Thanks for participating in the Search Results Q&A!

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer
4 94 5,120

This week, we wrapped up our Q&A about the new Search Results experience. We got over 600 posts with great questions and feedback from our pros, so thank you for your engagement and participation!

We know there have been a lot of changes lately and we know it’s not perfect . That’s why your feedback is so critical, so we can keep working to make Thumbtack better!

Our product manager, Chris, wanted to share a little more about the new search results experience:

Check here to see all your great posts with answers from Chris. Take a look! Congratulations to the our raffle winner, @Kmossphoto - you’ll see the credits appear in your account shortly!

Keep coming back to the Community to share your ideas and get the latest news and information about product updates! We’ll let you know here as we implement some of your great suggestions, and thanks again for participating in the Q&A!

94 responses
Active Community Member
I find it very challenging that I now have lost complete control over who I see and the business that comes my way. According to TT, since I a TT Pro and have Instant replies turned on, I am higher on the “list to be seen”, therefore should be getting seen more. That’s great, and according to my stats, I was viewed 843 this month, up by 219 from last month. However my leads are down by 1 to 17, and of course my savings are down by only $23.
However, I could at least see the leads and fight for them. I could send them messages or see what exactly was happening with my competition. When I spoke to a TT via text last night (7+ hr response time) to say I have been getting no jobs to bid on since November 15, and maybe 7 inquiries (again 5/7 just checking, just wondering, non-committal and one completely out of what I do zone), ink to be told what I stated above and she would, like everything else, “pass the information along because it’s so valuable in shaping what we do here at TT.” You have effectively made TT useless to me is what you’ve done. None of the filters for customers ever have anything on them now, I can’t bid, I get no quotes, no pending jobs...so I feel as though I am being punished and powerless. I’ve lost track of the number of times TT have overhauled the way they do things in 16 months. You have effectively cut me off at the knees and crippled me financially at a crucial time of year over the last 3 weeks. I was strongly advised to NOT turn off instant match as I will see fewer matches. At 17/843, you’re not helping me at all. You’re pushing me out.
Active Community Member

Amen Brother ! Once again, you're Right on the Money Steve. "They" are driving this place right off a Cliff and it's a  **bleep** shame! It used to work Flawlessly. And Yeah, I do understand how Thumbtack's Revenue has changed in the last little while. So does my Accountant. (LoL) He's screaming for me to get out of here.

We have an Old Saying around here : "Some for the Bulls - Some for the Bears - NONE for the Pigs"  Thumbtack Please take notice. When you see somebody about to jump off a Bridge you're "supposed"to try and help them right? 

I sent a woman a Quote for a 2 week Board & Train for her dog (because that's what she asked for) with a price of $2850. A few days go by and I hear absolutely nothing. Then finally a response. She asks (now sit down for this) "How much for a one week ??? I should have just bought her a Calculator.  Heck for what Thumbtack charged me for this mathematically challenged woman.......(without my even sending a response - didn't want to dignify the question with an answer) But I COULD have bought her 4 Calculators and Still come out ahead from the rock and a hard place that "They" put me in ! And Now...... I'm told "They" want to monitor my Text Messages and Phone Calls, in addition to my emails, to charge me again for something they have already charged my for. Out of Line and Absurd _ Get a Grip Thumbtack !

Let me know Your Thoughts ? But THIS Ain'tWorkin' Anymore........and it's a **bleep** Shame.....because at one time it "truly" did. AND worked Well At That !  What Are They Thinking ??? Sure Beats Me....I wonder how they would treat me IF I wasn't a long time Top Pro (haha) It's absurd. Your Thoughts?

Community Newcomer
Thsnk you for csndidly sharing your Pro experience. I have been watching TT and considering signing up for Pro. Sounds like I would be better off investing my time and bidding on jobs manually, rather than giving up control to TT and let them charge me for bogos and worthless leadsthat they pick for me.
I have personally hired people off of TT and it was a good experience as a consumer.
Thsnk you again for you insight.
Community Expert

@fitcap if you're looking to share that information with customers it will depend on if you're using Promote or not. IF you are using Promote, it will be crucial for that well-written description of your services and pricing to be in your profile, and then if customers have questions then you can reiterate things as needed. I'd actually recommend having that in your profile either way. 

If you are not using Promote you'll still be able to pick jobs to quote on from your Jobs feed, and you can send quotes as you please along with any messages you'd like, including what you've written here.

