results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
MR
Level 10

Re: Striking a Balance

In many of their posts, TT urges people to do things to see how a pro looks from the job poster side.

I urge everyone, if they have not already, to create a TT account as a job poster and then go through the job poster path to acquiring a pro. It is very revealing and explains a lot.

Also, this weekend several posts were made by me showing screen shots of what happens. I invite you to look and draw your own conclusions. 

Moderator Kameron

@Lar @MR thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on this. Once a customer reaches out to a pro we want to make sure they’re taken care of, so that job will be sent to the Jobs tab for other pros to express interest in if they feel that they could also be a great fit. Again this is in case the pro doesn’t respond, isn’t available, or to simply give a few other options if the customer wants to see what else is available. The case where a pro doesn't respond to the customer actually happens more often than you'd think, and it's a big reason why pros who are promoting get a better ranking as promoting pros are more likely to respond. That said I can certainly see where you're coming from. We want customers to get responses and for pros to get hired. I'll be making sure to share your suggestion that we show other interested pros a delayed amount of time after the pro has paid for the lead. 

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 9

Thank you Kameron,

I'm all for Thumbtack connecting as many job posters to as many Pros as possible. I'm all for giving job posters every opportunity to find the right Pro to service their request. I'm all for Thumbtack maximizing their revenue potential, I want Thumbtack to be successful because if Thumbtack is successful then logically one would expect its Pros to be successful.

The problem I have is when Thumbtack's desire to attain its goals of servicing its job posters and its own profitability directly conflicts with my goals as a Pro, specifically my primary goal of turning as many of the leads I purchase from Thumbtack into customers.

The issue I highlighted with Thumbtack helpfully suggesting to my leads that they should contact my competitors 'just in case' is a perfect illustration of that conflict.

It's no accident that Thumbtack take every opportunity spoonfeed my leads with lists of my competitors. It is by deliberate design and it makes perfect sense because Thumbtack want to connect as many job posters as possible with as many Pros as possible.

My success on Thumbtack depends on me closing as many of those leads as possible.  How invested are Thumbtack in helping make that happen?

The fact of the matter is that if Thumbtack really was invested in my success they wouldn't be spoonfeeding my leads (leads I paid Thumbtack for) with details of my competitors at every opportunity and suggesting to my leads that they should contact my competitors 'just in case'.

I'm sorry Kameron but Thumbtack are doing its Pros a huge disservice with this kind of thing, its wrong on so many levels and is totally at odds with the rhetoric we continually hear from Thumbtack about how they want their Pros to be successful. The kind of thing does nothing to help us and everything to hinder us.

By all means distribute my feedback and the feedback of other Pros on this issue for further consideration within Thumbtack.

Here's an idea.

Forward a link to this topic to Marco. He's a member of this community and I'd love him to chime in. He missed a real opportunity to connect with us in his recent Q&A, 25 minutes didn't even scratch the surface with regard to the issues his Pros are having with his company. What does he have to say?

If Marco can't or doesn't want to get involved then could you please make sure that this issue is brought to the attention of someone at Thumbtack who (1) can understand and fully appreciate what's going on, (2) is actually in a position correct it, and (3) has the will and resources to do so. 

Regards,
Laurence.

Highlighted
cranichik
Level 8

Re: Disadvantages with Promote Off - and troubles for consumers

@MR I have done the exact same thing for my business and have experienced the exact same issues.

RCSTWT
Level 5

I totally agree and appreciate the thorough delineation of your argument, sir. I would share some ADDITIONAL commentary in defense of your presentation and its points, but I just received a scolding from Thumbtack employee Meckell for writing pretty close to what you have so phenomenally expressed, so I'm feeling a little hogtied right now and confused about what TT policies CAN be questioned/challenged and which ones can NOT. Just know I am in your corner.

Moderator Kameron

@RCSTWT posts will only be removed if they violate our Community Guidelines in any way. We want you all to post your thoughts, feelings, and suggestions, however, we just ask that it stays constructive and professional. Let me know if you have any further questions. 

0 Kudos
RCSTWT
Level 5

So exactly WHAT are allowable criticisms of TT and what is not. When MR delineated quite clearly what seems to be an atrocity,  (with graphics no less!) there were no repercussions, yet when I wrote a generic, non-specific statement comment based upon the rationale TT employees were taking in explaining how we, as adult professionals in various fields  with 20, 30 or more years experience, should be approaching potential customers when they do NOT respond to our PAID solicitations for their patronage. i was deleted and read the Riot Act. Please explain that to me like I'm a 4 year old.

Could it be the fact that I mentioned the TT employee by name?

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@RCSTWT when the post was removed you should have received a direct message from Meckell including which guidelines your post violated. If you have questions about that specifically please respond to the private message that was sent to you. We’re more than happy to give you clarification!

0 Kudos