results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Thumbtack Employee MichelleT
Thumbtack Employee

Attention Events pros: is promoting your profile working for you?

Hi Events pros!

We’re conducting research on what is working and what could be better with regards to promoting your profile. If you are active in the Events categories, we would love to hear your perspective. (To see a list of all Events categories, click here.)

Some guiding questions to get you started:

If you ARE promoting your profile:

• What do you like most about it? What’s working?
  • What could be better?
  • What convinced you to try it? (e.g., rank boost, 20% discount, time savings?)
  • How did you learn to be successful when promoting your profile?
  • Other thoughts/ideas to share?

If you are NOT promoting your profile but you HAVE tried it:  

• What was your experience like? (e.g., What worked? What didn’t work?)
  • Why did you stop promoting your profile?
  • What could we change about promoting your profile that would lead you to try it again?

If you are NOT promoting your profile and HAVE NOT tried it yet:  

• What has kept you from trying it? What are you most concerned about?
  • What could we change about promoting your profile that would make you more excited to try it?

Even if you’re not answering the guiding questions above, be sure to tell us whether you’re currently promoting your profile and/or whether you’ve tried it in the past.

Your feedback is invaluable as we evaluate the ways in which we can improve.  We look forward to hearing from you!

Many thanks in advance,  

Michelle T.

Senior Category Manager, Events

Occupations (1)
35 responses
Hankster
Level 10

Re: Attention Events pros: is promoting your profile working for you?

I have used ProAssist & Instant Match. Those platforms provided me fair to moderate success. Had to spend a lot of money on empty leads to finally land some leads & make some money. I have not used Promote & will not until things change.

If you are NOT promoting your profile and HAVE NOT tried it yet:  

• What has kept you from trying it?  Seeing the other pros in the many posts in the different forums voice their displesure with the amount of money being charged just for someone asking on of the conversation starter questions "Are you available on my date". More times then not you respond back answering the question & never hearing from this lead again. You folks at TT try to sell us on the fact that this is a business lead. Stop insulting my intelligence! If all I'm getting is a name & no other contact info how in the heck is that considered a business lead? It's like you folks at TT are saying "Well we gave you a name of a lead. Now go run with it".
  • What are you most concerned about?  How TT determines what's a small job in the DJ category. Medium job?  Large job? I've asked this question in these forums I don't know how many times & I never get an answer.
  • What could we change about promoting your profile that would make you more excited to try it?  Stop using algoritims & charge a flat rate for small, medium & large jobs.
  • Other thoughts/ideas to share?  Yes. Have only one conversation starter question. I've suggested this converstion starter question many times “I read your profile & your reviews. I really like what I’ve read. Your reviews are awesome! I would love to speak to you further about my event. Please call me at (insert phone number here) or e-mail me at (insert e-mail address here). Look forward to speaking with you”. The customer has narrowed down their choices in Promote as to which (in my category) DJ service they want to use, right? Then it should be a MANDATORY requirement for them to provide their phone number & e-mail address. There should be NO ISSUE whatsoever for the lead to not provide that information. What's the big deal about them providing a phone number & an e-mail address to us. There should be no cat & mouse game here. 

Work with us. Not against us

I think the bew promotion is great compared to other previous ways. It would be perfect if the person who got the job paid for the job but I understand business as well. We recently have been able to produce more jobs by promoting our trade.
0 Kudos
Hankster
Level 10

Since my last post back on 1/16/19 when I wasn't using Promote I decided to give it a try. I've been using Promote now for almost 2 months. Promote is not working for me at all. I have had exactly two leads reach out to me. TWO!!!! One on 4/25/19. The other on 4/28/19. One hired me. The other downloaded the TT app & in her words 'didn’t realized I actually reached out to everyone in my search. I pulled up the app and realized I had several responses for the same reason'. I was credited back my money for that one. The Jobs tab is just as bad. I haven't had a lead respond to me via the Jobs tab in about 4 months now. Of course, I don't know if the lead has read my quote since the read receipt feature was removed. There is nothing wrong with my profile. I have 50 reviews averaging 5.0. I've been a Top Pro the last two years. I sure as heck won't be one next year. TT is no longer working for me at all. All of these changes that have been made over the last several months have not benefitted me at all.