Active Community Member
You did not directly answer my question......
What I requested only applies if I use promote yes or no?
That is ll I need to know ....
I have a very professional up-to-date inclusive profile there is nothing I need to include that is not there already.
My query is whether customers see MY COMPLETE PROFILE even if I am not using promote.....
I am sorry you guys have to go around in circles + that you're not honest with your pros...
A SIMPLE YES OR NO ...
Do customers SEE MY COMPLETE I repeat..MY COMPLETE PROFILE
if I am not using promote
YES OR NO PLEASE
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for clarifying and I'm sorry we didn't answer your question @fitcap. Yes, customers can still see your complete profile even if you don't use promote. 

Active Community Member
Lydia, stop deleting replies from unhappy Pros!! No one is using foul language, we're just expressing our displeasure with your new system! Deleting replies isn't going to change that, it only makes us more frustrated, and we trust Thumbtack less and less.

Do you know WHY so many Pros are unhappy and panicking? Because many of them used to use TT as their primary lead source. When you change something so that it LITERALLY becomes unusable for your customers, (that would be us, the Pros) people are bound to get upset.

Thumbtack appears to be digging in its heels and standing by this disastrous decision. But successful companies do the opposite. They acknowledge when a new product or venture is unsuccessful, they stop, they change course, and redirect to a better product. IMHO, Promote is worse than New Coke. (Ok, maybe not worse, but at least Coca Cola was smart enough to bring back Coke Classic after the outcry!!)
Community Expert

@GT456 we want to hear from pros and hear what they have to say. Even when their comments express that they've been experiencing some frustrations with the changes. However, those concerns and frustrations need to be shared in a constructive manner. Any posts that violate our Community Guidelines will be up for removal or edits.

Active Community Member
Kameron, these comments HAVE been shared in a constructive manner. I know this because I receive emails with the replies from Pros, and I read them in my email inbox. But then when I click on the link to see the conversation within TT, those replies have already been deleted. Thumbtack is trying to control the narrative and make us think that there are only a few Pros who are upset. This is deceitful, and it's not helping.

The only reason I'm still here is that I'm hoping Thumbtack will realize that their new system is a disaster, and change course. Right now, it's not viable for me because the cost per quote is insane, AND many of the leads are sub-par. Thankfully, I have other lead sources, and that's where my money is going.
Active Community Member

This is your new promotion, which I just don't understansd.

"Appearing in search results is free. You only pay for leads – the first time a customer reaches out to you. A new customer might contact you by messaging, calling or booking you. But you’ll only pay the first time someone contacts you – any other conversations or appointments with that customer are free."

So, if a customer contacts me, even if requesting a job I cannot do, I still have to pay?? That just doesn't make sense to me. Why would I want to sign up for that? Please explain.....

Community Expert

@cranichik customers will be able to find you based on the jobs you do listed on your Services page. Then even further based on all of the settings you have selected or not for travel, job preferences, and pricing. The availability that you have listed on your Pro Calendar will also come into play. None of the services that you have listed are using Promote, which also means that you'll be able to see the details of each job and what it will cost to reply all up front. You'll also still see jobs coming in through your Jobs page for you to choose to quote on or not and only pay when the customer replies.

Active Community Member

Dearest Thumbtack, Here is yet another post that I wish I could kudo 100 times. And I mean that in the most constructive and positive way possible. @GT456 this was a very good response and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's noticed all the disappearing comments (not just my own). I've had other users that were voicing valid and legitimate concerns tell me through private message that they were bordering on being banned from the forums..... I already said I was done, but then I saw your post in my inbox and I just couldn't help but reply again.... best of luck to you@GT456. Great Response! 100 Kudos from me!

Active Community Member

@cranichik  Welcome to the new world of PROMOTE !   If you've set up your profile, filled in a budget and have Promote turned on, you're going to be paying for leads, whether you want them or not.    Read a little bit under the Payment posts, it's been discussed for weeks....except TT never put out a notice to the pros, that they would be fiscally responsible for a client contacting them. It's only been discussed here in the community

Active Community Member
Kameron, you're not listening to us. The reason Pros aren't using Promote, is because the details that clients provide for their job ARE NOT ENOUGH. It might "technically" match our profiles, but there are MANY jobs a Pro would have to pass on, for various reasons, even if they "fit" our criteria. And only the Pro can decide that, NOT Thumbtack!

