Highlighted

Say Hello.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

Now that you’re here, say hello to pros in your area. Here are some questions to get the conversation started.

• What’s been your biggest success? Personal or professional.
  • What’s the one thing you would tell a new Thumbtack pro?
  • Tell a story about one of your most memorable jobs or customers.
  • What was the biggest obstacle when starting your business?

Answer one of these questions yourself, and chat with other pros about their answers. Let’s get to know each other! 

Icebreaker_question_cards-4.pngIcebreaker_question_cards-3.pngIcebreaker_question_cards-20.pngIcebreaker_question_cards-2.png

@MustangDFW @DTXMario @MrHomeSafe 

0 Likes
replies
Highlighted

Re: Say Hello.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Hello! Consistency and follow-up. Clients tend to respond when information is easy to access and straight forward.
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer
Thanks @PoCo! This is such a great tip. To help us get to know you better, can you introduce yourself? What's your business? How did you get started?
0 Likes
Highlighted

Dallas-Fort Worth board Lead
Best Answer
One thing i would tell a new pro. Like anything else in marketing for a small/large business, you will get out what you put in. Thumbtack is a great platform but if you just make a profile and sit around and wait for business to come ... well you will be sitting for a while. Enhance your profile to the max. fill it up with content, respond to leads and messages quickly, deliver Grade A service in everything you do, and always ask for a review. Its 2020 customers are looking for an EXPERIENCE not just the cheapest price.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer
Great advice, @MustangDFW. Can you introduce yourself to help us get to know you better?
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
We tend to get better results when we are able to respond promptly. I think that it also sends a message to the customer if we show that they won't be "waiting around" to hear from us.
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Agree. And, with another platform I’m on, calling the lead on the phone is almost a guarantee you’ll at least get an appointment with them!
Adrienne Morgan
0 Likes
Highlighted

Dallas-Fort Worth board Lead
Best Answer
Hi all, my name is Mario and together with my dad, another Mario, we started DTX Appliance repair a few years ago. The profile picture is my dad since he handles the service calls and I manage the customer service side of things. I'll update it with a pic of both of us later so you all can know who I am as well :).

We joined thumbtack in September/October and what I am most proud of is how quickly we were able to rise in the ranks and keep busy. We qualified for and were awarded the top pro badge in just a few months.

Best advice for any new Thumbtack pros is to respond to inquiries asap. Customers are more likely to hire the first person to respond. One feature that has helped me the most is the 'Saved replies.' I would be happy to post an example of how I use it if anyone wants to see. Basically when a customer requests service I check my saved replies and select the relevant one. Then I just make minor adjustments such as changing availability times and hit send. After that just get the final details and job is booked.

Our most memorable customers are ones i'm sure we are all familiar with, the tire kickers, price shoppers. We have set rates and often get customers trying to negotiate. While it may seem easy and alluring to undercut your competition you end up short selling yourself. Don't get caught in a race to the bottom and do not be afraid to say no to customers. The cheapest ones are always the ones that give you the most trouble.

Our biggest obstacle so far has just been finding the proper work life balance. Since as I mentioned before how crucial being the first to respond is it makes being able to relax and turn off for the day a bit hard. I could be out in the evening or weekend and get a job request and have to make a choice if I want to try and get the job or risk losing it. This makes it hard to enjoy your time off. With that being said you do need to make sure you take time off, helps with avoiding burnout.

Anyone have any questions feel free to ask, happy to help.

Thanks!

-Mario
DTX Appliance Repair
(972)514-6928
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer
Hi Mario, welcome! I love these tips, especially what you shared about finding the right balance between responding to customers ASAP and taking well-deserved time off. Hopefully 'Saved replies' help with that. Can you share the example you mentioned of how you use it?
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: CHALLENGE ITEM: Say Hello.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I’ve been with Thumbtack since 2016 and I feel solid reviews win jobs. I have 88 - 5star and 2 - 4star reviews. I started this business in 1990’s yes last century. We didn’t have reviews and I spent countless hours on the phone building trust, then just as much once I met the client. Online reviews has eliminated that. It took me a while to realize why I didn’t need to work so hard to build that trust, then I realized my clients read reviews and have trust with that alone. I have had many customers say “wow you have great reviews” or “ya I saw your reviews” at that point if there is any hesitation or to seal the deal I saw we work hard for our reviews and will go that extra mile to have a satisfied customer.

The funny thing is I have never once asked for a review.