtack.com/profile/notifications.

@gogogo This is definitely a great suggestion and something we hear from people that travel or are willing to travel a lot in throughout the country. If you're looking to get jobs outside of that 150-mile radius I'd recommend looking into creating a few other profiles for cities that you visit often. Just be aware that reviews you have already will only exist and have to stay in your original profile. To add another profile you can follow these steps: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/creating-separate-accounts-for-my-business.

RickAtKnowWare  We took a look in your settings and you could potentially make some adjustments to help you filter those type of requests. If you login, go to settings, and then job preferences you can manage your jobs a bit more specifically. Let us know if you need more help!

@BeckyWright @bscott220 have you given any thought to creating separate accounts for each service you offer? Take a look here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/creating-separate-accounts-for-my-business and see if this is something that would make sense for you.

@dennishicks that's a fantastic idea about having an inductory video or a videoof you giving an example of a lesson. While we don't have that automatically set up for you, it is something you're able to upload yourself. HERE is the Help Center article on uploading videos to your profile.

Carolellis, you actually can add video to your profile right now! This article will explain: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/editing-my-photos-videos-and-audio. If you have other questions on how to add media, let us know. 

Community Newcomer

Hi, Jason,

No, I hadn't seen the thread. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Shortly after I posted my suggestion, I logged onto my account and felt heartened when I saw that the word "Editing" had been added again. Thanks for listening to the Community on this!

@mark can you send us more detail as to what is specifically happening here? 

@mentalmediator these are some great points that you bring up for a service so specific as yours. These suggestions will be helpful as we work to specify things for certain services and professions. Something that could help in the mean time for #1 would be sure to point out in the intro section how your pricing works, and that you don't accept insurance as payment.

@WoodiVent1962 I defer to you as what would best showcase your talents. I think whichever video would get the closest footage would probably be best. Once you get that all set, check out out this link to upload your new media!

@2020HomeStaging ooh that's great feedback! A work around I'm seeing for this (even if you're not on Instant Match) is adding this pricing info to your profile.

@SRL In your account, under travel preferences you can edit your settings so you won't continue to get those requests that are further than you would like to go. If you need help changing those, let me know. Also, you have the option to add video to your profile right now. Here is a link that will show you how. 

@Towerscarpetaz good news: you can 🙂 How to Upload Videos

Community Newcomer

That's a great idea, however if I am remote in both states the same issue presents itself regardless of how many profiles I create.

Thx

Hey there @barbsfitforlife, there are two options for this situation. First, there's a travel preference option for "by phone or internet." When this option is selected, you'll receive requests from all over the U.S.. This is only available in certain categoies that are able to be done over the phone or by internet, so depending on what your category is, it may not be available. The other option (which I've seen a lot of pros do) is create separate profiles in major cities which you can learn more about doing here.

Hey there @barbsfitforlife, there are two options for this situation. First, there's a travel preference option for "by phone or internet." When this option is selected, you'll receive requests from all over the U.S.. This is only available in certain categoies that are able to be done over the phone or by internet, so depending on what your category is, it may not be available. The other option (which I've seen a lot of pros do) is create separate profiles in major cities which you can learn more about doing here.

@lsepeds part of this might've had something to do with you Advanced Settings. It's located at the bottom of your services page and has options to received related job types. I got this turned off for you now. However, I'd recommend still going into your Job Preferences to make sure everything is to your liking. Just follow these steps on a desktop or mobile web browser:

1. Start at your Services Page.

2. Click on the service you'd like to make edits to.

3. Click "edit" next to Job Preferences.

4. Here you'll see a bunch of additional questions regarding what you do. I'd suggest going through each to make sure you're receiving the best jobs for you.

Let me know if you have any questions. You can also go to our Help Center for more info.

@FlatIronFarm To be clear are you asking about linking your Thumbtack account to your social media or the other way around and linking your social media to your profile? Also, feel free to take a look at our privacy policy here: hhttps://help.thumbtack.com/article/privacy-protection-policy

Community Regular
Hi Jordan.. I’m a health coach, and I also work as a personal trainer and nutritionist. I haven’t seen that option to get US leads for those professions. Do you know if they are included? If not, is there a way to include them so I can start getting national leads? Thanks!
Community Regular

Thought about it, just haven't looked into doing it. Thanks for the reminder.