And regarding search, I now don't even show up if a client searches, because I deleted my credit card from Thumbtack. I currently still have credit with TT, and once that is used up, I do not want to spend any more money. But because you no longer have my credit card info (because I refuse to allow arbitrary charges), I no longer show up in search. That's ridiculous! But I DO NOT trust TT to "decide what leads are best for me", which means not using Promote, and now not showing up in Search results. The only thing left is for me to send leads through the Jobs tab, which has been a complete and utter failure.

Your previous system made sense to everyone, and was fair. Your current system is complicated, arbitrary, expensive, and appears to make money for only one entity, and that's TT.
Active Community Member

So, this was the description of today's work:

We are upgrading our basement, for that we need an electrician

This is going to cost me $22 to respond.  Perfect example of why I don't use Promote.  This could be anything from; 'we need one receptacle installed', to ' we want to finish our basement over'.  no way to know without spending the $22.  This used to cost me $5 and I'd answer 3 or 4 of these a day, then chose which one I wanted to pursue.  The new costing/promote system is totally geared toward the Pro's spending their money to finance TT; it has nothing to do with our clients or the success of the pros.

update. the client contacted 4 pros within 2 minutes; I would assume, mostly through the promote feature.  $88 in 2 minutes, if the cost was in fact only $22....it may have been more according to recent inquiries with TT.

Active Community Member

@GT456 Exactly! People leave out so much information when requesting. It makes no sense that we have to pay, only to find out that we can't, or don't want, to do the job. All TT has to do is edit the request form so that people have to fill in specific info. I keep telling them that, but they don't care.

Community Newcomer

I used Thumbtack a couple years back to upload photos and a description of a project that needed to be completed and this was a great way to see who was interested and have people bid on the project.

Now I try and "create" a project and I have to go one by one through each person and request a quote?

Your new method of taking in projects makes you just another Yelp or Yellowpages or Google Reviews. Very disappointed in the changes. 

Community Newcomer

Hi Thumbtack Pro Community,

I am a 3-year Thumbtack user, and Thumbtack has helped my business SOAR during that time: the dozens of clients that I have worked with as a result of Thumbtack have been an amazing, ideal fit for my specializations. 

That said, I am absolutely DISAPPOINTED with the new "Search Results" system, and it has completely ruined my previously incredible experience with Thumbtack. I used to receive hundreds of leads per month, sign several perfect-fit clients, and invest thousands of dollars into Thumbtack per year as one of my strongest modes of lead generation. Now, I literally receive NO leads, I mean ZERO, and have not signed a client through Thumbtack for 2 months. And literally NOTHING has changed on my end...except that I have more positive reviews and a stronger profile than ever. 

The new system is TERRIBLE, and now I am seriously considering investing the marketing capital that I previously, happily invested in Thumbtack, elsewhere. I will have to if nothing changes. 

The old system worked magnificently. Why the change? 

The obvious problems that I see with this new system:

1. I (and all Pros) are limited to the geographic area affiliated with their address. For those of us who work via phone, internet, or Skype, this reduces our potential client base exponentially! Downsizing from the ENTIRE U.S. to a single area - even as large as Los Angeles (my new, "limited" demographic) has a hugely negative impact on our reach, and on the number of clients that we could otherwise potentially connect with and serve. 

2. Even though I am PAYING to "Promote my profile" - I have still received ZERO leads. Again, my profile is outstanding, I have dozens of rave reviews...and still...

3. My niche is in serving women with specific personal and professional needs, and I used to be able to use discretion when I received a "Job request" and only reply to the leads that I believed could be a great fit. Now, there is no specificity of connection - it is all left up to the Lead to do the heavy lifting and research.

4. Assuming that this is how it words on the user-end of the process: It is scientifically proven that when people have too many options or choices, they tend to feel overwhelmed and either not make a choice at all, or make a choice that isn't the best fit (to reduce overwhelm). With the old system, the Lead only received 5 responses, which is a managable number to sort through, AND they were able to tell who responded first, thus establishing initial trust and rapport. Now, Thumbtack is pressuring the Lead to make this choice themselves, and they likely have little idea as to what they should be looking for or how to discern between professionals in the first place. 

5. With the old system, we could communicate to the Lead via their name, and customize our response to their particular inquiry and needs. The personalization was very helpful in connecting the right clients with the right professional. Now, again, it is like casting a wide net and generalizing / dehumanizing people's needs. 

