results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Lar
Level 10

Re: Fewer Leads

Hi @Kameron,

You said in answer to DJStevie...

@DJStevie I know you've asked and mentioned some of these questions before, but just to refresh. I don't have any statistics that I can share about this. However, if things were truly as broken as you seem to believe for most pros, I can assure you the new system would not have continued in the way it has been. 

And in reply to me you stated...

Since the new updates, we've seen a healthier marketplace overall and that the new system is working better for a higher number of pros.

Taking those two things on board my impression is that Thumbtack must be quite happy with the new system.

Thumbtack are a business and if they're happy with what they're seeing and their new system is meeting their expectations then that's OK. If Thumbtack are seeing more leads being generated, more Pros being hired, more positive feedback from customers and Pros alike then Thumbtack have every right to be absolutely thrilled with the new system. I would be too, wouldn't you? Thumbtack had a vision for ways to make the system better than ever before and the Pros have given Thumbtack an overwhelming seal of approval, two thumbs up! Sure there may be a few teething problems, there always are when you make big systemic changes, but overall all things considered things are by all accounts working well with the new system.

I don't get to see what Thumbtack sees. I don't see all the positive feedback you do, or the metrics you do that track customer visits, search counts, profile views, Promote counts, hires, etc.

All I have to go on is my own experience of your system. Experience that many other Pros here seem to share. For me Thumbtack just isn't working. At its most fundamental level the new system isn't generating the volume of leads that it used to. 

Logically it's no surprise that this is the case and if Thumbtack are happy with the new system and its Pros in general are happy then are we being foolish to expect things to change just to accomodate the small microcosm of the Pros here who have issues?

Think about this. Imagine 100 customers with similar job requests visit Thumbtack one day looking for service in a particular market and geographical locale. Imagine also that there are 50 Pros that can fulfill the needs of these 100 customers.

With the old system, so we are told, 80% of those customers never got to 'see' a Pro. However, and this is overlooked, 20% of them did. So 20 of those customers filled out the job details and those 20 job details ended up in the Inbox of 50 Pros. Only 5 Pros could submit bids to each customer. As a Pro if you were slow then your competitors would get their bids in first and you'd lose out.

The result was that with 100 customers visiting Thumbtack, 100% of those 50 Pros, every single one of them, got to 'see' and bid on 20 jobs submitted by the 20% of customers who entered their job details.

Look at the new system. What would need to happen to emulate that volume of lead generation.

Well, 20% visitors (20 customers) would need to so a Search and then explicitly open each an every Profile of the 50 Pros listed in the Search and then explicitly reach out to each of those Pros. 

Think about that for a second. 20% of customers opening 50 Pro profiles and then reaching out to each of those 50 Pros one at a time.

That's what would need to happen with the new system if we wanted to see the same volume of lead generation that we used to get with the old system.

But that's never going to happen is it? It would be ludicrous to expect 20% of customers to reach out to every single Pro like that.

The 20% of customers might reach out to a small handful of Pros, let's be generous, let's say they all reach out to 5 Pros rather than all 50 Pros. Even then Pros would see their leads drop by at least 90%. Don't forget about the Pros who aren't near the top of the Search results, or not on the first page. Those Pros will hardly get seen at all. Most customers we know are going to focus on the Pros near the top, that's what people do with internet searches, the best results are near the top, who has time to waste scrolling down through 50 Pros. Remember, that's one of the carrots that Thumbtack use to push Promote. If you're not near the top you're not in the game.

Either I'm missing something really simple here but logically, mathematically, I cannot see how Thumbtack in it's current form will ever be able to generate any more than a small fraction of the leads for its Pros when compared to the old system.

Regards,
Laurence

Lar
Level 10

@Kameron I'm still awaiting a response to the following three questions please. I respectfully ask that you please forward them to the appropriate person (or persons) in Thumbtack who is in a position to provide an informed answer. A simple yes or no would suffice, unless the person answering the questions would like to elaborate.

2. Do Thumbtack know the reason for the reduction in leads that Pros here have reported?

3. Do Thumbtack acknowledge that this is a serious problem for Pros here? 

4. Do Thumbtack think that this is a problem that Thumbtack should be working on right now to resolve?

Thank you.