Community Newcomer

Hello Carson,

I would appreciate your help.  I am very new to Thumbtack and your Employer resists to making changes.

Without this changes, you will have many problems and you already now the company is not functioning very well.

I have sent message after message that I cannot change or remove the title of my company and the edit button does not correct or does not work.  Whoever is your tech support still don't "understand" your business and

set it up like it is a tech support.  There are many nuances which no one is getting.  Why can't I change the name  of my business?  I would like to change it to "Anne's Therapeutic Massage, Skin Care, and Health and Wellness Coach"

I have no idea where the location is to type in my profile for Therapeutic Massage and House/Pet Sitting Services.  I am new and your Business is too automated and the people who are setting up this System do not understand the difference between different jobs.

It's rediculous for Pros to accept your setup.  I have spent a whole day figuring out what to do to set up my profile.

You also do not make any corrections because it's too automated and you do not seem to check your Tech Master's work set up.

Respectfully,

Annerose Kmoch

Adelunde123@gmail.com

619 874-8523

Community Newcomer

OK, I am glad you ask.  For example you have a limited section under Massage, there is for example "Watsu" which is an important treatment for many people, and the treatment is in warm water with a bathing suite on.  Check it out on the WEB.

You do not correct errors or sentence structure for bilingual people.  I am a German national, but still lack to be perfect in writing Summaries or essays.  Your company makes enough money providing this service for the money you are receiving.

You sent prewritten/preprinted letters instead of responding to what the Pro really needs to know.

You are sending me a whole page and then tell me to customer support.  I was there with no help from you!

Tell me where and how to delete Derma Care and put in the name of my new company name, and also remove Annerose Kmoch because it also needs to be deleted but the delete button ignores my request.

At least you have figured out how to send you a message.

Respectfully,

Annerose Kmoch

Hi @Adelunde123, I recently responded to your post here. However, there are a couple additional points you bring up here that I want to address.

If you want to change your business name, just follow these steps:

1. On a desktop or mobile web browser, go to your Profile page: https://www.thumbtack.com/profile/dashboard.

2. Looks like you have two profiles, so you'll want to select the one you wish to edit.

3. Once you've selected a profile, next to the business name you'll see an option to "Edit," click there.

4. From there, you'll have the ability to edit your business name. Make sure to hit Save after any changes.

You mentioned having difficulty with this. Are these the steps you've taken? If so, was there some sort of error message about not being able to save the business name?

I understand there's a lot to take on as a new professional and using Thumbtack can be confusing. This is why our Help Center was create. This article on editing your profile can be of great help: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/editing-my-profile

Community Newcomer

Hello,

I am still waiting for a response from you how to correct a heading for a profile because the Edit Button does not seem to work, and I have sent you several messages because I would like to receive some messages for quotes from you to customers.  

You have my Credit Card number and I only will accept messages on my computer not on my telephone. Please DO NOT provide my telephone number or use it for messages.  Because my telephone even though it is a Samsung, and service with T-mobile, the sound is very poor.

I will only communicate with Clients per e-mail.

The question is, how will you charge me if I don't respond to Clients by telephone?  What system is in place you do not use or abuse my credit card, like one Pro wrote you deducted $30.00 and he never got any jobs.

Please explained as soon as possible.

Respectfully,

Annerose Kmoch

Adelinde123@gmail.com

I  

I shared steps for editing the business name in my post above. If you're still having issues, I'd suggest checking out these trouble shooting steps (they may seem simple but can make a big difference): https://help.thumbtack.com/article/basic-mobile-web-troubleshooting.

You're in control of how you get notified. On your notification page there's the option for by phone, email, or if both are turned off you'll just log into your account and view requests there: https://www.thumbtack.com/profile/notifications.

