results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted

Customers are NOT notified of quotes sent in Jobs section

I've always told other Pros I work with at my gym to use the Jobs tab to try and drum up new business (they're personal trainers) when they don't rank very high, especially when they're just starting out. For context, I own a personal training studio that rents its space out to self-employed trainers. Not only does being active within the Jobs tab have no bearing whatsoever on Rank, but customers don't receive notifications when you send them a message.

I used Thumbtack as a consumer today, which wasn't my first time, though my use of it is fairly rare. On the subject, I reached out to only 1 Pro (handyman service) because he fit exactly what I needed.

Then he "wasn't available." I'd be curious to know how often this sort of thing happens (only 1-2 Pros are contacted by a customer and neither are available) and to know what the liklihood of the customer using the platform again--for the same project--is when the customer doesn't even realize there are other Pros that can and will work with the customer.

What's interesting is I really just stumbled upon another Pro who sent me a message when he saw my project in his Jobs tab. The crazy part? As the consumer, I didn't receive a notification for that message.

Moderators: Why don't customers, like me in this case, receive push or email notifications when a Pro sends a message from their Jobs tab? My notifications are all on (because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss the message from the Pro I intended to work with originally. Or, why wouldn't I have gotten a notification for that?

26 responses
mrs
Level 6

Re: Customers are NOT notified of Jobs tab sent quotes

I just used TT as a customer too recently.

3 of 4 pros were unavailable and about 4 replied with "I'm interested" without clicking further I could only see about a line and a half of their reply. Also the 3 "unavailable" pros were still listed above the 4ish "I'm interested pros" I had to scroll down.

When I combine that with receiving leads from an hour away (I know I have a very small area of operation) that I always turn down, I have to wonder why I am not showing up in the area I do work in (at all now I used to be 8-15th) but keep showing up on the pro list for areas I won't go to. My profile is still being shown just apparently not in the areas I work.

As a Client it was frustrating I "reached out" to 4 of the top 8 pros I was shown and 3 of them we're interested, especially since I know there is no way other than "targeting" for me to block leads I have zero interest in. Honestly, as a client TT results were abysmal. I'll still try TT for future services I may need but won't be expecting a reply.

By the way TT recommends to clients "pick more pros" so you get a response, why not just match us with the leads we want (we're going to pay for them and those of us not targeting will be paying 20% more) We want to buy leads from TT or we wouldn't be here but this instance on targeting rather than letting us pick the leads we want is maddening for everyone.

If I wanted to get 3 quotes I'd have to select 12 pros, pros see "oh they picked 12 I don't want to deal with them" It's creating a vicious circle.

VelvetO
Level 6

Agreed! I noticed months ago that potential clients were not responding to the messages I sent in jobs tab. TT has definitely made changes that have been detrimental to how I receive leads compared to two years ago.

Velvet Oasis Events

I noticed the same thing--the contact rate for quotes sent via the Jobs section is very low, probably in the single digits. To me, it doesn't make sense for Thumbtack not to notify the customer of the message. A few points on the subject:

1) The message to a customer doesn't go to the customer's Inbox - they have to reopen the projects tab (at least through the app on the phone) in order to see it, and it's not made very clear that the Pro is actually contacting them.

2) Only 5 quotes can be sent via the Jobs tab for Pros, so it's not like the customer's inbox would be flooded with "non-selected" Pros (The customer contacted another Pro or Pros) messages.

3) Sending quotes via the Jobs section does not impact rank at all.

In my opinion, notifying the customers of these Jobs-sent messages would do a few things:

1) Allow new Pros (or any others) to be able to be "active" on the platform by having a real, legitimate shot at acquiring the customer. Almost the VERY THING we want to be able to do so we have some sort of control over new opportunities. 

2) It would present the customer with a few additional options (limited to 5, same as above) to contact Pros, rather than needing to reopen the project and requiring the customer to choose another Pro or Pros. As this is the means of revenue for Thumbtack, it would seem logical as the customer can reply to these new Pros, and requires the customer to do LESS if their chosen Pro doesn't reply or can't do the job.

3) It would likely increase revenue for Thumbtack by allowing the customer to reply to these Pros. We all know we're charged when that happens. As Pros, we WANT the response!

4) It would likely increase the customer's satisfaction with the platform because the Pro's that contact them via the Jobs section are likely hungry for their business. Plus, the Pros will have an opportunity before sending the quote to review the details of the job. 

In my opinion, Thumbtack can solve several issues for both Pros and Customers by simply notifying the customer of the messages sent by Pros from the Jobs section. To be fair, I'm waiting for the moderators to explain the logic of why they currently don't do this as there may be legitimate reasons. But, based on my own experience as a customer and not just a Pro, it would seem like a simple fix that creates a lot more opportunity for both parties.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Re: Customers are NOT notified of quotes sent in Jobs section

@WerkFitnessSD I'm happy to give you more clarification on this. If a pro quotes on a job through the Jobs tab, the customer should indeed receive a notification. However, it will be delayed to give the pro who the customer already reached out to (and was charged) enough time to respond. If you didn't receive a notification at all, we definitely want to look into your account and see what's going on. The best way to do this would be to contact our support team at 800-948-2034. 

OK, I'll do that. I suppose I can understand the delay, but why wouldn't it go to the inbox if you sent a message after the financial quote was sent? In other words, if they sent both a quote and a message, why wouldn't that be received in their inbox? Currently, aside from the notification problem I experienced, the quote and message could only be found in the Project tab, at least while using the app. So if the notification didn't work, wouldn't it make more sense for the message from the Pro to appear in the inbox? I'd like to get your thoughts on that, please.

Also, how long should the delay be between the Pros message and me receiving the notification as the customer?

If you want, I can give you my username a I used my personal account to hire a handyman.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Thanks for expanding and sharing your feedback on this @WerkFitnessSD, it will all be passed on to our Product Team! Since we encourage pros to respond within four hours, the notification will be delayed for four hours or until the initial pro responds to the customer. 
Yes, if you can send me the email associated with your customer account, that would be great so I can get that feedback sent in on your behalf. 

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

“Since we encourage pros to respond within four hours, the notification will be delayed for four hours or until the initial pro responds to the customer.”
Does this means that if the first pro selected by the lead never responds (which likely happens often based on my review of these boards ) those who try to contact the lead in the jobs tab will never have their message sent to the lead in any manner ?
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@MR that is incorrect. If a pro sends a quote through the Jobs tab, it is sent to customers immediately, there isn't a delay on that. Customers are able to see the message as soon as the pros send them, they just won't receive a notification instantly. If the initial pro never responds to the customer, the customer will receive a notification four hours after they reached out to that pro. 

0 Kudos

Should it be going to their inbox and not just somewhat hidden in the Projects area on the customers side? That's my bigger concern. I understand the delay of the notification, but shouldn't the quote and message appear in the customer inbox immediately, regardless of the notification?

Also, @Meckell , if you could DM me for my email address, I'd be happy to provide that.

0 Kudos