Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
HansenJC
Level 10

Re: Is managing your services working for you? - More Changes?!

Today I went to check my services and did a search for "Home Inspection" to review my competitors. (I do this daily now to see where I rank) When I type in Home Inspection, I now get many more job types listed. Examples (but not all of the new ones) House Inspection, Pre Listing Home Inspection; Pre Purchase Home Inspection; Foundation Inspection. But I do not see these listed as a service that I can build a meaningful price structure. ~~ Or I may choose to opt out of some of them.

This makes me wonder if the Job Posters are choosing a Service that I have yet to set up in my profile and I am missing out on them?

And a very critical issue is that these new additions to the choices that Job Posters can make was never communicated to me.

This needs immediate attention from TT to resolve the mis-match between what a Job Poster sees and what the Pros have available to list as their services.

How can TT justify these changes without notifying the Pros?

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@HansenJC I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're seeing. To eliminate any confusion, can you share a screenshot of what you're referring to?

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

Perhaps, publish a list of all the job descriptions that a Job Poster may choose that will be matched by TT to my chosen services. At the moment I only have Home inspections. But I have no way of knowing what Requests that my profile will be matched to by the TT program.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Kudos
JSGDS
Level 7

Re: Is managing your services working for you?

@Kameron Ok i just had to edit this into my post because i realized im not on topic with the question about "how managing services is working?"  quick response - just fine all my services fall in TT's two services offered (in my field).  Only bummer is one service costs a lot more to respond to than the other and sometimes customers get them mixed up but ill take the good with the bad.  It would be nice to be able to give a range on certain things or the ability to explain to customers why you cant give a price or what info or pics you would need in order to give a price. But as long as I still have the ability to accept or decline any lead I'm happy.  I'm still posting my other suggestions too because it took me awhile to write lol

@CordeliaH @Meckell@CordeliaH  TT overall works great for us the only things that would be nice improvements for us would beScreenshot_20190524-053141.jpg"i need such and such"1. Ability to have customers call you instantly.  If a customer says "I need such and such" if there was a way to have a button on the search page or on your profile so the customer can just click and boom it calls your office/business line/cell or whatever the pro chooses.  My theory to why this would be great- Yes a good portion of people like to text and email but when it comes to setting up a service there is a LARGE amount of people that prefer to hear a real voice to ensure there getting a local pro who can meet there needs.  Call me old fashioned but when I'm looking for home service or help i would like to speak with someone live on the phone before i give out any personal information; and why would I spend extra time on messaging back and forth after browsing profiles and waiting for responses when i can just google "I need such and such" and click "call" on the profile i like most and be instantly connected to someone live.  I don't know if this is possible on your end but if a customer could search what they need and click a "call pro" button id gladly pay whatever the lead cost is (as long as i had the ability to turn it on/off).  This may also help with ghost leads as well.

2.  The ability to see if a customer dose not read or reply to your/other pros response.  I don't NEED to know if a customer read other pro responses and I don't NEED to know if customer read my response but if I knew one of the two i would be able to know if i should send another msg the next day (maybe the customer got distracted or something came up).   I dont like to nag customers or seem like a bother. 

3. A fun way to earn points toward free leads!  What if you got 1 point for every 5 star review/hired/quick response, or whatever; and if you got 5 points you get a free lead.  I know I would definitely be following up with all customers making sure they marked the pro as "hired" and left feedback (thus customers are using the TT app more and hopefully coming back to use TT againSmiley Happy

Either way TT rocks and you all don't need to change a thing (the phone call button would be great though) so keep up the good work and thanks for looking to continuously improve!!! 

0 Kudos
jcp
Level 9

Here is another thing I can’t manage under video production services - I just saw today when I search as a “customer” it shows a list of video producers - you scroll down and Thumbtack has a message that says “why hire professionals on Thumbtack?” And the second reason says “compare prices side by side”. Because we can not put our price ranges in this category - how is it possible for customers to see our prices or price range if we don’t even have a choice to “manage” that in this service category? And therefore customers can not do a side by side price comparison. That’s not fair. And so when we ask for a refund because the customer has a budget that’s way below market rate and something we would never, ever quote to begin with - there has to be some compromise here. It’s simply wrong for Thumbtack to refuse a refund when clearly we don’t have the ability to manage our rates. Besides - my hourly rate varies on the project as well. A corporate promo video rate is different than a individual who wants a :30 second Instagram video. We have no way of “managing”’this and therefore pay for leads that are not suited for us or the customer.
HansenJC
Level 10

Re: Is managing your services working for you? ~~ One to One matches, please.

Every time I look at this question a new wrinkle in tha fabric occures to me. I have read most of these responses and I notice one comment that brings up the need for a one to one match for jobs. I know I have said this too. So I ask Thumbtack, why do you not enforce a one to one match? And have you any data on the effect of allowing the matching software to send leads that are "related to my service". That one feature needs to be refined or eliminated.