We charge for the connection. This means you will be charged the first time a customer reaches out to you by sending you a message on Thumbtack, scheduling an appointment with you through Thumbtack, or if they mark you as hired on Thumbtack. Once we make the connection, getting the hire is up to you. I'd recommend double checking your weekly budget and making sure it's set how you like. Once the budget is hit, we will stop connecting you with customers for that week: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/set-my-budget

You have a lot of valid questions and concerns about getting started. Sometimes it's easiest to speak versus message. Feel free to give us a call at 800-948-2034. Phone support is available Monday - Friday 7am to 8pm Mountain Standard Time.

Community Newcomer

I am desperately wishing we could put our drafts for quotes in a different order.    I would like to group them for different age students and needs.  Each category or age level needs different issues addressed.

I like to personalize each age group according to their needs and request with a slightly different formula.  But I have a terrible time looking through all my drafts to find the right one.   I have been resorting to editing them on Grammarly.

It would help to at least have a search system for my drafts so I  could use keywords to find the right one.

Community Veteran

Yes... I keep paying for people who say, "Do you have any samples of your work?", when I have 186 images in my gallery! Somehow people can't see my gallery!

Or, I quote a price and detail what's included and they write to me, "What's your price and what's included?".

But I'm told that is a conversation starter and shows they are interested. Why am I paying to re-send a copy of the quote that they have in their hands for free? This is an ongoing issue! They apparently can't access my gallery and arent' seeing my quotes!

Community Newcomer
Hi
Is it possible some how connect our reviews to yelp
Community Newcomer
All of pro have real picture so that customer knows who is real person who past background checks
Community Newcomer

I've left feedback and also phoned.  I'd like to see the option for bagpipes and scotish music in the entertainment section please.  The options you have are too generic.

Community Newcomer

Well right now I have a review just now saying he wants to put me out of business. Can you please help me with that. Thanks

Community Newcomer

To add to the discussion:  I haven't been with you (Thumbtack long), and I'm also just starting my business. And so I know that there are many more talented photographers with references and committment to Thumbtack, that look like a better choice than myself. And I get that. But it order for me to survive Thumbtack, I just can't be paying you for consideration. At this point, I haven't been hired much but already paid you plenty to decide to quit. Unless you have a system where you don't pay if you don't get hired, I can't afford you. And that you actually get hired because the new system doesn't work either. I'm just paying more to communicate with the person, who then decides to move on. I've been eager to make things work, but at this point, I don't see a future with Thumbtack. Thank you.

Community Regular

Hi Carson,  I realize that you folks deal with a very wide range of businesses and that one size does not fit all.   But it would help me and , I think all your music pros if we could attach an audio file to our profile and our quote.  Your people say we should use a link to you tube , but that  is not as good as if they had it right there.  Also a good video is very expensive, thousands, and a cheap video presents a poor , uncomplementary impression.  But most of us do have a good sound recording we could easily attach.   Most people who hear me , hire me.   Also, within the music pros section it would be good if you had a category for singers.  Think of how large a segment of the entertainment business that is.  It seems odd to me that you have categories for baloon artists, contorsionists , even singing telegrams, but not for singers, a vastly larger category.  You used to show  a price range as part of the customers request.  I liked that.  It made it easier to see if I should bid on a job.  It would be great if you would bring that back.  Please consider making these simple changes and make many of us a lot happier and more successful.

@amizarif this could be a great idea since linking reviews in this way isn't something that's available at the moment. 

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee

@Horner35, thanks for the suggestion to upload multiple photos at one time. We’re always looking for ways to make uploading photos quick and easy so you can showcase your hard work and start meeting customers. Keep your eyes peeled for future updates here.

Also, you can currently link to your business webpage in your profile! Just go to your profile settings and click the blue “Add” button next to "Website."