6. I do not receive notifications for the "Jobs" that happen to make it through after the initial "Search Result" process. I have to manually go to "Jobs" 15x a day to see if there's a new job there for me to respond to, which their sometimes is. It would be nice to receive a notification. 

All of this being said, I just don't get it. I don't get how this new system is benefitting the Lead/potential customer OR the Professional. If I'm missing something, please let me know, but I've already consulted with 3 Thumbtack team members and I was literally told to "just wait, you'll get leads eventually." No. This is my thriving business. My passion. My way of helping people improve their lives. I'm not going to wait. I'm going to go elsewhere if nothing changes. 

TLDR: Please change back to the previous "pay to respond to leads" system that was in place for the past 3 years prior to October. The new system doesn't work. 

I look forward to any insight, help, and feedback from the Thumbtack team or community.

Thanks!

Community Regular
I am extremely unhappy with the changes that have been made in the last week or two. I have a cleaning business. Good reviews and hires. I never had a problem getting jobs on here before. I am getting No activity now. Something is off. Even though I am supposedly promoted and can’t bid on jobs and the frequency of jobs in my area is down 100% compared to last month. What is going on?
Community Expert

@ashglassml sorry to hear that you're noticing fewer contacts than before. Now that customers will be choosing to contact you from a list you'll want to do as much as you can to stand out. You've got some very great reviews already, you'll just want to work on gathering more to stand out in the market which averages on 13 reviews. The other thing that will help with where you show up in results is your response rate and time. You can learn more about how this is calculated and improving it HERE.

Community Regular
I would like to know how this new system will work, we will be in the research bank according to the locality and need of each client, for example "There are clients who are looking for a specific service with insurance and license, others who are looking for a common cleaning. for us a tool so that we can express each of our works that we have more experience. And if there will be a monitoring of those clients who ask a single question and do not manifest themselves anymore.
Community Regular

I know that it's impossible to prevent people from posting jobs just to see what's out there and gauging price.
But if potential customers provided a budget range, it would be useful in booking jobs. 

Also... I would sometimes quote lower if I knew I was available and if the job was close.

Maybe if there was a way to communicate to the customer that the price we are quoting is lower than our usual quote? So they see they are getting a bargain.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm glad you reached out @Winderson. We did a Q&A about our new search results that goes over how it works and what to expect. You can check that out here! If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a private message. 

Community Regular
I honestly do not like the new search results. Customers are not being selective. For, the most part, a prospective customer asks to receive a quote from everyone on the list, and then they look 4 they look at prices. Last week, I received a message from a customer, my prices are clearly outlined in my profile. After, we talked on the phone, he said I was too expensive. However, I didn’t raise my prices, from what is listed. I assumed he read my profile, since he said he was interested. It doesn’t seem fair to be charged for this. I can understand, if he didn’t choose me, for another reason, but it was based on price. The same thing happened 2x .
Community Newcomer

Scott

Good afternoon, heres my concern about how you are doing it.  Again, Thumbtack has made a decision to remove a mandatory budget from prosepective clients.  For me to sign on and get ranked, this is very similar to the problems that I had with instant match. Even though I would list that I would not and could not take jobs under a certain amount.  People were not reading and just clicking. I blew thru $800 before opting out.

I just talked with customer service and they say this is new, but you have not dealt with the budget issue. How  can I  sign up for something when I dont know what  people want to spend.  In our business EVERY job is different. We should and need to have the right to turn down jobs that are under a threshold if they dont work for us financially.  

Even in the regular thumbtack days, I was turning down 85% of the jobs because they didnt work financially.  But the 15% were worth going for.  Just because you are giving us a discount doesnt mean anything when the potential clients dont read the profiles and just click.

The market I am in  (Washington DC) and the business video production and streaming is one of the most competitive markets in the country.  If I am not in this seach then I have to reply manually and based on 5 years of doing this, I have 1 minute to make  a decision if I want to bid.

We all want Thumbtack to be profitable, but they continue to lose their way. This is just another way to gouge the vendors who dont know the quality of the leads

The simple way to fix this is to give every vendor a price threshold that they will consider jobs. This way if I am charged its at least for a client who is willing to spend the amont that I need.

I expect this to fall on deaf ears.  You dont seem to be talking with the people in the field. The customer service tries real hard but they have no access to the developers. The videography team leader is MIA and should be replaced.

