Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
topic id 11582: Pricing
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 5571: Pricing
topic id 7120: Charging practices
topic id 7090: Insanity
topic id 6931: TV commercial
topic id 5713: Quote pricing / how much will I pay per quote?
topic id 5305: Website Design Pricing
topic id 3937: Unhappy with thumbtack
Highlighted
DPKK
Level 6

Attention Book Editors

Book editors, is anyone getting any requests? We are used to getting many a week, and since TT combined editing with writing services, we aren’t getting any. We edit primarily fiction and are top pros. Please respond if you’re a book editor!
72 responses
Mkdiehl
Level 6

Re: Attention Book Editors

No. There is no way for anyone to request editing since it is no longer a category. If you go to Thumbtack as a customer and ask for "book editor" you get "where do you need a writer?" and then What kind of writing--the things we see, Seo, academic, blog, technical, etc. I spoke to someone has week who assured me it was an error and would be fixed but I am not at all sure--and in a panic--because there has been no official letter. I am going to try again to speak with someone. I urge you to call as well.

DPKK
Level 6

I’ve called as well. They just said they understand my frustration and hope it will change in the future. Meanwhile, think how many customers they’re losing!

Book editing (speculative fiction) is one of my services, and I also haven't seen anything come through in weeks, and that includes the vague book editing requests and the requests for other genres that I used to see.

I'm also not seeing some of the other editing gigs I usually do (personal statements and application essays for higher education, medical residency, and fellowships), and those had been picking up right before the new system kicked in.  The big application season is just starting off, and this is hurting my business a lot.

Shareen Mann
Freelance writer and editor with The Write Mann, LLC
DPKK
Level 6

We’re finishing up a few books now and have a few return customers, but we’re fast running out of work too!
Mkdiehl
Level 6

I spoke to someone yesterday and she wrote today to say it is being "investigated." I expressed strongly that we all deserve to know what's happening as our businesses are suffering. She agreed and said that she is raising that with her team. I don't think we will know what's going to happen for weeks - and things won't get better for weeks, if ever. I have work for July but am very despondent about this, as other platforms don't work well for me. I edit mostly fiction. My clients are almost always very happy. But if this is really the future of TT, I will likely have to move out of a place I love to a family place I don't want to go to at all. I am fighting a lot of depression. It took a long time to get to this place, to make TT work for me, to give up other forms of earning a living that I now cannot return to.

DPKK
Level 6

I’m so sorry! I agree with you; it may be weeks-if ever-before we see a solution. It’s really sad.

There are a lot of freelance platforms out there, and while many have features that are unacceptable, not all of them do.  @Mkdiehl, it would be better to branch out than put yourself in a bad place financially while waiting for Thumbtack to fix this.

Shareen Mann
Freelance writer and editor with The Write Mann, LLC
DPKK
Level 6

@The-Write-Mann

I suppose TT would frown if you suggested some of those other platforms here. I wish I knew where else to look.

Donna
Writing by Design
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

@Mkdiehl@The-Write-Mann@DPKK - I wanted to let you know that I flagged this issue directly to the individuals who control the request form, mentioning how frustrating it is to no longer have a clear option for folks like you who do fiction / book editing.  They have a meeting later this week to discuss and align on next steps.

So that I understand, would it help if we added a "Fiction" option within the "Writing Services" category? Or is there another option you'd like to see?

Thanks again for raising this, and we'll keep you posted as we have more information.

Jason