Thanks again for the feedback!

cc: @mmmills@Adam@JustNjoysb@Atlasmash@RachelHeimerman@ethanwwm@DannyPhung

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee

Thanks, @MikaTanaka! Using drag and drop to organize your media is a great idea. Your time is valuable, and I understand why you’d want to spend more of it impressing customers with your profile than arranging photos on it. Be on the lookout for updates here and keep sharing your ideas!

cc: @KennyGoldberg@BrianCImage@cheshiredave@jbillups@LexiAssist@IkeaPut2Gether@moonlitmedia

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee

Thanks for this suggestion, @Jb0070! Currently, when a customer views your quote, he or she can click into your profile.  On a desktop, we show parts of your profile next to your quote, too. But we hear you on surfacing more content from your profile, to help you stand out and get hired.  Your profile is one of the best tools you have to showcase your business and the quality service you provide. Keep your eyes peeled for future updates here; it’s something we’re always working on. And please keep sharing your ideas!

Adding the other pros who raised similar suggestions: @Brianna@krelliott4@mmmills@ChefJaredPierre@Brandon76@Sg@Marshaleigh@lrramos

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee

Thanks so much for your post, @tshon! And thanks for sharing your website; you do some incredible work!

Customers want to see what you can do, and you want to show them. That’s why we’re working on ways to help you share photos of your work seamlessly, while making sure they look their best on your profile.

Here are some of the ways we are working to improve media on Thumbtack:

• Within the next month your Thumbtack profile will support high-quality images, so that customers can come to your profile and see the images in the original size and quality you intended.
  • Over the next six months, we’ll continue working on ways to surface the right photos for the right customers at the right time. This means a customer will see the photos that align with their project and showcase your skills. And they can always view the other photos you’ve shared if they want to see more. Stay tuned for more info!
  • We’re also currently developing the ability for you to display past projects on your profile to help customers get a full picture of what it’s like working with you. Your past projects will include surfacing the most relevant reviews and images to highlight the experience and quality of work you provide. We’re excited to show you what we have planned on this front, too!

We'll post updates here in the Community as we have them.  And in the meantime, keep the ideas coming! 

Adding other pros who raised similar suggestions and ideas: @BillPersons@JustBobF@VACGroupInc@Laholt3@asweetlifetx@Onthegofitness@Buildbodylab@kitcollins@TylerVarnell@Twelve12@RachelHeimerman@Graceee@dfranklin@ThumbtackCelia@shemesh511@rez90@luxemonroe@Jessi801@Tommy60@tcbischof@Jolli@QZPixels@Lgidopefilms@DannyPhung@mwacht@HKrieger@garymp62

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee

Thanks for this suggestion, @jodphoto!

We know our pros are talented, and many offer more than one service on Thumbtack. We’re working to improve profiles so that the right information is surfaced based on what a customer is looking for. This means customers see the reviews, photos, and past projects that are most relevant to their job.

Our goal is always to help you get hired by putting your best foot forward.

Stay tuned for more info on this front! We'll share it here in the Community.

Adding other pros who raised this: @Troy@mkatzdesigns@AugustAlley@dfranklin

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee

Thanks for this, @Richardson!

We understand that showing customers your availability by day is very important. It is something we are working on and plan to launch in the next six months. Keep your eyes peeled for that.

Additionally, there’s a lot of work to be done around integrating your calendar with other platforms and enabling appointment bookings through Thumbtack.  All of this is on our radar, and we’ll continue to share updates here in the Community as they become available.

Thanks so much for your feedback! Please keep it coming!

Other pros who talked about availability and calendar: @JimInDallas@Mjr@TSMB@jdrista@LEP@jonturino@aaphotopgh@tomdans@Mast234@Return2lifeMMT@clutterqueen@BisousBooth@eshtak12@GrayHouseDogs@BarryKerr@djNyceMan@BodyworkerMel@JLDesigns@The-Write-Mann@monkifoto@shaorn@MichelleK@LexiAssist@Lgidopefilms@pebowman@patty5357

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee

Thank for this, @msuria!

Becoming a Top Pro is a big deal, and we want you to share it with your customers. As we speak, we’re working on the best ways to highlight all your Top Pro achievements, and we’re almost there. We’ll let you know when this is available for you! Keep coming back to the Community for the latest. 

@spanish55@Buildbodylab@kevinzcomras@Mj442k@Twelve12@CustomFit@Pavemint1 - adding you all here, since you raised similar suggestions!

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee

Great suggestion, @LanceS! This is something we’re looking at.  Will keep you posted as we have more information to share.