DJStevie
Level 12

@MichelleT
Thank you for posting this. I don't know how many Pros will comment because they haven't been HEARD in other threads. Hopefully they will comment.
A couple of months ago, against my better judgment, and at the advice of your phone rep, and even with your on line reps, I tried Promote. It goes against the way that I do business. As a DJ in business for 29 years, I need to be personable with every customer reaching out to me. With the previous system, one that I'm still using with Promote off, I was and am able to send a quote with a personable message. All customers that have hired me last year said they chose me over others because of my being personable and was willing to work with their budgets. But I was told that I can be personable in my profile. Really? How can I be personable for EVERY customer and situation in my profile? Do customers take time to read a lengthy profile?
What caused me to turn promote off are the following
1) I do NOT want to get charged for every generic replay/conversation starter! Who thought of that? I need to see the cost of a lead and customer profile first before I send a quote. This way I can see if a customer is a good fit for me.
2) I stopped using Promote because of the number of leads that I wouldn't have sent, were being sent on my behalf. Thumbtack didn't give me a chance to read the customer profiles and costs first. I was told that happened because they felt customers were a good fit or exact match.
3) Not being refunded for jobs that I would not have bid on and customer reached out to me. That's not fair at all.
4)  Calendar bookings didn't work with Promote. Customers were asking about my availability and I was getting charged even though my calendar date was booked.
5)  Cost of leads are too high, way too high. Other sites charge Pros much less, in fact half or more than half of what Thumbtack charges.
6) Travel areas are ridiculous. If I want to get a lead in one city, I'm receiving leads from a city 1-2 hours away from the first city.
7) Customers aren't providing emails/phone numbers.
Improvements Needed
1) Do not charge the pros until AFTER we reply to a customer, whether it be generic reply or message. This way we get to see the customer and lead cost.
2) If we reach out to a customer and get charged, and customer never replies to us in a timely manner, we should be refunded.
3) We set weekly budgets. Charge us by the week, not for every $50 usage. Thumbtack is setting the budget for us by charging us for every $50. So, Pros setting budgets is useless.
4) Travel areas need to be adjusted. Perhaps work with the Pros on that?
5) We need at least a customer's email and/or phone number. If Thumbtack uses my number 1 on improvements, then we need some kind of contact information to continue the correspondence.
6) Customers need to be charged a nominal fee for sending generic replies. Then Thumbtack will have very interested customers.
7) One Pro suggested a trial period for using Promote. How about a trial period for 7-14 days with a discount(not the 20%, but more) And if we don't like it, then we use manual system. But if trial period is to be used, don't charge our cards til end of trial period. This will show the Pros that you are on our side, and want Promote to work for us.
Other Ideas/thoughts
We need on line reps to understand us, and not get defensive when Pros are complaining. We have nobody to talk to when we have an issue. We get sent numerous links and get warnings when we voice our opinion and trying to help other Pros. Some get banned for 30 days.  We need those reps to help our business succeed here, and answer questions in honesty.
If I'm going to use Promote again, these changes need to be implemented. If no changes, I will continue to use manual system, and use Thumbtack less and less, and use other platforms over Thumbtack. I liked Thumbtack and I had alot of success before the changes. From reading all the threads on different levels, majority of the pros have had alot of success too with the previous system. You just have to read it. Some Pros may be banned from the forums so they may not see your post.
Thank you for letting me voice my concerns/issues. Hopefully, Thumbtack will take some or all of my suggestions to improve Promote.

DavidEGlover
Level 4

I know that this feature is definitely in Thumbtack's favor and I support giving edges to those who are willing to pay for it. However, it is not the most cost effective way to obtain leads. I've only been using it a couple days and in that I have spent twice as much as I normally would have with Thumbtack. We will see if the revenue follows. If it does I have no objection at all to this feature.

JoeB131
Level 7

I'm not in the Events sector, i'm in services, but.

If you are NOT promoting your profile but you HAVE tried it:  

• What was your experience like? (e.g., What worked? What didn’t work?)

Awful Turned it off after a few days.  I spent a lot of money letting people kick the tires. 

