Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?

Just another scam

As a service to you, the community, I engaged an obvious scammer, just to get info to report it.  I would also submit a TT suspicious activity report, but as this came in on my phone outside of Thumbtack, there's no "Report" button.  I'll leave this here.

I'm a computer doctor, and right away I recognized this as a scam from earlier experience.

Here are some highlights (saved the whole transcript):

Hello , how are you doing today, i will like to know if you are available for laptop repair... I got your contact on Thumbtack thanks.

Joshua R. Fried:
Sure! Thanks for reaching out. I'm located in NYC.

Thanks so much for the reply I currently have 25 pieces of Lenovo laptops 💻 which has windows 7 on each laptop I want to upgrade them to windows 10 each... what’s the total cost for the job?
In located in NYC Also I’m Randal Hock

Joshua R. Fried:
Ok how do you want to work it?.................

Good your estimate sounds good and i will like you to know i am presently in the hospital recovery from Lung cancer I hope you accept credit cards?...............

Thanks so much, i am also willing to proceed with the payment but i will need a little favor from you .Thanks

Joshua R. Fried:
OK

Actually something came up this morning Am having a little issue with the initial owner of the store where because when I bought the laptops I only paid 85 percent for the laptops but due to the situation on ground now am out of cash and she does not have the facility to take credit card for me to balance her..

Joshua R. Fried:
Ok

:
So I will give you my card to charge for the sum of $7000 plus the extra 3% credit card charges and when the money clears in your account you would deduct the sum of $2000 deposit for your service and you take $150 for tips because of the stress you will be taking true and the tax fee and you we help me to send the remaining $4850 to the ex owner of the store hope my message is clear to you...........................

[Yeah, it was clear alright]

Ok good
I will like you to send me an invoice of $7000 to my mail now at 

I bailed shortly after, saying I'd get back in touch when ready.

Occupations (1)
9 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: Just another scam

I'm sorry this happened @Mac_House_Calls. If you see suspicious activity like this, we want to know about it. You can follow these steps here to report it.

I want to look into this further and make sure we get you taken care of. Can you send me a private message with the name of the customer? 

0 Kudos

Thanks for responding, @Meckell

As I mentioned in the post, I can't click "report" as this was sent outside of Thumbtack.

All the identifying data you ask for was already within the transcript I included in the post...but I see that was edited out by Thumbtack! I'll send the private info you requested.

You said :
I want to look into this further and make sure we get you taken care of.

To be clear, I'm not asking for Thumbtack to take care of me here.   As I said in the post, I offered the information for others.  To me it was obviously a scam and I only proceeded to inform others.

0 Kudos

Oops!  I didn't notice Thumbtack edited out the identifying info.  I've edited the above post and I will send the private message you asked for!

0 Kudos
Jwe
Level 4

I've had the same experience 3 times so far, the only difference was geared to my trade.
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@Jwe were you able to get those reported? 

0 Kudos
Jwe
Level 4

Make that 6 times, so far
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Meckell

@Jwe were you able to talk to someone about these? If not, I'm happy to help! Just send me a private message with the names of the customers. 

0 Kudos
temucollc
Level 4

Re: Welcome to our newest Community users! (6/6)

I would like to comment and make known something that is already second or third time that happens to me. They start to get text messages, saying that they really like our work, that they have seen it on Thumbtack,
and that they have a project in their house. The funny thing, and it is here where they must begin to distrust, is that they are missionaries or business people, but they are not in the city, state or in the country. They ask you to do a job (which you may have quoted, but they always offer you more money than agreed) and they will give you more money, 5,000 or 7,000 more, because it is necessary to pay a plumber or realtor, but that the client will pay the taxes of what this operation involves. Well, in summary, when you ask for a picture of the credit card, there is no problem, but when you ask for a picture of the ID, the problems begin there, because they do not want ..... eye !!! .... now When a client starts writing to me by text message, I warn you that without ID photography I will not do any work .....

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Re: Welcome to our newest Community users! (6/6)

@temucollc thanks for sharing your experience about this. If you ever see something like this on Thumbtack, we definitely want to know about it. Please follow these steps to report it. 

0 Kudos