results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: Attention Book Editors

Solved! Jump to solution

@Mkdiehl wrote:

I'm wondering how other book editors are doing? I'm getting a lot fewer jobs posts and when I do quote, much worse response. I've been on TT for five years and after the first year or so knew what to expect. I think perhaps everyone still here is more desperate and lowering their prices. I've found another platform that's working for me, but I don't like relying on one, so I hope TT gets it's act together. How are the rest of you doing?

I'm not using TT at all right now.  I periodically check in to see if things have improved, but so far nothing I've seen inspires me to give this another go at this point.  In the past, there would be many job requests for me to look at, now there are a handful.  Most are for dissertation, finance, and scientific journal articles.  None of these are my baliwick.  I'm finding most of my work via networking and Fiverr right now.  What platform are you finding success with?

Shareen Mann
Freelance writer and editor with The Write Mann, LLC
0 Kudos
yeeditor
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Shareen, like you I am essentially no longer using Thumbtack, and this after five years and more than 100 hires. Most of my work now comes from past clients, media advertising, and my relationship with a publisher as an at-large editor. I check in with TT periodically and occasionally see an interesting request (far fewer than in the past), but have been unable to post a quote. I tried twice last week and received a message that "15 editors have already quoted". That's difficult for me to accept, since I tried to quote within one minute of receiving the alerts. I'm not on Instant Match, and during a conversation with a TT representative, I learned that those who use IM receive the requests before the rest of us. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure I wish to compete with fourteen other editors. The odds of winning a job are so slim that it seems like a waste of money. I'm paying far less for leads now, and winning just as many jobs. It's a shame that Thumbtack ruined a good thing. As presently constituted, I do not see myself using TT going forward.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Solved! Jump to solution

Agreed! Big mistake to combine editing with writing services, as the latter is wide open and not specific. 

Also, why have they combined Fact Checking to Formatting??? Makes no sense.  As an editor am I expected/not expected to actually check facts in a book, dissertation, etc?