• Why did you stop promoting your profile?

I spent 96.00 in a week for one single job earning $50.00

• What could we change about promoting your profile that would lead you to try it again?

You did lower prices, but the things I would change. 

Don't let everyone all over the country compete for jobs. Only local providers.

Don't charge folks for someone merely pressing, "When are you available".  Only charge if a conversation takes place. 

a good system would be to only make us pay if we get the job.  

Thumbtack Employee LydiaH
Thumbtack Employee

Thanks @JoeB131@DavidEGlover@DJStevie , @Hankster for posting your feedback! It's helpful to get your thoughts as we work on product updates. I really want to see you succeed in this new system, we just ask for your patience as we make improvements.

I'm tagging some additional events pros here - we'd love to hear from you about if promoting your profile is working for you! Take a look at Michelle's post above and let us know about your experience. We want to make this system work for you, but to do that, we need your feedback on what's working and what could be improved.

@HandTW @gigilee @Chelleigh @Stephen2 @SeanWalsh @Entheo @JRD @chefmark @waterworks @bocoband @Brendonanderson @ManhattanPhotog @SereneLee @monkifoto @XVIIIPHOTO @tack123 @Msmod @chefcristo @SDawson @Goldlj12 @NativeEats @markdine @ChefLeslieAnn @Anaffairtoremem @heartandsoul @emscatering @kelvinkeys @ChefVal826 @Qworksbbq @Lana1964 @cjw496 @DR @ClassAct @CountDown @PCharlesMusic @elmorg @kellythejp @llamalady @revtheresa @luvmwyf @Memorab-Wedding @StacyRae24 @ECC @Ziva8844 @kicksfroyo @WeddingGuyRob @revjackie @mwintermote @Clep @Art_DeLaRosa @Tommy60 @rtotoj @hullskitchen @Sarahpollack @Rec_Studio @Djc378 @SelfieFiesta @fantastic4 @ForeverPhoto @Boothglam @Spaceagetimmy @Miga @MaggieRadzwille @WacoUAS @PhotoBiz @primeaerial @Giftofthegab @FashionistaNYC @Stylerescue @Calleiahkm @Jcarr @Hilaryfox27 @PaintingSmiles @Emiko @Jamie @vegaburm @asweetlifetx @perrysto @Best_Bartender @Hennaalhanna @nyeasparty @DJLawFirm @js11 @Dvallejo35 @Lynnwinkle @P3entertainment @JustTunes @myersclaireb @2BlueEyesPhoto @Crescent_Spirit @MaxCozzi @FlossieO @HeyNico @Photoglc @katieleona

emscatering
Level 4

If you ARE promoting your profile:

• What do you like most about it? What’s working? I am definitely getting contacted more. I am seeing a big upward trend in visits to my personal website. I find that if I am contacted I can usually book the lead, providing they ever respond. 
  • What could be better? It would be better to be charged not based on who contacts us but whether we take the lead or choose to decline it. I have to be picky about the size of event I take and getting charged for ones that are too small or I’m not available for is beyond frustrating. The choice to respond should be the point where Pros are charged. I find also that I will get “conversation starter” leads and they don’t respond to me or they never meant to hire in the first place.
  • What convinced you to try it? (e.g., rank boost, 20% discount, time savings?) Mostly the Rank boost. I am a top pro and hate the idea that I would be ranked under someone who isn’t just because they chose to promote. I have earned top pro through hard work and that +plus reviews should be more important than whether or not I choose to play into Thumbtacks algorithms. 
  • How did you learn to be successful when promoting your profile? Trial and error. Post lots of pictures, ask everyone for a review. Stay on top of leads.
  • Other thoughts/ideas to share? Over all I am pleased with the amount of work I get from thumbtack. I would just prefer if there was more Pro control on what we get charged for now that we can’t filter out unrealistic leads.

The system is improving and the promote feature does give me more leads. A couple of suggestions that I believe can improve the process. There doesn't seem to be s mechanism to tell when the job is booked or potential customer wants a particular vendor. Maybe a small indicator saying this job is booked or a color system dot, showing this lead is in negotiation stage with vendor. Otherwise I like the promote feature.