results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
MR
Level 10

Ghost leads - Old subject continues to have new life

For a certain business reason, about 2 weeks ago I turned on Target for my categories in a rather wide geography. Happily the number of leads significantly increased and the number of leads that picked me as a pro increased as well. This is a good thing.

Obviously, with the number of leads selecting me the amount of money I am spending on TT has increased as well.

But, even though I have seen a nice uptick in the number of leads in my inbox, if I remember correctly, even after multiple attempts to reach out to the lead, maybe one or two actually responded in any way. The ghost rate here remains deplorable. Now, I dont need to rehash the many complaints that have been posted, but I ask what is being done to at least give us pros an indication of whether or not these people are real or are serious about hiring me???? I widened my scope as an experiment to see what I could get in some new geographies, but without some kind of assurance or positive sign, I will have to turn it off as fast as I turned it on.

When are we going to see read - receipts? When are we going to see some indication that the lead is serious... when are the leads going to actually start responding to the pros' multiple messages almost begging to see if the lead has a heartbeat????

TT, this issue has festered far too long. Somebody over there needs to start taking action on this in a tangible way that ALL pros can see. Please provide an update on this very important issue.

9 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Ghost leads - Old subject continues to have new life

@MR I think the biggest piece to answering your questions here could be in the conversation that you were involved in HERE. As I said we'll release more news about this once we're ready to share it, but I think it is a step in the right direction and goes to show the type of initiatives that we're working towards when it comes to this topic. 

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

@Kameron   Thanks, but that update is from 3 weeks ago. I was hoping the dial has moved forward on this issue and that more could be revealed. Pros are hungry for an answer on this one and the dissatisfaction continues to grow. It would really be helpful if TT would be willing to put a commitment as to when a response of substance will be released. 

Moderator Kameron

@MR that specific update is one that has yet to be fully launched and announced to all pros. Understandably it's one that many pros were so excited for and began to speak with others about. What I'll say is there may be more to it than what you've heard second hand and we're working hard share more in the next few weeks. I think much of it will serve to address the concerns you've raised here.

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

@Kameron   Great to hear. We look forward to hearing more.  Thank you.

dh_design29
Level 4

I am with you on this one. I have had several potential customers reach out for "estimates" and it was listed as I was the only one they chose. However, in the last 3 instances, there was never another word from them. In fact, one of the leads that I was conversing with and making plans to work together, just stopped responding altogether. It doesn't seem to be a customer problem, but something wrong with the messaging system. I did reply to all of these people who chose me, within an hour of their posting it. 

Read receipts are essential to pros! I wish they'd add them. At this point, we have no idea if we're being ghosted or if they've decided against it. And no, I'm not giving an actual estimate in my first reply, because I have no idea of the scope of their work. Instead, I send a very polite and cheerful note, saying I'm happy to provide an estimate with just a little more information about their project. 

Lar
Level 9

@dh_design29 said, "Read receipts are essential to pros! I wish they'd add them. At this point, we have no idea if we're being ghosted or if they've decided against it."

Pros used to be notified when their messages has been read - Thumbtack decided to remove this feature about 6 months ago presumably because they thought it was better for Pros to not know whether their messages were actually being read or not. 

0 Kudos
GrampysMagic
Level 7

Customer "Ghosting"

I am really getting tired of paying for customer "ghosting".  Case in point, on Oct.25 the customer (Jennifer Kibbon) was looking for a magic show and balloon twisting for Oct.26 (the NEXT day...short lead time).  She contacted myself and 1 other pro.  I responded, the other did not.  I got charged the $10.70 and never heard a word out of her.  I'm not happy about being charged for this "lead".  You guys need to start giving us contact phone numbers for clients when you do direct targeting.  I'm not at my computer 24/7 and niether is the client.

Lar
Level 9

Re: Customer "Ghosting"

I agree wholeheartedly @GrampysMagic. As a fellow Magician I get similar leads to this and I too feel that $10.70 for this type of lead is way over priced.

In my experience Thumbtack routinely overvalue the 'quality' of the leads that I see. I say that because I track the hires of my competitors and I can tell you that hardly any of them get hired on Thumbtack anymore despite paying for and responding to leads. From my own stats I can easily see that the 'hire rate' for my service in my areas of coverage is exceptionally low.  

With so many 'ghosts' and so few leads ever hiring ANY Pro the quality of Thumbtack leads is questionable.

Given the historically low probability of actually being hired (or for that matter of the lead even bothering to respond to you) a cost of $2.50-$3.50 would I feel be a more reasonable fee for this type of lead.

Regards,
Laurence.

GrampysMagic
Level 7

Re: Customer "Ghosting"

I TOTALLY agree!  I'm going broke paying these hi prices and not getting gigs.  I USE to be a Top Pro before this pricing debocale...

0 Kudos