There is a lot of  competition on the lead service area.  In my field you compete with Production Hub, Bark, Linked in pro finder

all of whom are doing a much better job that Thumbtack.  They all have their issues, but with Thumbtack I want to stay in the game but  its now basically an afterthought

Best  Dave

Community Regular

Serach results are good, but my concern is if a customer get's in touch with my business and I know nothing of the customer nor the job, would I be charged for the quote. Also would it be possibe for us pros to come up with general questions we would asked the client to learn more about the job. This way when the client contact the professional we can asked questions and know more about the job.

I guess if I was a customer and I needed a videographer to do a wedding and I was found in a search result, and I was contact and know nothing about the job. I understand they could see my profile,but as a professional we need more info from the client to provide good service.

Charles Banks

Community Regular
IT’S NOT WORKING!!!! I am a top pro for years! Almost 400 hires with 201 Five Star Reviews! Been with TT since 2011. It’s been downhill all the way for the last year since you tooIT’S NOT WORKING!!!! I am a top pro for years! Almost 400 hires with 201 Five Star Reviews! Been with TT since 2011. It’s been downhill all the way for the last year since you took away our ability to quote for ourselves. I am not alone here in my discontent. Do you read these comments??? Every time you ask for comments for instant match or pricing you get thousands of ALL NEGATIVE comments. I sincerely tried this “PROMOTE” (aka instant match). My take away is that it’s pay to play! My years of experience in TT SLONG EITH MY 400 hires and 201 FIVE STAR REVIEWS mean nothing. I’ve been told by TT that I am the most hired officiant in south Florida and I’ve seen other Officiant’s credentials and none can compare. In the real world I would be ranked #1. But, if I do not participate in PROMOTE or put in a low ball price, I’m listed on the second page after “pros” ( and I use that term loosely) who have 5 reviews. Ive dropped my price to compete with some of the newbies and bottom feeders but it still doesn’t work. My rank changes every day. You are either the best and the most hired with the most reviews or YOU ARE NOT. But if you participate in promote you can hope to get ranked higher than pros who have under 5 reviews. It’s pay by your rules and participate or be 25th even if you are first!!!!! I wouldn’t mind if the jobs were coming in but they are not. TT was 80%of my business for 5-6 years. Now it’s dead. No serious customers only customers who are prompted to click on “ARE YOU AVAILABLE FOR MY DATE” when clearly I am or they wouldn’t receive my info (per my calendar if that even works). To be charged so much money for someone to be prompted to ask a useless question is somewhat unethical. Why don’t you prompt them to click on my phone number instead???? That would determine a serious customer. If the click on my phone number then I know they want s discussion and I would hVd the Ability and the chance to sell myself. TT can not speak on our behalf. TTvoaints with a broad brush and thinks everything can work in every vendor category. Make them click on my phone number instead of prompting them to click ARE YOU AVAILABLE FOR MY DATE. Its just bad on every level. I got one cheap job on Promote and 7 charges for “ARE YOU AVAILABLE” so money wise, I am doing the one cheap job for free!!!!! It stinks. Your promote and ranking is dictating pricing for us and you’d better be low or you’re on the second or third page. I hope that you have noticed all the comments here from Pros who have gone to other sites such as Bark, GIGmasters and others. There are new ones like Bridalope and the Wedding Booker who have come to be from the need of wedding professionals who have lost much of their work because of the decline of business on TT. When you call these other sites they comment that they are inundated with ex Thumbtack pros expressing their discontent and frustration with the negative changes. Their advertising actually refers to the high priced leads that go nowhere- meaning TT without actually saying TT. We are frustrated. We’ve tried to cope with these changes. You ask but dont hear us!!!!!! Read!! So many real pros who have worked hard for their credentials on TT have joined other sites in hopes of recouping lost work on TT. PLEASE READ THESE COMMENTS! They are ALL NEGATIVE. GO BACK TI YOUR BEGINNINGS! IF IT AIN’T BROKE DON’T FIX IT! We miss our success on Thumbtack!!!!! k away our ability to quote for ourselves. I am not alone here in my discontent. Do you read these comments??? Every time you ask for comments for instant match or pricing you get thousands of ALL NEGATIVE comments. I sincerely tried this “PROMOTE” (aka instant match). My take away is that it’s pay to play! My years of experience in TT SLONG EITH MY 400 hires and 201 FIVE STAR REVIEWS mean nothing. I’ve been told by TT that I am the most hired officiant in south Florida and I’ve seen other Officiant’s credentials and none can compare. In the real world I would be ranked #1. But, if I do not participate in PROMOTE or put in a low ball price, I’m listed on the second page after “pros” ( and I use that term loosely) who have 5 reviews. Ive dropped my price to compete with some of the newbies and bottom feeders but it still doesn’t work. My rank changes every day. You are either the best and the most hired with the most reviews or YOU ARE NOT. But if you participate in promote you can hope to get ranked higher than pros who have under 5 reviews. It’s pay by your rules and participate or be 25th even if you are first!!!!! I wouldn’t mind if the jobs were coming in but they are not. TT was 80%of my business for 5-6 years. Now it’s dead. No serious customers only customers who are prompted to click on “ARE YOU AVAILABLE FOR MY DATE” when clearly I am or they wouldn’t receive my info (per my calendar if that even works). To be charged so much money for someone to be prompted to ask a useless question is somewhat unethical. Why don’t you prompt them to click on my phone number instead???? That would determine a serious customer. If the click on my phone number then I know they want s discussion and I would hVd the Ability and the chance to sell myself. TT can not speak on our behalf. TTvoaints with a broad brush and thinks everything can work in every vendor category. Make them click on my phone number instead of prompting them to click ARE YOU AVAILABLE FOR MY DATE. Its just bad on every level. I got one cheap job on Promote and 7 charges for “ARE YOU AVAILABLE” so money wise, I am doing the one cheap job for free!!!!! It stinks. Your promote and ranking is dictating pricing for us and you’d better be low or you’re on the second or third page. I hope that you have noticed all the comments here from Pros who have gone to other sites such as Bark, GIGmasters and others. There are new ones like Bridalope and the Wedding Booker who have come to be from the need of wedding professionals who have lost much of their work because of the decline of business on TT. When you call these other sites they comment that they are inundated with ex Thumbtack pros expressing their discontent and frustration with the negative changes. Their advertising actually refers to the high priced leads that go nowhere- meaning TT without actually saying TT. We are frustrated. We’ve tried to cope with these changes. You ask but dont hear us!!!!!! Read!! So many real pros who have worked hard for their credentials on TT have joined other sites in hopes of recouping lost work on TT. PLEASE READ THESE COMMENTS! They are ALL NEGATIVE. GO BACK TI YOUR BEGINNINGS! IF IT AIN’T BROKE DON’T FIX IT! We miss our success on Thumbtack!!!!!
Community Regular
I am not understanding how within 4 weeks I've only gotten 6 leads, this new update is not helping any of the TT Pros, as I saw on the Community page that there were 503 post and 95% of those posts people were upset about the changes Thumbtack has made.