I am seeing Pros who are clearly NOT RELATED to my service showing up when I do a search for myself. I am checking that quite regularly now. And the only answer that I can come up with is that the "Send me jobs leads that are related" is a failed use of the platform. It might work for a handiman who is interested in mowing lawns but for many many services there is no such thing as "related".  Have you been listening to the video production Pros? Imagine the algorithm matching a Snake Charmer with a request for a custom Charm Bracelet. How about an electrical contractor getting a lead for a home Inspection because he has gotten reviews for inspecting electrical problems. I have seen plumbers showing in results for HVAC service. And chimney sweeps showing up for things related to homes just because the home has a chimney. We as pros have no control over that feature of Thumbtack and we will never gain the value that you think is offered by the "Send me lead for jobs that are related." It does not help the pro or the job poster.

TT seems to have a very strange way of assigning value to the things the program does and the things you have removed from the program.

Remove the "Send me related job leads" and make the match between the pro and the job leads a one to one match.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections

1) Managing travel options is impossible.  Travel is calculated by radius, which means mileage is calculated on a straight line from Point A to Point B.  This is totally nonesensical considering people have to drive.  For example, I had a customer who was "willing to travel to Pro up to 25 miles", but when I mapped her address on my GPS she was 35-40 miles away.  I had brought this up to a Thumbtack rep and he explained to me that "distance is calculated by 'Radius' and not by land travel" (actual quote from representative, he was awful by the way).  He refused my refund.  It doesn't make sense to include me to be within 25 miles of a customer if she has to trave BY LAND 35 miles.  *SOLUTION: USE REAL LAND MILES CALCULATED BY GPS* 

2) Piggy-backing off of that, the same rep said a solution to my "problem" was to ONLY include jobs within a 25 mile radius.  I told him this would then limit my personal travel to 25 miles even though I'm open to travel up to 100 miles.  

3) Managing customer jobs is very disorganized.  I suggest also being able to view jobs in a calendar view of all potential jobs to see how many are being requested on the same day.  Also, being able to filter jobs in our inbox by name, date, job, etc., like a spreadsheet style.  Right now, the only way to audit our leads is to go back one by one.  The current system is too simplistic.

4) In addition to #3, the 30 day max refund policy should have extensions, exceptions, or not exist at all.  I recently discovered a customer has sent me a duplicate request for a different service, but for the same event.  She sent me a request on April 3rd and again on May 12th.  She responded to one, but not the other.  Because of the difference in time, the requests don't populate in the same month making it very hard to see that it's the same customer.  Again, I'm illegible for a refund.

5) Make the calendar and business hours match our leads.  On several occasions - for months now - I've been matched to leads that are not within my availability.  And, I've autopaid for these because my preferences are Promoted.  Before, when leads are not within my preferences, I've been asked to accept or decline these leads.  That is no longer.  My business hours are 8am-7pm, closed on Sundays.  I've autopaid for leads serveral times for Sundays or earlier than 8am.  If we are given tools to manage our business, why does Thumbtack override them?  Of course I requested a refund and the customer service rep was again, very difficult.  I did eventually get my refund, but the fact I had to prove a point is frustrating.

Thumbtack - YOUR FLAWS cost ME money.  I feel like Thumbtack has trained their reps to follow the policy despite the holes in it.  Furthermore, I feel like these defects seem are common sense and common decency.  Thumbtack shouldn't be so reluctant to issue refeunds for these types of issues.  I've accepted, as much as I don't want to, leads that don't respond, but to pay for a lead that's not within my distance? To pay for a lead who wants to work outside of my business hours? To pay twice for the same person? And then to be denied?  It's ruthless and I'm getting to the point where I feel like I need to look elsewhere for a better way to promote my services.  Even the dreaded Yelp demon because, honestly, what is the difference at this point.  It feels like Thumbtack is on a rampage charging my credit card and not giving to thoughts about if it is even a legitimate charge.  

jcp
Level 9

I agree with all you’ve said. I’ve been “pausing” promote a lot and it helps. Do not change you weekly budget because it will re start the following Monday. Keeping you on the weekly budget until then - even if you change it mid week. I “pause” promote several times during the week either because of budget or I can’t respond quick enough because I’m busy. I’m spending way too much on bogus, ghosting leads! People asking “give me estimate” then don’t hear back. Customers should know that we pay to respond. Thy helps us. Oh - but I guess you can’t do that because less people would respond if they felt they had to be ready to hire. If they are just searching for price they shouldn’t contact unless serious. Our prices are listed - or should be properly. The whole pricing is wrong anyway!
DJStevie
Level 12

@CordeliaH 

Hoping that you get to read this and pass it on.

With the recent change in the budget question, which isn't helpful at all, Thumbtack has given the "customer" the option to say that they will only pay under $300, or $300-$400 for a brief event, when in essence their event is 4+ hours long as we have discussed on other threads last week.  My pricing is a fixed price, yet, when a "customer" has chosen me to be their DJ and explains their financial situation, I will negotiate pricing AFTER they chose me, not have them deem what I should charge. Thumbtack is taking away another way of my being personable, which is a big part of who I am and how I've been successful throughout my career.

So, without trying to be sarcastic, please explain why is Thumbtack taking that away from me, along with "customers" having more control, where we had the control last year to filter out the quality leads for us?

DJ Stevie 7-8-2019

0 Kudos