Regards,
Laurence

Highlighted
Moderator Meckell

@Lar Dusti and I have both had conversations with you regarding your concerns and I believe we touched on all of this. If we didn't, please send one of us a DM and we can have a conversation. 

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 10

Hello Kameron, thank you for replying.

@Kameronyou said in answer to my question, 

Is the reduction in leads reported by Pros on this board something you have seen in your own lead generation statistics?

1. Since the new updates, we've seen a healthier marketplace overall and that the new system is working better for a higher number of pros. Keep in mind that we see a larger number of pros expressing frustrations here in the Community, which is normal for a forum like this. However, we hear from many pros seeing success at our pro events that they have read through things here from time to time and after reading felt uncomfortable posting and expressing things that would be an unpopular opinion or experience. 

I'm assuming that your answer was 'no' to this since you say that Thumbtack have seen 'a healthier marketplace overall and that the new system is working better for a higher number of pros'. You also say that Thumbtack you seen Pros at your Pro events who finding success with the new system but are reticent about posting here; don't know how many Pros that it though.

You reply suggests that the reduction in leads reported by Pros on this board is not something Thumbtack have seen reported elsewhere. Or, and I'm speculating here, Thumbtack isn't aware of other Pros (other than on this board) reporting a reduction in leads to a degree that Thumbtack deem significant. Is that correct?

2. Do Thumbtack know the reason for the reduction in leads that Pros here have reported?

4. Do Thumbtack think that this is a problem that Thumbtack should be working on right now to resolve?

2-4 That said, we know the system isn’t perfect yet, and there are pros letting us know. As that happens we've been forwarding pro feedback and their experiences in order to make it better. Remember that improving Thumbtack takes time. So we ask for your patience as we work through your feedback and make improvements.

You say that you have been forwarding Pro feedback and suggestions in order to make Thumbtack better. I appreciate that.

However, these were not feedback, nor were they suggestions. I'm asking you to pass on any feedback. I'm not suggesting any changes. I'm not suggesting any improvements.

What I am doing is asking very specific questions related to the reduction in leads that I (and many other Pros on this board) have observed with the new system. I think the questions I am asking are reasonable and ones that someone at Thumbtack should be able to easily answer even with just a simple yes or a no. 

Is there anyone at Thumbtack who can do that?

5. Do Thumbtack have a policy or goal of reasonably helping and assisting its Pros (when possible) in their endeavors to sell their services to the leads they purchase from Thumbtack? If so could you elaborate please.

There are many things that our teams are working on to resolve a lot of the pain points that the pros are reporting. Keep an eye out as we continue those monthly update posts.

I'm going to take that as a yes then and assume that Thumbtack DO have a policy or goal of reasonably helping and assisting its Pros (when possible) in their endeavors to sell their services to the leads they purchase from Thumbtack.

If my assumption is wrong then please correct me.

In closing, regarding these three questions...

I respectfully ask that you please forward them to the appropriate person (or persons) in Thumbtack who is in a position to provide an informed answer. A simple yes or no would suffice, unless the person answering the questions would like to elaborate.

Thank you @Kameron.

Regards,
Laurence.

ReeseTee
Level 7

Here is a question---issue and suggestion:

TT_bbb_Apr02.jpg

I am the admin of an unofficial FB group of TT Pro's. Someone else started the group, had success with Thumbtack, sold his cleaning business, traded up to flipping houses, and handed the management of the group over to me.

I have often wondered if my group (and maybe this group) is nothing more than a collection of sore losers. With thousands of super successful TT Pro's simply being to busy to spend time in either group?

So here is my suggestion: How about Thumbtack reaches out to those thousands of super happy successfull Pro's, and ask them for the favor of giving you a good review on the BBB website?  I actually posted a five star review for TT, (no one asked me) several years ago, when TT was still doing the credit system.

The way the BBB is handling the ratings for TT, is in part why I downgraded my own BBB listing. One has to look hard. TT has an "A" rating. But the STAR rating is somewhere between one and two stars. If my Thumbtack profile was 1.1 stars...I would be in big trouble.

MMM_Memories
Level 7

THUMBTACK PRO FB GROUP?? Re: Fewer Leads

Woah. Thanks for mentioning the FB group. I've found and just joined. I've always wanted to hear from real pros in a neutral space. I hope it helps me judge the pulse of the pro community.
Thanks,
MMM