Since we the pros are paying for Thumbtack in general does that mean that Thumbtack is going to listen to us and change it back to the old way since nobody is getting any new contacts?

I also have 10 people in my feed which states waiting to hear from you but then once I click the potential client it says waiting for the client to respond this is not helpful at all.
Active Community Member
I was just contacted by a client who wanted six recessed light fixtures installed. "How much per can?"
This guy contacted THIRTEEN pros, at $17 a shot....THIS is why promote only works for TT. This is a $600 job, tops, yet TT would have made $200+ if the 13 pros were on promote.
Promote, don't do it.
Community Regular

We should be able to use custom wording in our automated bids just like we can if we submit bids manually. I have written custom messages for each category of photography I provide that clearly explains to the potential client what I do and what they can expect. Why can't we do that with the auto bids? Instead the customer gets some generic wording that only describes what we'll do in basic terms and not completely. If I auto bid I get charged as soon as someone contacts me even if I'm not interested in the job, which I wouldn't have had to deal with if I saw what they wanted first and chose whether to contact them first or not.

Second issue is the number of bids customers get. It used to be 5 which seems manageable and reasonable. Now it's 15. Seriously. Can you imagine posting that you need a photographer or plumber and getting inundated with 15 bids? 

Community Expert

@CharlesL the only quotes that will now be sent out will be manually by pros when jobs come into their Jobs page. With those quotes, you can be as customized in your bid as you'd like. Automated quotes sent through Instant Match will no longer be taking place. Instead, most jobs that pros land will now be when a customer finds them through the search results page. They'll be able to find you based on the services you offer, preferences, availability, and your ranking. We encourage you to use some of the best information that you often included in those quotes in your profile. As it is now essentially your quote. I'll also mention that in many cases there will be even more than 15 pros shown on that list. The great part about this is that you'll be shown for free and only pay when customers reach out to you.

Community Regular

If that's the case, why is Instant Match still an option that I can turn on or pause and why am I getting charged instantly as soon as someone responds to an Instant Match bid?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@CharlesL instead of Instant Match, we now have promote. We made that change to better fit our search results system. Go here to learn more about how promote works and let me know if you have any other questions!

Community Regular

Works exactly the same way Instant Match does. An automated quote is generated and if they contact me based on that generic bid I can choose to contact them. There is no way for me to write custom text for those quotes.

Community Regular

TT used to be great.   I could pick and choose what jobs were right for me.  I could then customize my response, send a personal introduction and let my personality shine through.   TT kept me busy for almost two years.   Then you went and changed the whole format.  And it sucks.  Now I get charged for clients who just want to kick the tires.    I didn't mind paying TT for the OPPPORTUNITY to win business.  But now, in its new configuration, it's pretty much useless to me...and apparently to others as well.

Moderators, please, don't bother responding with the company line.  I know you're sticking with your new design, despite what your PROS are telling you.   But know that is your biggest mistake.  Sticking with something that your clients (that's US, your pros) are telling  you doesn't work for them.   It's a win/lose- you win (for a time) but the pros and ultimately you lose in the long haul.  You should be striving for a win/win, where EVERYBODY wins.     

Community Regular

So, this morning I got a request.    1st- You guys are making it seem like we are the only contractor that the customer has chosen.    $40 bucks for a water heater quote.    7 other people were also "chosen"    so if we all reply, thats almost 300 bucks that thumbtack is making, and half the time the homeonwer is just "curious about cost".     

It used to be a good system.  Only a set amount of people could bid,  now the homeowner can get as many quotes as they want.  The prices to bid were pretty fair.  But now?    $35 for a simple sink clog.    Im almost paying as much as my service call.   Which, I give free quotes to my local customers, so this isnt really working.   Am I the only one who feels as if the prices have gone up 400%, not to mention the amount of people who are bidding has gone up triple.   15.   FIFTEEN people can now bid on a single job.   When most of the time, most people are just looking for the cheapest price, not best quality.

Something is not right.    Thumbtack should go back to how was a few years ago.       

Community Regular
I have been reading through SO many comments on the Thumbtack pricing model today. Mostly because I actually have some time to dedicate to Thumbtack today. I started using this platform in summer of 2016 when I opened my floral design business. It was great at first! I would get leads, bid on the ones I wanted, spent the credits I wanted and replenished my credits when I ran out. With that system, I got a few high-quality leads. Some, were not as high-quality, but I still managed to make a profit. As a floral designer, clients don’t always understand ALL the work that goes into making floral arrangements and before, (during the credits era) I could at least jump on a call with these folks and show them my value and why floral costs as much as it does.

I completely understand that Thumbtack views this platform as a way to connect vendors to clients and it is the vendor’s responsibility to book the lead. However, you have made it COMPLETELY unfair for the vendors with all these changes. It has only been 2.5 years since I joined Thumbtack and I stopped using your platform completely almost a year ago!

From a floral designer’s perspective, instant match doesn’t work. There are WAY too many details that we Floral designers need to know in order to quote appropriately. I went from paying $4-7 per lead (in the credit era). to being charged $25-$38 with instant match and other “helpful” mechanisms Thumbtack has put in play.

I get it, the wedding industry can be a lucrative one so Thumbtack must think, if this person books this florist, they are potentially going to make thousands of dollars , so what’s $38? Right? Well no. Let me explain how ridiculous your pricing model is. At least for people in my field. I pay a monthly fee for my business to be listed on The Knot and on WeddingWire. I average between $5-$6 a day to be listed on these MAJOR wedding sites. Sites that have brought me profit in the thousands of dollars. If I paid Thumbtack $38/lead each time someone contacted me to get an idea of what flowers cost, I would be spending an average of $380/ month. That’s $4,560/ year on a POTENTIAL client. If you ask me, something is definitely not adding up here.

I came across an article where Thumbtack tries to explain the cost of flowers and on it, lists what people are spending on average. I have NO idea how vendors are making money with an average of $700-$1,000 for flower costs. The information is misleading and you are doing a disservice to clients by posting that information. I saw another article where Thumbtack is saying that photographers charge an average of $350 - $500? That’s insane! Based on what I read, you gather this information from what vendors are quoting. If that is the case, then the vendors quoting are not making any money and just using Thumbtack to get experience or Thumbtack is giving this data without having the full picture. For example, I get a lead and after speaking with them, they decide they only want to hire me for bouquets. I charge them $800. That’s what Thumbtack sees. To say that clients are spending that much on average for a full wedding is nothing short of insanity. Information like this is why the leads vendors are getting are no longer the quality leads we at one time had the chance of getting. Another reason why Thumbtack is loosing their vendors.

In summary, your pricing model has got to change if you want vendors like me to start using your platform again and the information you put out there for clients to see when it comes to pricing is in desperate need of accuracy. It’s a shame Thumbtack has chosen to take this path. As long as this is the chosen path, I’ll probably stay clear of giving you my hard earned money.
Community Expert

@SZelaya thank you for sharing your thoughts about our pricing along with your own. Florist is a category that we don't ask pros for prices in because of the wide differentiation in service like you've mentioned. In these cases, we still do recommend that pros do their best to give an outlined explanation of how their prices work in their profile. This will allow you to be a bit more descriptive to the customers about your pricing rather than just a blanket number. I can see that you've included some information about how your pricing works in your intro, which is great. I'd recommend working to expand on that just a bit further to give customers a better understanding of what goes into your pricing and expenses. Including your prices upfront also means you’re less likely to get customers who are “kicking the tires” just to get a sense of pricing.

If you can’t include any pricing at all, include a note on your profile about why your prices aren’t available. Once a customer reaches out, try to respond quickly with a personalized message and explain what you’d like to know about their project to provide an accurate quote.

I'll be passing along your feedback about our pricing and the secondary information you've mentioned. If you could send me a direct message including the link to that article I can give the appropriate team your thoughts on it.  

Community Regular

@Kameron  Private message with the link to the Thumbtack article was sent!

Community Newcomer

I continue to get notices from people who want me to contact them AND I’m getting charged for each one despite the fact that I don’t respond.  Furthermore, there is no real proof that this person is contacting me and not Thumbtack.  

Community Expert

@jimsignorelli I'm sorry to hear this. There appears to be some confusion in regards to how your account is set up. Currently, you are using Promote for both your services (Public Speaking Lessons and Marketing). Customers looking through the Search Results page who find you and want to reach out will be able to do so right away and the charge for the contact will be immediate. If you'd rather not have the customers be able to contact you right away, you can always pause Promote. With it paused you'll be able to see the lead as it comes in and choose to accept or deny the contact and charge. However, you will show lower in the Search Results without Promote. 

In the meantime, I'd recommend responding to those new leads in your inbox since they're ones that you've already paid for.

Community Newcomer

I NEVER selected Promote!

Active Community Member

HI Im Eric. A loyal PRO with over 54 REVIEWS, a 4.7 rating. TT was a grind getting started, but like so many PROs I kept up with it. I am like so many other PROs........wondering why TT is being so stubborn, refusing to go back to the way you did business before. 

Over the holidays, I spent a lot of time online researching TT, and I must say it was "very scary" all the complaints coming constantly. It seems like TT needed more $$$$$ coming into to please investors. YOUR PROs that are loyal are relying on TT for a steady source of leads are leaving in droves. 

The PROs are telling TT that the new changes are NOT working. Take my experience for example. I knew right away it was not going to work. I had all my SETTINGS in place. My case was simple. I can not SCREEN my leads and that created leads that came in that I would have never chosen. The fact TT is getting the $$$$$ up front.................no way, no more. I had received 8 leads and did not close a single job. THAT NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

I have 3 friends that USED  TT and were loyal!!!!! A concrete contractor, a fence contractor, and a HANDYMAN. We all noticed the quality of leads and the HUGE increase in lead costs went through the roof, charged upfront. WE ALL STOPPED or PAUSED "Promote Your Business"

If TT cant make it work for PROs that have "mastered" the old system and developed their own ways and means of connecting with clients......how do you expect  PROs to make it work and when they are coming in with NO reviews, no STRONG PROFILE, and they get frusttrated giving TT the $$$$$, and not closing jobs. 

Active Community Member

One Thousand Kudos Eric!